Problem flaring brake lines

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I'm installing my ABS delete kit/proportioning valve/line lock. I have to cut and flare the stock lines to hook up to the new lines. The stock lines consist of two small lines for the front and one slightly larger for the rear. I got the front done no problem, but when doing some "practice" flares on a piece of scrap stock line, the larger line just slips in the flaring tool clamp. I tried using the next size smaller hole on the tool, but it's too small for the line.

Any tips? Should I try a different flaring tool?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Yeah, I tightened the clamp as far as I could, even used a wrench on the wing nuts, still slips. I tightened the nut closest to the line first, like the directions say. I'm very irritated. I won't have time to work on it again now for a week.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
Aron,
What brand is the flaring tool? The reason I ask is because a cheap flaring tool usually performs relative to the purchase price. I never have to tighten mine down that much to hold the lines. We do lots of custom brake and fuel hard line installs and have never had a problem with the flaring tool...it's a Blue Point/Snap-On and I've had it for 20 years. Flaring tools are one of those things that you definitely get what you pay for. Let me know if I can help.

Joe

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Aron,
What brand is the flaring tool? The reason I ask is because a cheap flaring tool usually performs relative to the purchase price. I never have to tighten mine down that much to hold the lines. We do lots of custom brake and fuel hard line installs and have never had a problem with the flaring tool...it's a Blue Point/Snap-On and I've had it for 20 years. Flaring tools are one of those things that you definitely get what you pay for. Let me know if I can help.

Joe

double check your line and make sure your not using metric steel line in a standard brake flaring tool or vice versa.

its very easy to confuse the two and they are often mismarked at a lot of local supply houses.

The flaring tool came with the kit, so I'm sure it's a cheapo Chinese or Thai tool. I already considered that it may be a metric line, and went to the hardware store to get a metric tool, but they didn't have one. I'm gonna have to look around at auto parts stores. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info