🔧 BUILD Turbo 3800 T56 Swapped G-body Grand Prix w/ Holley EFI

General Information

So after joining a long time ago, I thought I'd reenter with a build thread!

The car is my 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham.

Index for people who hate long threads like me:
First time running:

Finally fixed the 4000rpm breakup

T5 Carnage/4l60e swap

Power tour 2018 Mad rush to get done:

Rear Disc brakes swap/axle shenanigans

Power Tour 2019 Prep:

Glamor shots before power tour 19:

2020 quick trip

L67 short block swap and PNP:

2021 Power Tour Prep and T56 Swap:

New Wheels Before Power Tour 2021!

Late 2021 Season Refresh: Bigger Turbo, Ford 9", 1.9 rockers and little fixes:

2022 Updates: Cam swap, next engine, twin disc Monster clutch, Holley Terminator X conversion:

1688879639988.png

THIqdP5.jpg

It originally had a Buick 4.1 liter V6 from the factory with a 350 transmission behind it. Back in high school we thought it'd be a good idea to swap an L27 into it since we had it lying around and thought it'd be cheap quick. Anything was better than the knocking 4.1 with only 130hp though. We ended up using a 700r4 as the transmission, but the transmission never played nicely despite our best efforts to fix it. The engine was shoehorned under the hood too so I gave up on it and it has been just sitting around until now. It was a silly idea and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

mDLVV10.jpg

9TlaxWT.jpg

Now I finally have plans for the car. I acquired a donor car for the whole drivetrain and am getting ready to go to town.

The donor car is 1998 Camaro with an L36 3800 and a world class Tremec T5 transmission. The car has only 112,000 miles on it and it was totaled in a front end collision. The plan is to pull everything out of the Camaro and retrofit basically everything I can into the Grand Prix. Electronically and as far as the engine and transmission go, it will be a 1998 Camaro. It's getting the engine and transmission (obviously), the PCM, BCM, and basically everything else I can stuff into the Grand Prix while still maintaining its appearance (RKE, RAP, newer chime module, etc.). Everything should have no problem playing nicely and I should be able to reuse my motor mounts, transmission mounts, and also my current driveshaft AFAIK. The Camaro is likely to be parted out afterwards.
Most current pics I've taken:

fhbQ2oX.jpg

VM9q2xG.jpg

8O0JUCf.jpg

jsLK0M7.jpg

The main highlight of the build however is the turbo!

WBZ0ErI.jpg

This is a Holset HX35. I'm not going for a huge crazy build, but I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 hp with it. The holset should do pretty well with these goals, but I'm considering switching to a HY35 exhaust housing over the twin scroll housing.
We're looking at fabbing up our own manifolds for this and going with a 3" exhaust after the turbo. Also going to be using a 3" intercooler.

pfkhroY.jpg

The exterior of the car will stay basically stock including the vinyl top. Sleepers ftw :fy:

Other plans include stiffer sway bars, better shocks, and lowering springs front and rear for about a 1.5" - 2" drop. I'm also going to take the body off the frame so we can add more frame bracing since these frames are pretty flimsy from the factory. Also using 16 x 8 IROC Camaro rims for now with probably 245/50-16 tires for now. I might go wider in the rear though.
I've also got an 8.5" axle from an A-body Olds for it. It looks like it'll need quite a bit of work, but I also have a few different sets of ring/pinion gears for it. I'll probably stick with the 3.73 set. The axle supposedly doesn't use c-clips to hold the axles in, but I think that whatever is supposed to hold them in is missing. It'll also need at least a new passenger side axle since the previous owner drilled larger studs in. It currently has disc brake rotors on it, and also caliper mounting brackets that supposedly fit "metric gm" calipers, but I really have no idea what will fit it. In the meantime though I'll use my 7.5" for now with the disc brakes from the Camaro until the 7.5" breaks.

OdvU1MC.jpg

Any idea what these brakes are from?

YWHcNT7.jpg

I know most people with these cars are obsessed with carbureted V8's, but I feel like I've made the right choice here. The V6 will be much lighter than a V8 especially with a manual transmission. This will help to remove extra weight from the front of the car and bring it closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. It'll also offer a ton of power and still give great fuel economy. Not to mention I can also tune it with my laptop! I suppose the idea is it's basically a Pontiac Grand National but with the more modern 3.8, more power, and a manual transmission.

