Problem with my brand new Diamond Racing Wheels

wizdawg

Reaction score
I got these wheels along with ET Streets in the beginning of July. Yesterday I finally got around to getting them mounted and balanced. I took them to Suburban Tire in Hanover Park. Big problem though... they said there is a problem with the wheels; that they are not round. There is a wobble. The technician said the machine was calling for 10oz of weight on one wheel and 8oz on the other. I asked what would be a normal amount of weight and he told me 1oz.

Before I call Diamond Racing Wheels, I just wanted to get 2nd opinions. I also know there are others on here running these wheels. Did you guys have issues getting the balanced? Also, is the tech correct in saying 10oz is way to much? I'm really pissed. I had to pay $60 just to find this out.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did the guy break them down and rotate the tires on the rims 180 degrees and try rebalancing them?
It could have been a combination of wheel and tire.

blck10th

Reaction score
i have no weights on mine. I bought them off wiked03 and i dont think he ever had them balanced.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
what tires?? Slicks often require 4-8oz to balance.... also, make sure that the dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stem..

EDIT.. i see it was an ET Street... its not abnormal to require 4-8oz

OP
wizdawg

wizdawg

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did the guy break them down and rotate the tires on the rims 180 degrees and try rebalancing them?
NO, he did not.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Reaction score
i have no weights on mine. I bought them off wiked03 and i dont think he ever had them balanced.
What he said... I never had em balanced.

It never made much sense to me since doing a bunch of burnouts would likely affect the "balance." :dunno:

OP
wizdawg

wizdawg

Reaction score
what tires?? Slicks often require 4-8oz to balance.... also, make sure that the dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stem..

What dot?

So you don't see 10 ounces of weight being a problem? Should they be using a special type of weight, because 10 ounces seems like its going to be a huge patch a weight stuck to the inside of the wheel.

The tech said he could see the wheel wobbling when they spun it on the balancer. He should me, I saw it too. But then again I have nothing to compare it to cause I have never seen a good wheel on a balancer before.

OP
wizdawg

wizdawg

Reaction score
What he said... I never had em balanced.

It never made much sense to me since doing a bunch of burnouts would likely affect the "balance." :dunno:
Did you ever feel it on the road? If it actually does require 10 ounces, it must be very noticeable on the road. I have lost a weight off a wheel before and that was noticeable , and probably only a 1oz weight. I could only imagine how noticeable it will be if a 10oz weight was missing.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
What dot?

So you don't see 10 ounces of weight being a problem? Should they be using a special type of weight, because 10 ounces seems like its going to be a huge patch a weight stuck to the inside of the wheel.

The tech said he could see the wheel wobbling when they spun it on the balancer. He should me, I saw it too. But then again I have nothing to compare it to cause I have never seen a good wheel on a balancer before.
there is a pink, yellow, or blue dot on the side of the tire that must be lined up with the valve stem... its a light spot in the tire

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Reaction score
Did you ever feel it on the road? If it actually does require 10 ounces, it must be very noticeable on the road. I have lost a weight off a wheel before and that was noticeable , and probably only a 1oz weight. I could only imagine how noticeable it will be if a 10oz weight was missing.
No, I only used those wheels at the track. Too much going on during a pass to notice any slight wobble or vibe, but I made probably 200 passes on those "unbalanced" wheels without issue.

OP
wizdawg

wizdawg

Reaction score
there is a pink, yellow, or blue dot on the side of the tire that must be lined up with the valve stem... its a light spot in the tire
Was I suppose to know this? Does Mickey Thompson have this info listed somewhere? I found the dot. One tire has a pink dot, the other I think is blue. It is not aligned with the valve stem. Besides being aligned, is it suppose to be on the same side as the valve stem or does that not matter? The dot is on the side of the tire that has addition markings and I asked them to put that side to the inside of the wheel.

01bluesnake

Cobra Brigade Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you want to swing by my work tomorrow, i can check them out and see what he did or didnt do when balancing the wheels. I work at ROTO in arlington heights, do worry about paying either.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score

^ truth

doesn't really surprise me, try rotating the tire and it should get a little better. with those rims and a 26-28" m/t it's not going to be like putting street tires on an OEM rim.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that they're steel rims, which are never perfect in the first place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom