3800 "Professional" advice

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Ok......Im Craig. anyway I just bought a '04 GT and I was looking for the wisdom of the ILGPC to give me ideas of what mods are best for my car..... "Just trade it in for a GTP" ..... that is probably what your all thinking. WELL insurance for me is 1680 for 6 months on the GT..... so the GTP would be ungodly.......BUT adding a supercharger serperate wouldnt have an effect on it.......so HELP........ Thanks...

Craig

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
dunno....whenever i finally say....shit i dont have anymore money.....I know its gonna cost me probably around 3k for a supercharger and trans......give or take 500 bucks but what else besides that.....money isnt a huge issue...im not taking 500$ and saying OK this is what im useing on my car......i have extra cash all the time...... I know the exhaust will be around $700-1000 and the intake is $202..... but i know theres a lot more stuff

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 22 2005, 05:33 PM
dunno....whenever i finally say....shit i dont have anymore money.....I know its gonna cost me probably around 3k for a supercharger and trans......give or take 500 bucks but what else besides that.....money isnt a huge issue...im not taking 500$ and saying OK this is what im useing on my car......i have extra cash all the time...... I know the exhaust will be around $700-1000 and the intake is $202..... but i know theres a lot more stuff
[snapback]98575[/snapback]​

Putting a GTP blower on your car will require heads, intake manifold, s/c, crank pulley, PCM, injectors, so on and so on. If you replace the tranny (really it would be cheaper to upgrde your differential and call it a day) you can add a lot to that price.

You can make an intake from home depot for $75 including the filter. A full exhaust (headers back) CAN be done for $1k, but it will take either you doing all of the work, including welding, or having a mechanic that likes you.

Everyone loves the DHP PCM, at least they did when i still owned my gtp. :D

I say go turbo if you are going to do the boost thing. More flexibility IMO, and more efficient.

BC

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 22 2005, 05:19 PM
WELL insurance for me is 1680 for 6 months on the GT.....

[snapback]98572[/snapback]​
Hi Craig, and welcome.......Call this guy....I'm thinking you might be able to get a better rate of insurance through him and then have more money for mods. :) I pay about 72 bucks a month(before my discounts, then it's like 50 something) for full coverage on a GTP and I'm 23. His name is Brian Kobel and his number is 708-802-7373....tell him Becky Griffith referred you.....even if you can just get a quote or something....that's way too much to be paying for insurance, unless you have a horrible driving record. :)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 08:49 AM
ok well if i go turbo what are the best mods to start out with.... just a few so i can just get em as i get my money......exhaust, intake and pcm sounds like a good start..... but what next?
[snapback]98641[/snapback]​
Honestly, an exhaust is not a great idea for a fist mod. It's expensive, and doesn't give you much gain. For what you spend on a custom exhaust, a set-of PEM's, an air intake, and a small shot of N20 can get a serious time reduction. After that I'd look at rockers. Everything I listed is fairly inexpensive, and if you eventually go turbo can re-use some of it.

I've found on the 04's that the way the DP is made it's not that bad. The only really restrictive part is the flex; which is the same one used on the previous generation models. If you had a GTP, I'd suggest doing the whole DP, but just putting in a better flex would help you out a bit.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

That's a lot for insurance. I'm 36, married with 2 kids, so my rates are lower. For a '00 GTP, '04 Pacifica, homeowners insurance; I'm paying less than half of that for a whole year. I'm guessin you're under 25, huh? They really soak you if you're under 25.

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 10:01 AM
ok well.... sounds like i have a journey ahead of me.......sounds like fun......... and betty....... THANK YOU i called this morning and got quoted at 1330 for 6 months! w00t thats 100$ more than what i was paying for my 01 malibu.! and he is 5 min from my work ( im at frankfort radioshack)
[snapback]98656[/snapback]​
You're welcome...and you mean Becky??? LOL :) Cool...at least its a few hundred cheaper for you....and yeah my insurance includes 2 2001 GTP's, homeowners insurance and all that, and its just under a $200 bucks a month for all three....once I turn 25 it will drop more, but for now Brian's the way to go...he's very good and tries to get the best deal he possibly can. And as for having to file a claim, they respond very quickly....back when we had the couple hail storms the guy was out the next day to look at the cars and was upfront about deductibles, places to go for work, paying the difference of wahtever the deductible was.....overall, we've had very good experiences with him and I'd recommend him to anyone. Glad you were happy with the quote. :)

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 10:47 AM
I am 20.... and a guy....... and well....i get screwed lol and sorry BECKY :-( thats what i meant to say my fingers just had a typo..........
and if ya ever need anything from radioshack just let me know!
[snapback]98663[/snapback]​
LOL...I'll keep it in mind...never know what you might need. I'm famous for typos, so no worries on that. :)

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Fish+Sep 23 2005, 05:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sweetness
@Sep 23 2005, 03:49 AM
I say go turbo if you are going to do the boost thing.  More flexibility IMO, and more efficient.

BC
[snapback]98626[/snapback]​

Definatly. Turbo is the way to go.
[snapback]98634[/snapback]​
[/b]

I 100% agree with the fish man

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 22 2005, 05:19 PM
Ok......Im Craig. anyway I just bought a '04 GT and I was looking for the wisdom of the ILGPC to give me ideas of what mods are best for my car..... "Just trade it in for a GTP" ..... that is probably what your all thinking. WELL insurance for me is 1680 for 6 months on the GT..... so the GTP would be ungodly.......BUT adding a supercharger serperate wouldnt have an effect on it.......so HELP........ Thanks...

Craig
[snapback]98572[/snapback]​

I have a 99 GT I'm twenty also, I got it when I was seventeen so atleast it dropt a little when I turned nineteen and Im only like 180 less than you for the six months.. it isn't any better for us girls really... hey atleast both are insurances should drop some more next year...yeah if I got a GTP when I was seventeen they quoted my parents 4000-4500.

Steph

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Steph.... call BECKY's guy Brian......he got me from 1680 down to 1330 w00t! thats a drop i i ever did say so myself!..... BUT i have one more round of higher insurance to go.....tthhheeenen i hit the 21 bracket.....so it should drop a lil hopefully....i think that i will just skip being 21-24 and go straight to 25 stay there for 4 years and haev cheaper insurance!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info