• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Problems with my Ford Escape

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I was at the Forest Preserves one time with my GF and an old couple were trying to get their car started. It would sputter, run really rough for a second then die. I saw the guy had been backed into a spot by a hill and looked at his exhaust. It was plugged with dirt and clay. I told him to wait a minute and used my knife to cut the stuff out.

Of course he tried to start the car while I was doing this and blew the rest of the junk in my face. Thanks old man. Car ran fine after this and he and his lady friend drove off into the sunset.

Such a nice guy, Cliff.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
I was at the Forest Preserves one time with my GF and an old couple were trying to get their car started. It would sputter, run really rough for a second then die. I saw the guy had been backed into a spot by a hill and looked at his exhaust. It was plugged with dirt and clay. I told him to wait a minute and used my knife to cut the stuff out.

Of course he tried to start the car while I was doing this and blew the rest of the junk in my face. Thanks old man. Car ran fine after this and he and his lady friend drove off into the sunset.

Personally I'd never talk about an event where someone who was backed in at a forest preserve blew anything in my face...:drums:

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Alright lets forget everything ive said so far. Turns out I switched the 4&6 coil pack plugs. Got those swapped back and the problem remains, but elsewhere.
I bought new plugs,pcv and intake gaskets. I also replaced a few iffy vacuum lines.
The problem is the #3 cylinder now.
Unplugging the coil does not affect engine speed at all. All others do.
I swapped coils, no change. I pulled the plug and verified it worked by hooking it up to my leaf blower. I also verified 12v on both wires in the coil plug while the engine was running. I even did a compression test and got 210psi.
Stumped again

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Alright lets forget everything ive said so far. Turns out I switched the 4&6 coil pack plugs. Got those swapped back and the problem remains, but elsewhere.
I bought new plugs,pcv and intake gaskets. I also replaced a few iffy vacuum lines.
The problem is the #3 cylinder now.
Unplugging the coil does not affect engine speed at all. All others do.
I swapped coils, no change. I pulled the plug and verified it worked by hooking it up to my leaf blower. I also verified 12v on both wires in the coil plug while the engine was running. I even did a compression test and got 210psi.
Stumped again

I KNOW you said the PCM is not common on this year vehicle and I saw the post from eagle and your reply, BUT a friend of mine 06/07 Fusion had an issue with misfire and the plugs and a coil were replaced, magically it still had a misfire (I believe it was cylinder 3) but anyways it was the PCM driver. We followed Mitchell's diagnostic chart. I can post that if you'd like?

Would.a cat cause one cylinder to misfire?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Well... the addition of last night's troubleshooting efforts and the fact that it moved off cyls 4&6 to 3 kinda makes PCM less likely. I'd go with possible hairline fractures in the coilpacks (a few people had mentioned this issue yesterday while I looked around confirming PCM driver issues), so the test for that is to electrical tape the shit out of your coilpacks to effectively insulate them. If it stops, then you've likely found your problem. Otherwise, possible shitty coil/injector harness connections. Final option, the PCM is still shit.

My $.02. If it ends up being the PCM, can I say I told u so? :D

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Well... the addition of last night's troubleshooting efforts and the fact that it moved off cyls 4&6 to 3 kinda makes PCM less likely. I'd go with possible hairline fractures in the coilpacks (a few people had mentioned this issue yesterday while I looked around confirming PCM driver issues), so the test for that is to electrical tape the shit out of your coilpacks to effectively insulate them. If it stops, then you've likely found your problem. Otherwise, possible shitty coil/injector harness connections. Final option, the PCM is still shit.

My $.02. If it ends up being the PCM, can I say I told u so? :D

When it first happened I thought it was #5 because the engine did not get affected when I disconnected the coil. I then removed everything from that side of the engine and mistakenly swapped 4&6 coil pack connectors (which is really easy to do if you dont label them)

So I cant honestly say where the problem originally stemmed from.
I have obtained a wiring diagram.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Does this have the pcm mounted near the top center of the firewall? If so, pull off the plastic and tape 6-10 inches away from the connector and i bet you'll find broken wires. I've fixed numerous early model v6 escapes with misfire problems. Some even break internally, without breaking the wire insulation, so pull on the harness while it's running.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Does this have the pcm mounted near the top center of the firewall? If so, pull off the plastic and tape 6-10 inches away from the connector and i bet you'll find broken wires. I've fixed numerous early model v6 escapes with misfire problems. Some even break internally, without breaking the wire insulation, so pull on the harness while it's running.

I have manipulated the harness in every place possible and no change.
Im testing wire continuity to the pcm and the pcm coil driver tonight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info