Project L67 Fiero

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
2nd day of the build week:

I spent a lot of time tracking down bolts/parts for the reassembly. Its frustrating as I know I have the parts but can't remember where they are since everything was taken apart at different stages and in between moving a few times.

What I got done today:

Painted the engine oil pan
Flushed old oil out, added new oil and filter
Installed LIM, GenV s/c, a/c delete pulley and w/p pulley on engine
Installed new oil pressure sender and coolant temp sensor
Cleaned up ignition coil pack
Bought pressure plate bolts, installed flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc
Installed new release bearing in trans
Installed trans onto engine cradle

I was going to mount the engine tonight as well but can't track down the bolts to attach the engine mount to the engine block. I'll track them down tomorrow or go to the hardware store and pick some up. Another issue is the cradle I built is a little too low for my engine hoist to fit under. It's going to be a bit tricky trying to mate the engine/trans together tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

Here are some pictures of todays progress:

XYhDIb9.jpg

Oil Pan before

kPHte8m.jpg

cTg8wZG.jpg

axFJnOh.jpg

h2ePgtu.jpg

Today I also ordered insulation matting for the rear firewall, a strainer for the fuel pump, and a can of POR-15 to coat the fuel tank before installation. Also, I finally heard back from a vendor who shipped out the last piece to my low alt mount set up, pretty excited to finally get that put together.

On the agenda for tomorrow:

Mount engine to trans/cradle
Install starter
Clean up Gen III fuel rail and install
Tap LIM coolant outlet and water pump outlet for heater lines
Remove ball joints and rubber bushings from lower control arms
Program PCM for manual trans

Hopefully I'll knock off quite a few of those items tomorrow as I wait for a few more parts to arrive.

Side note, anyone have a 1' and 3/4' NPT tap I could borrow for a few hours? Need it in order to route cooling lines.

Last edited:

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I saw a good bodied Fiero at j-yard in Aurora off farnsworth, The body panels all looked faded but not damaged. From the little I know the engine looked mostly intack. Dash and all that looked good to, as I remember seats where gone. Also from the headlight assemblies seemed all there.
I ment to tell you this last week and forgot, sorry.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I saw a good bodied Fiero at j-yard in Aurora off farnsworth, The body panels all looked faded but not damaged. From the little I know the engine looked mostly intack. Dash and all that looked good to, as I remember seats where gone. Also from the headlight assemblies seemed all there.
I ment to tell you this last week and forgot, sorry.

If you are talking about the U-Pull-It in Aurora I've seen that Fiero and already removed what I needed from it lol. Thanks for the heads up though!

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Day 3 update:

Got the engine and transmission mounted together but have spent the majority of the day trying to line up the engine and transmission to the cradle mounts. The poly bushings have no forgiveness and are fighting everything inch of the way. I'm gonna make one last effort before calling it a night I'll update later with pictures.

I did receive the fuel pump strainer, heat insulation, POR-15 and block off plates. If all else fails I'll be able to get the tank painted and ready for install tomorrow and the firewall insulation cut and installed.

Things are going a lot slower than expected this week, hopefully things will pick up in the next few days.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Day 4 update:

After finally being able to line up the last trans mount I didn't get much else done today due to the rain that would be eventually rolling through. I did manage however to cut up the ignition coil bracket so it will fit in the Fiero's engine bay.

Before:

mBYuaNz.jpg

After:

lsdwfb4.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow the bracket for my low alternator setup will arrive so I can start to figure out the belts needed.

Last edited:

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Day 5 & 6 update:

No update for yesterday since most of the work completed was small but necessary. I ported/polished the exhaust manifolds, sanded and painted the fuel rail, painted the ignition coil bracket and coolant neck. Today i installed the fuel rail and injectors along with new o-rings, installed the ignition coil bracket, exhaust manifolds and spark plugs. I made a trip to the junkyard to pick up an idler pulley and tensioner for supercharger belt along with a few needed bolts. I unexpectedly ran into a member on here, D, and an 04' Comp G with the engine untouched. I bought the pulleys, bolts, GenV and matching LIM for only $100....pretty happy about the purchase. I got back and installed the s/c idler pulley and tensioner along with a belt for the 3.6 mps pulley and it fits perfectly.

I test fit the crossover pipe today and to no surprise there's an issue with the shift/select cables interfering with it. I'll have to modify the shift bracket....anybody who can weld want to help out?! Today the prep wash for the POR-15 arrived so I can paint the gas tank tomorrow as well as install the new fuel pump and strainer. If there's enough time I might be able to remove the old tank and install the new one.

Here are some pictures from today:

8BXIHNV.jpg

iHielDZ.jpg

BU4Lvjy.jpg

KlshNUU.jpg

Last edited:

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Day 7 update:

I got the gas tank painted and new fuel pump installed. All that is left in the way is mounting the engine wiring harness and putting the cradle back into the Fiero. At that point I'll at least be able to start it to ensure everything is in working order. I still need to fab up the exhaust as well as the mounts to make the shift & select cables for the transmission work.

Pictures:

HWh2Zxn.jpg

Gas tank being prepped for paint.

pX9z4kJ.jpg

Gas tank after 1 coat of paint.

Eh9sp4y.jpg

Gas tank after 3 coats of POR-15.

hYSqRXF.jpg

Old fuel pump

9xWwQWR.jpg

New fuel pump and strainer installed

Last edited:

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Well that week came and went pretty fast, and I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked. I'm at a stand still right now waiting on the final bracket for my alternator setup before I can really do much else. The guy keeps promising but nothings arrived yet.

I was able to route the wiring harness on the engine this weekend and replaced the old rubber fuel lines coming off the gas tank.

Here's hoping for a more exciting update later this week/weekend.

Thread Info