3800 "Professional" advice

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 11:40 AM
Ron keep in mind i know a little about cars but nothing in depth...... so DP and flex and that stuff just make me think "wtf is he talkin about" sorry........ :-( im learning and i am sure that i will pick up on a lot of it all from you guys.....im a fast learner
[snapback]98679[/snapback]​
DP=Downpipe=the pipe from the exhaust manifolds to the cat
Flex=in the upper part of the DP that allows the exhaust to flex a bit with the motor and maintain a flat flange connection with the exhaust manifolds instead of the springs and donut gasket that you have to use with a solid downpipe
Hope that clarifies a bit and welcome to the club
CJ

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 11:40 AM
Ron keep in mind i know a little about cars but nothing in depth...... so DP and flex and that stuff just make me think "wtf is he talkin about" sorry........ :-( im learning and i am sure that i will pick up on a lot of it all from you guys.....im a fast learner
[snapback]98679[/snapback]​
Then in a couple of weeks you'll understand that altering your IFR or MAF tables may adversly affect your 02's or even LTFT's. Time for a mini-afc or a pt with heavier mods like togs or pem's, and I owe everything to TM. LOL

Welcome to the club!

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Maybe we should keep the VP's PC on the QT cause if it leaks to the VC, the VP could end up MIA, and then we would all be put on KP (line from Good Morning Vietnam, seemed fitting to this conversation)

Ron, I didn't understand half of what you said either, haha.
CJ

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 01:20 PM
So after speaking with a friend who has a 68 GTO, 69 Charger, 64 thunderbird, 68 vette, and so on he says i should have to do with my trani too to handle a turbo......whats the advice of the GP gurus
[snapback]98706[/snapback]​

It all depends... If you run a turbo but keep your boost down for daily driving (still fast) your tranny should be ok but obviously you run a risk of the tranny going sooner than normal. FYI Now im not sure how many miles you have on your car but this will definetly void your warranty. Now if your going to spend alot of time at the track then I would suggest some tranny upgrades. JMO

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Best thing you can do for your tranny is just to upgrade the differential to a limited slip differentil. this wil help prevent one-wheeled burnouts, which are the most common cause of tranny failure in this car. Unless you plan on going balls out with this car a performance tranny is not worth the time nor effort. And it definitely isnt worth the cash.

these trannys seem to be able to reliably take mid 12s before you should consider upgrading. Mid 12s is stock corvette times, just for reference. If you plan on driving at that boost level all the time you can expect it to not last very long. If, like fish said, you run at a lower boost on the street 9not difficult to do with a trubo) then it should be reliable, with its life only being slightly shorter than a stock cars.

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
IIRC (if i recall correctly) the diff is $600, but i could be wrong. In either case it is a shit load cheaper than buying a new tranny, and will give you a significant traction boost off the line. Check out intense's wesite, or ZZP, or the 3800store website. I dont know who is popular right now as I havent had my GTP for about 6 months now, but either one of the major vendors offers and LSD.

BC

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 24 2005, 07:23 AM
is this what im lookin for???
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=409
[snapback]98770[/snapback]​

no thats not it, thats just zzp trying to sell a stock one for people that blew theres
and want to save money on not going thte performance way. one thing u have to remember is theres not a company that everyone says work, i think almost all of the performnce ones have some horror storys about them blowing, my advice,

DONT GO WITH INTENSE
and i think everyone aggrees with that, i think quilfe...i think thats how u spell it, is supposed to be the best, and then c-ya racings but thats just what i heard

zzp says u just need a torque converter, to get low 12's, then output and input shafts if u run slicks which u need anyways to go faster then 12's

u need to understand the turbo kit will put out more power then u can probly handle, so if u go that route relize sull probly spend what the kit costs, just in supporting mods for the turbo, though the car tuning kit only uses the front three banks, look into a company that uses both manifolds

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Sep 24 2005, 06:46 AM
whats the life span of a turbo?

one thats NOT taken care of, and one the is well maintained?
[snapback]98766[/snapback]​
dont know about the ones they use on are cars but from a DSM point of view, u can get 10k out ofa an un kept one even less if its installed improperly, but if use a turbo timer, and dont run the max boost everytime, ive seen stock 1st gen turbos with 180,000 miles, (thats what my gf's brothers went out at, but it was slowly going to crap, which is why its hard to tell when there going sometimes. but id say at least 70k out of one is not unrealistic, it all depends on u

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You have to remember, your GT does not have a 4T65E-HD. We just have the normal 4T65e. Even the HD diff is an upgrade. Alot of fast cars have them. Just be sure to do 2 wheel burnouts if your going to, if not get out of it. Thats the #1 killer of stock diffs.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah thats a good starting point, what are u trying to do with the car tho thats what u need to decide, is it a all out race car, just want more pep, or is there an e.t. that ur shooting for,.... thats the first thing every gp owner need to decide, otherwise u might buy stuff u dont need, i know i did

usally if u can do that then alot of us can tell u what we did to get there

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 24 2005, 05:46 PM
I want to have a fast daily driver....i drive 30k miles a year and its my only car......i want it to be a lot faster than it is now.....but i dont need to do mach 3
[snapback]98811[/snapback]​
go n20 then its the cheapest, and theres less supporting mods to do, but upgrading to a hd trans is still a good idea, o and get a afc and a timing commander(with a pcm reflash ) just to be on the safe side for tunning that will be cheap, and its only there when u want it, and no abuse on ur car when not using it,and the pcm will give u some hp and shift point changes for some daily fun

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 24 2005, 06:08 PM
i dont want to go around town sprayin n2O though..... assuming that you mean nirtous.....it would get quite costly......and whats the afc and timing commander?
[snapback]98813[/snapback]​
well i didnt mean spray everywear,but if ur just looking for a lil pep once in a while that would work. the afc is a fuel computer(from zzp), every car is tuned differntly, some cars run lean, and need extra fuel to make power in spots of the rpm range, and taking fuel away at parts is smart cause it can decrese ur fuel consumption (better mpg's) for everyday drivng(have profesionlly tuned tho) and a timing commander is a neat device, that allows u to add or take away timing, timing makes power as long as it doesnt cause knock, ..... knock is badddddddd and when use nitrous adding fuel can save ur motor,and its smart to reduce timing a degree or two if u run a big shot is smart, and it looks cool(go to w-body store.com)if u get a pillar, but its all up to u money will play a huge factor to make these cars fast

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info