7.3 Godzilla grows up, godzilla mega thread, godzilla performance development thread TRUCK ENGINE GOES BRRRRRRRRR

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The 6.2L is like 430 ft/lbs, correct? So the extra torque should help. But hopefully, the torque curve of the 7.3L is fatter all the way through. We all know Peak numbers aren't everything. So hopefully the 7.3L drives better than the 6.2L due to the added torque and curve. And maybe in 5 years the stock rating will be closer to that 575 ft/lbs hinted at back in 2018?

I can't see Ford Performance or the aftermarket sitting on the sidelines with this motor. You know they are going to try and make this a performance engine. A SOHC with 445 cubes has everyone salivating to get their hands on one for development. Especially with engine swaps being easy due to available parts by Ford & the aftermarket. K-member, motor mounts, headers, and so on.

yeah all i can think and hope is that thing is choked out like 8.1 GM motors from the early 2000's

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
but ive said it once i'll say it again, who cares about "needing rpm" especially with these 10 speed transmissions nowadays.

my truck cruises at 1400 rpm at 80 mph and stays at 4k rpm and above if your foot is to the floor.

big ol meh.

I agree somewhat with that when talking a stock application.

As a crate motor these things will be lucky to be mated to a 6 speed. 3 speed autos and 5 speed manuals will be the choice due to cost & space. So when talking swaps, more rpm would be nice. Drag racing applications will want the rpm as well.

I am excited to get the motor. I am also hopeful it will have benefits outside a truck or RV. 800+hp crate engine with a warranty and plug-n-play ECU? IN! I'd just have to figure out what I would put it in. haha

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ford's not putting the 10spd behind the 6.2 for the foreseeable future so who knows if that woulda been the better option.

What would be the reason GM went with a 6.6 gas over using the current 6.2 found in half-tons then?

in that case, the $2k upgrade for a ten speed & the 7.3 over the 6.2 and the old trans, is a no brainer imo.

i didn't know the new 6.2 trucks couldn't have the 10 speed.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
yeah all i can think and hope is that thing is choked out like 8.1 GM motors from the early 2000's
You mean not choked out? We want more RPM and powa!

Seems the head flow good air. Will they at higher lift numbers than stock? How high of an RPM with the big 2.20" value offer? Will the big rotating assembly spin more RPM and not have brutal harmonics? And so many more questions. lol

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You mean not choked out? We want more RPM and powa!

Seems the head flow good air. Will they at higher lift numbers than stock? How high of an RPM with the big 2.20" value offer? Will the big rotating assembly spin more RPM and not have brutal harmonics? And so many more questions. lol

no, I am hoping the new 7.3 is somewhat choked out so a cam/heads package gets you another 200hp, 8.1 style.

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
The 6.2L is like 430 ft/lbs, correct? So the extra torque should help. But hopefully, the torque curve of the 7.3L is fatter all the way through. We all know Peak numbers aren't everything. So hopefully the 7.3L drives better than the 6.2L due to the added torque and curve. And maybe in 5 years the stock rating will be closer to that 575 ft/lbs hinted at back in 2018

Correct. 6.2 is rated at 430lb/ft and IIRC rolls over pretty hard after peak RPM. The 7.3 got the 475 rating and from the curves I've seen stays pretty flat to redline.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
We ran the Ford F-250 and the Chevy Silverado 2500 on different days, but with an identical trailer set to slightly different loaded weights. The new F-250 returned a towing MPG result of 5.6 MPG with a moderate side wind (wind speed: about 17 mph). The unloaded result was 15.1 MPG.

When we ran the Silverado HD on the same loop at the same 70 MPH speed, we got 6.9 MPG and 16.0 MPG towing and unladed (respectively). The wind speed during the Silverado run was less (wind speed: under 10 mph).

that wind difference is entirely negligible imo.... 7 mph difference and a side wind, at freeway speeds? meh.

I look at it more for comparative purposes really, than real world numbers

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
but even still, each of those trucks might do totally different shit at sea level or close to it.

the ford might trump the gm near 800 ft elevation mpg wise...

True, but even still, when 5 Star dyno'd the 7.3 nearish sea level, the numbers still weren't really great...it made it's numbers only if you gave it a generous 20% drivetrain loss

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
True, but even still, when 5 Star dyno'd the 7.3 nearish sea level, the numbers still weren't really great...it made it's numbers only if you gave it a generous 20% drivetrain loss

I mean, manu's are making these things absolute dogs with torque management to the moon to prevent old men crying about "harsh" shifts. Take a look at Eagles 17 Cummins vs his 19 Cummins. The 17 was an absolute slushy dog with no power off idle. Ram fixed that in the 19 and now they have tons of power off idle.

I'm sure Ford is going to uncork these as more people get their hands on them and find that balance point between old man crying and power.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, manu's are making these things absolute dogs with torque management to the moon to prevent old men crying about "harsh" shifts. Take a look at Eagles 17 Cummins vs his 19 Cummins. The 17 was an absolute slushy dog with no power off idle. Ram fixed that in the 19 and now they have tons of power off idle.

I'm sure Ford is going to uncork these as more people get their hands on them and find that balance point between old man crying and power.

Yeah Ford seem notorious for torque management...on the EcoBoosts, it only seemed to get worse...my '11 was WAY snappier than any '16+ I drove

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
XLT, but their "plan" is to turn it into a Tremor

i was mainly asking because whatever tires an XLT has on it vs the tremor is going to change shit up a lot.

i feel like the tremor is a package is bargain for what you get...

especially this stuff.

Tremor uses a locking rear differential with electronic shift-on-the-fly engagement and a new Dana® limited-slip front differential. In certain modes, the front axle can sense when a tire has lost traction and uses the brakes to send power to the wheel with traction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info