• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Pulley system or no pulley system..?

• Thread starter imported_Theautoguy
  • Start date
I

imported_Theautoguy

OK, I used the last couple of trips to the track to focus on the next little mod to the Regal. I was eyeing a pulley system with a stock-sized pulley, a 3.4 pulley and 3.25 pulley, I'm currently running a 3.4. I want the versatility of changing from a daily driven 3.4 to a track 3.25 to a more Winter friendly stock size for the wife to drive it. I recorded knock and boost number for the last few runs and I'm observing a burp or two of .5-2.0 degrees of knock retard near the top end. With that, I'd feel comfortable to go to a 3.25 pulley at the track...but...I'm also reading a peak of 12 pounds of boost too! I'm hesitant on running a smaller pulley and risk boost stacking and a potential gasket failure. I do not want to dump headers or an I/C in this thing anytime soon.

I suppose what I'm asking advice on is with a knock count of 0, a knock retard under 2 in tiny little burps and the boost regularly peaking at 12 pounds around 6000 RPM, can I run a 3.25? If so, should I shift before 6000 RPM and before the peak boost levels, perhaps at 5800 RPM? Am I going to stack boost to the point of failures or ???

In addition to the 3.4 pulley, my pertinant mods are;

U-bend delete
Full 3" exhaust
MSP CAI
180 degree thermostat
DHP

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Keep away from the 3.25 unless you plan on running race gas with it. If you're running any knock with an existing pulley, you're not yet ready to drop down another size, at least not in my opinion. In the winter you might be able to get away with running a 3.3, perhaps a 3.25, but I wouldn't push it.

Would the wallet allow rockers and a Modular system? That would set you up quite nicely.

J.E.T.

Reaction score
Regardless of your decision, you definately need a modular pulley system. It's just soooo much more convenient and versatile!

J.E.T.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom