đź“° Auto News President Obama to give states right to set own emissions/fuel economy standards

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Brace yourselves for a mess. The New York Times is reporting that the Obama administration intends to allow California and other states to set their own emissions and fuel economy standards. Obama is expected to announce his decision this week, maybe even as early as today. The move, which Obama campaigned on during the run up to last November's election, would overturn the prior Bush administration's denial of a waiver to California that allows the Golden State to set its own standards and other states to adopt them.

If the report is correct, it's not clear yet what the implications of the decision will be or how automakers will react. If things proceed in an orderly and organized fashion, it will be a minor miracle. Consumer experiences may well mirror what went on with diesels, most of which were recently unavailable in states adhering to California's stricter emissions standards.

Critics of state-administrated emissions standards fear that the potential for 50 different requirements will result in a costly quagmire. It will undoubtedly cost automakers more to conform to various and differing requirements, eating up profits (not to mention bailout funds) as well.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

andcbii

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2008
This is a horrible idea. Auto makers will just conform to what ever state has the strictest emissions laws. Basically giving one state all legislative power in this matter. National issues like this should have to be dealt with on the federal level.

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
this has a huge problem written all over it. I love the assholes that make decisions without knowing what kind of effect they are going to have. Im starting to regret voting for this guy. Its like hmmmmm How much shit can I blow through in week one? Let me see I will fuck up guantonomo bay, next on the list will be cars, after that I will give more money away that we don't have, etc. All I have to say is great.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
this has a huge problem written all over it. I love the assholes that make decisions without knowing what kind of effect they are going to have. Im starting to regret voting for this guy. Its like hmmmmm How much shit can I blow through in week one? Let me see I will fuck up guantonomo bay, next on the list will be cars, after that I will give more money away that we don't have, etc. All I have to say is great.

Not even a week into his presidency and you are already regretting voting for him! :bigthumb:

I know who I voted for.... :io:

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Since McCain will probably be too geriatric to run in 4 years we will never know what kind of beasts he would have unleashed. Even though i see this as being a foolish move it may be minor compared to what McCain would have done. We may never know.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
too much shit going on in the first week. Shit makes me angry. I wish he would just take it slow sit back relax and just deal with shit when it comes up. There are too many people trying to leave their mark. Just deal with shit as it happens.

Unfortunately you can't preach about it being "Time for a change" and then sit back and take it slow.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
This is a horrible idea. Auto makers will just conform to what ever state has the strictest emissions laws. Basically giving one state all legislative power in this matter. National issues like this should have to be dealt with on the federal level.

they don't have to. it's a dumb idea but not for those reasons. it's a dumb idea because companies are supposed to make things that people want. they are supposed to supply something that meets market demand. in this case there is artificial demand made by the government. if the government dictates that every make needs to provide a car that can get 50 mpg, and they all do whatever it takes to meet this goal, it still doesn't ensure that anyone will buy the cars in the first place. and if they buy them, it still doesn't ensure that the company will even be making a profit off of them. look at the volt, oh look it meets new gov standards x, y and z. but how many people are going to buy that thing? how much money is chevy going to make? not enough and not enough.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
yeah thats a good idea, lets take automakers, who are struggling already and on the verge of death, and have a set standard in place of how a car should be built, and let each state decide how they want their cars built. costing automakers even more money.

i know obama's trying to prove that hes not bush, but just going down a list and undoing everything bush has done in the last 8 years just proves youre an idiot to boot.

glad ive got my V8. grandfather clause bitch. nobodys gonna tell me what my emissions should be like.

JayWild

WildChevy
Aug 14, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Real Name
Jeremy M.
and if he sits back and takes things slow people will piss and moan that hes not taking any action. lets face it, whoever became president was basically fucked from the start

Exactly. We would say the same thing about McCain or any other bloke.

:noes:

Since McCain will probably be too geriatric to run in 4 years we will never know what kind of beasts he would have unleashed. Even though i see this as being a foolish move it may be minor compared to what McCain would have done. We may never know.

Kudos. McCain would be working on his own economic stimulus package as well.

People are making a mistake: "economic stimulus packages" aren't some new concept brought up from the asses of Democrats or Republicans.

We're following, as we have since 1936, Keynesian economic philosophy: When things are rough, the government intervenes by lowering taxes, increasing tax credits and other incentives for productivity and growth, increasing gov't investment in the private sector, etc. etc. The thought is, that these things will overcome any economic hardships.

And, since the Fed. became "fed rate" focused, they've coincided monetary policy with Keynesian sentiments by decreasing the interest rates in effort to stimulate, again "Growth", and by manipulating a strong, and even weaker, dollar to achieve certain ideal goals...lalala

So really, McCain would do the same Obama is as far as this economic package. The people, the industries, they are pressuring the gov't.

As far as Henry Paulson...sigh.

Now Geithner, we'll see. This isn't his first in Washington, he went into the New Millennium working in Washington. Before this position he was Vice Chair of the Open Market Committe and the Federal Reserve Bank of NY Chairperson.

I don't know his personal feelings on what should be done, yet, but I'm sure his public agenda will simply mirror what Benarnke, Obama, and Paulson have been doing. ( By the way, if you really wanna see some fast emergency loan giveouts, I hope you've been keeping up with these Fed auctions since last Feburary!...the new auction for $150 billion in short term credit starts soon!).

The Gitmo issue. I don't have perfect knowledge, nor does the rest of the public. The only people "in the know" aree those involved. That is the issue. The Bush Administration has been extremely vague and mysterious about Gitmo, so who knows what the hell is going on.

All we have is emotional justification to be prejudiced about those held in Gitmo.

What Obama's idea is to get the issue through with. All we know are that there were some military investigations going on. If that. But, really, the Defense and Intelligence, technically, do not have judicial authority nor expertise. They investigate, they prove, the gather data and put organize it to make conclusions, and they bring it to court against the "defense".

Obama simply wants to close it, and seek justice. Too much money, and its nonsensical to keep those people in there and yet see no progress.

I disagree with his deadline of 120 days. That was harsh. But, I must have faith that he has been researching this issue for YEARS and has the expert advisors who are more knowledgable on the issues surrounding Gitmo.

He probably has a premeditated plan. Heck, Bush had a premeditated plan....it's called the Patriot Act.

Obama said it himself, today: "We cannot lose a day because every day the economic picture is darkening, here and across the globe,"

My advise to Obama: slow it down on the Gitmo thing. It'll take longer than 120 days to investigate and close Gitmo in a way that doesn't put the world in danger. And to the innocent people held in Gitmo, God bless your soul!

P.S.

McCain actually reasonably supports Obama's views on Gitmo. If I heard him correctly on Larry King (was in and out as I was doing other things)...He did say taht we must look at other issues, for example, the fact taht other nations have forbidden people in Gitmo from ever entering their countries.

I didnt vote for McCain for many reasons, but I do love the guy. I miss the 2000 and pre-2000 McCain...the "Bush I fuqing hate you you backstabbing idiot" McCain :bowrofl:

haha.

Sigh. Let's stick behind Obama, scream when he does something you're against, but damn it....he's about HOPE....and if the times are that bad...shit invest in hope, because that's a helluva better than the market right now (kidding).

JayWild

WildChevy
Aug 14, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Real Name
Jeremy M.

Agreed! This is another issue that I dissent from Obama. I love the guy, but come on.

(Back on topic) lol.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
You love....Obama? ew.

Not only will this waste more and more money in Automakers but it will completely fuck up any sense of the automobile industry. God I hate him.

And since were talking Obama, its nice to see his Treasury Sec. is a guy that fucked up taxes more then once. And the media gave Joe the Plumber shit for owing 2K. :picard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info