The biggest challenge will be getting the turbo in here, and also getting the manual transmission into the car. Luckily the T5 uses a hydraulic clutch so clutch fork geometry won't be an issue. I'm still a little bit hesitant about cutting up my floorboards for the shifter though. It's looking like I will also have to do something about the seats since the shifter will sit where the middle seat is at. We'll see about using a center console... Those bridges will be crossed when we come to them though.

The first challenge was transporting the car over to my brother's house where there's a garage I can work on this in. I originally tried to just drive it out there, but the engine pretty much said "fuck this, I'm done". After a long night, we ended up trailer-ing it the next day.

lC9Ak5N.jpg

vkKgIsN.jpg

Here it is finally in the garage last night:

CoAkvNn.jpg

yeah, it's dark. my bad.

Progress!

EplyXZU.jpg

front clip removed:

vi3O9Fa.jpg

ZTcTwrI.jpg

engine removed:

12huSIv.jpg

A9jAPYz.jpg

I'm powered by Rockstar!

8PhMj52.jpg

So much room for activities!!!

B5IVhTP.jpg

So basically all of the remains of the L27 are gone. I have also started to separate the body from the frame. I got all of the body mounts disconnected, but called it quits after attempting to remove the rear bumper. Hopefully I can get the body off the frame tomorrow and get started on removing the engine and transmission from the Camaro. I've got a long road ahead of me, but I'll have this done for the Woodward Dream Cruise I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I'm down to try the stock lifters on the engine I just pulled from the junkyard. That engine had less than 137,000 miles on it so I'm sure it's all in good shape.
Haven't taken a lifter apart before but I'm down to try the heavy c clip though too
I definitely have enough spare stock and ls7 lifters lying around ?

These are the lifters I ran in the car since I've been running the Thrasher race cam:
Had no issues putting about 3,000 miles on the whole setup with the old engine that was low on compression on one hole so I'm pretty convinced the engine I used this last time has something blocked somewhere
Can't wait to see how damaged my timing cover is now. Replacing mine is going to be annoying because it has a pipe thread insert welded into where the coolant elbow would go and I can't weld aluminum yet. I've always relied on my brother Mattstrike Mattstrike to do my aluminum welding but now that I'm in Nashville that's going to be difficult lol. Might finally be time to buy a TIG welder ?

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I can't really speak from a longevity standpoint, but I've got about 500 miles on my L36 head top swapped L67 and no ticking yet and just ran the lifters through the parts washer, goobered em up in assembly lube and tossed em back in. Probably throw my 136 springs in with stock cam sooner or later just to make sure I don't hit valve float when I put good fuel in and turn up the bewst.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Took apart the timing cover and oil pump and it was looking pretty rough.

C6FB5c6.jpg

Would've run it if it weren't for this piece of metal that was worn into it. I'm thinking this may have been causing some of the squeaking I was hearing on the last engine but idk. Better safe than sorry right?
DPSVhBC.jpg

This was the original timing cover from the L36 that came with the original donor 98 Camaro.
Also almost cleaned up this rough casting for where the timing cover outputs oil to the rest of the engine but there ended up being no point messing with this cover. Thought some might find it interesting how rough that casting is though
qnhCh7e.jpg

You can definitely feel that trashed metal in the oil pump though so this necessitated switching over to a normal timing cover. This also meant figuring out what to do for the heater core lines since my last one had a pipe thread insert welded into it.
The port is too large for a 3/4" npt thread and too small for a 1" npt thread or at least it seemed too close to risk it. Decided to just run a coolant elbow but needed to find a way to hold it in since I modified the accessory bracket so much. This seems like it should do the trick though:

OI4slFr.jpg

1ywxPmH.jpg

so that's just a steel piece with a rubber grommet on it where it touches the aluminum coolant elbow. Hopefully that should be enough to keep the aluminum from getting worn through with all of the vibrations going on here.

New camshaft

f1xx7zq.jpg

hWoOteK.jpg

9Gv6RYD.jpg

big surprise I know lol

Ended up buying a few more LS7 lifters to complete a set with the remaining 4 from my last two sets.

