Problem with my brand new Diamond Racing Wheels

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
I got these wheels along with ET Streets in the beginning of July. Yesterday I finally got around to getting them mounted and balanced. I took them to Suburban Tire in Hanover Park. Big problem though... they said there is a problem with the wheels; that they are not round. There is a wobble. The technician said the machine was calling for 10oz of weight on one wheel and 8oz on the other. I asked what would be a normal amount of weight and he told me 1oz.

Before I call Diamond Racing Wheels, I just wanted to get 2nd opinions. I also know there are others on here running these wheels. Did you guys have issues getting the balanced? Also, is the tech correct in saying 10oz is way to much? I'm really pissed. I had to pay $60 just to find this out.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
what tires?? Slicks often require 4-8oz to balance.... also, make sure that the dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stem..

EDIT.. i see it was an ET Street... its not abnormal to require 4-8oz

What dot?

So you don't see 10 ounces of weight being a problem? Should they be using a special type of weight, because 10 ounces seems like its going to be a huge patch a weight stuck to the inside of the wheel.

The tech said he could see the wheel wobbling when they spun it on the balancer. He should me, I saw it too. But then again I have nothing to compare it to cause I have never seen a good wheel on a balancer before.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
What he said... I never had em balanced.

It never made much sense to me since doing a bunch of burnouts would likely affect the "balance." :dunno:

Did you ever feel it on the road? If it actually does require 10 ounces, it must be very noticeable on the road. I have lost a weight off a wheel before and that was noticeable , and probably only a 1oz weight. I could only imagine how noticeable it will be if a 10oz weight was missing.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
What dot?

So you don't see 10 ounces of weight being a problem? Should they be using a special type of weight, because 10 ounces seems like its going to be a huge patch a weight stuck to the inside of the wheel.

The tech said he could see the wheel wobbling when they spun it on the balancer. He should me, I saw it too. But then again I have nothing to compare it to cause I have never seen a good wheel on a balancer before.

there is a pink, yellow, or blue dot on the side of the tire that must be lined up with the valve stem... its a light spot in the tire

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Did you ever feel it on the road? If it actually does require 10 ounces, it must be very noticeable on the road. I have lost a weight off a wheel before and that was noticeable , and probably only a 1oz weight. I could only imagine how noticeable it will be if a 10oz weight was missing.

No, I only used those wheels at the track. Too much going on during a pass to notice any slight wobble or vibe, but I made probably 200 passes on those "unbalanced" wheels without issue.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
there is a pink, yellow, or blue dot on the side of the tire that must be lined up with the valve stem... its a light spot in the tire

Was I suppose to know this? Does Mickey Thompson have this info listed somewhere? I found the dot. One tire has a pink dot, the other I think is blue. It is not aligned with the valve stem. Besides being aligned, is it suppose to be on the same side as the valve stem or does that not matter? The dot is on the side of the tire that has addition markings and I asked them to put that side to the inside of the wheel.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Just out of curiosity, did the guy break them down and rotate the tires on the rims 180 degrees and try rebalancing them?
It could have been a combination of wheel and tire.

what tires?? Slicks often require 4-8oz to balance.... also, make sure that the dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stem..

EDIT.. i see it was an ET Street... its not abnormal to require 4-8oz
^ truth

doesn't really surprise me, try rotating the tire and it should get a little better. with those rims and a 26-28" m/t it's not going to be like putting street tires on an OEM rim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info