So once again here is where things are now for the engine:
137k mile L67 from the junkyard
old home PnP heads
150# PAC valve springs
double roller
ST5
3/8" pushrods
ZZP MLS gaskets
ARP head studs
160# injectors.
GMPP LS7 lifters $$$

fh6SeH7.jpg

Only thing different here this time though is the short block, camshaft, and I have a 67mm GT45 turbo I'm going to switch to this time. The bigger turbo and the ST5 should make this thing even more ridiculous than it already is :LOL:
It'll take a bit more RPM to spool compared to the old 62mm billet wheel turbo but it is what it is haha.

I already have another project car lined up now that I'm going to put that 62mm turbo into so I'm real f-ing excited for that lol

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Hopefully the next update is with the car running again. Waiting on a few parts in the mail since apparently 2 day shipping is no longer a thing with Amazon. Pretty sure Summit is faster now for getting special parts that stores don't carry.

GT45 incoming

Old turbo on the right, new on the left:

jipERwS.jpg

I'm pretty sure that old turbo was sized absolutely perfectly for a stock to mild cam 3800. It was a twin scroll 62mm with a billet wheel so the spool was really fast with it. I figured it was finally time to put something bigger on here though. Definitely going to re-use the old one on another mild 3800 build haha.

New one is a 67mm so it should make plenty of power for this thing. It's going to take much longer to spool though so I'm going to lose a lot of bottom end torque but that's alright for this car I think.
I don't really have a HP goal for this car anymore with the way things are set up in it so if this whole build works out it'll probably stay this way for a while. I'll probably leave this at 20 psi of boost and 25 on the scramble for now and see where that puts things. Really can't fit a bigger turbo in here with the way the exhaust and everything is else is setup here and changing things will make it lose its glorious exhaust note ?

Fitment is tiiiight!

pKoDLes.jpg

X1G6yY7.jpg

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
This thing is finally running again! Took my time with it a little bit on this swap to try and make sure I didn't forget anything.
I still have a couple quirks to work out but otherwise this thing runs crazy well compared to how it was before. I don't know if it's the new engine or the new camshaft but this thing runs crazy smooth now compared to how it used to run and I haven't messed with the tune at all on it since I swapped from the Thrasher race cam to the ST5.

This thing pulls much harder above 5,000 rpm right now or at least it feels like it with all of the turbo lag I have now. Sad part about the turbo lag is that last year I wasn't able to find a single billet wheel 69mm GT45 knockoff turbo when I bought this one but now they're everywhere apparently. I'm sure if this turbo had a billet wheel it would spool much much faster but it is what it is and I'm happy with it for now.

ayRlQi4.jpg

I haven't given it full throttle yet and I've kept the boost down to 10 psi and the rpms below 6,000 for now but here's a video of some of my shakedown run:

I have a few bugs to look at still but I think I'm glad I can finally move on to the next project haha

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So the car has been doing really well since the engine and cam swap so far. I think it's safe to say my lifter issues were from the old engine since everything is going so well here!

I've driven this thing to Michigan and back to Nashville twice now and haven't had anything too crazy happen yet. Took it up to Michigan over last weekend for our annual fall color tour we do with a few friends in northern Michigan each year.
I beat on this thing pretty hard at least with only 20 psi of boost and 6,500 rpm pulls and it has been taking it all like a champ! I did manage to blow one of the flex pipes somewhere in the exhaust system pre-turbo though but I figured that would probably happen at some point :LOL:

I've been having some intermittent voltage issues lately too that were getting pretty bad on color tour this year. I finally found the culprit though, somewhere in this fuse box there is a loose connection on the main power rail causing the stud to not transfer power to the relays and fuses. Pretty much everything in the "run" mode of the power system is powered by this fuse box so this might have been a pretty big issue all along...
I put on a temporary 10awg bandaid from the main stud to the bottom rail for now though so I could get the car home. Depending on how the Cutlass shapes up I'll probably take apart all of the power distribution and do things differently over the winter.
mhaVDaf.jpg

This year's group for color tour:
FcqahR5.jpg

LvbDCGN.jpg

Cool bridge in northern Michigan we discovered this year!
wbke1RC.jpg

0CkAW6L.jpg

The final gang for the leg home towards southern Michigan:
tUgvD8g.jpg

Thread Info