3800 Prepwork for TOG's

Ok, Saturday I should be installing them in my car. I can't wait. I want to do them Friday, but I have to go somewhere for another Thanksgiving dinner :( anyways, what prepwork should I do? What should I use to soak some of the bolts with? I have a 98 so they are old and rusty probably. I have heard about a dipstick in the way? What is that? If not, I am sure I will run into it :D but ya, just let me know any tips or methods you guys have used for your TOG's. Thanks

Z

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
just wondering, I though you said you were broke or something a while back? were did you get the $$$ for TOGs?

Man, it is not fun to put them in.....

Kyle(liquibop) and I just got done doing them today(sunday). YOu really need 2 people to do it. HE and I were on top of the engine trying to squese crap in, bend trans pipe, get bolts on, find lost bolts......etc...etc...

Took us about 7 hrs. Lot of work and really dirty.

SO many spots were you just eyeball it and feel around and hope it goes in. THe trans stick was a PITA, cause you have to unbolt it, and then if you pull it out, all the trans fluid start to come out, and you gota plug it, bend the pipe put it back in, re bend the pipe more, etc....

I lost like 1.5 or so qrts of fluid during the process.

ALso, bolting up the lower crossover proved to be very challenging to do cause of lack of sight and space.

WE also had the car, way, way, jacked up in the air with 2 stands.

The TOGS that were JET HOT coated sterling silver look so bad ass.....you gota see them in person.

AS we fired it up, WITH OPEN HEADERS, it was loud as all helll....sounded like a monster race car or somehting. I hade to drive home 35 miles with open headers. NOt fun. SO, SO, SO loud. NO power at all either.everyone and there mother was giving me looks. :unsure: thank god the PoPO didnt stop me. When I gave it gas it was nasty loud. Kinda felt bad about it. :(

SO, gettin em welded to my DP tommorrow at 8am on SW highway and harlem if anybody is driving by and want to stop in. cant wait cause it so so damm loud and no low end what so ever. :(

JOhn

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Only prep work you need is some balls correct tools and some PB BLASTER! and plenty of patience.

ALso a good tip hale gave me was to purchase an engine strap. So when you are doing the rear you can pull the engine all the way forward with the strap. And make sure you have the metal donut gaskets. J/O recommends the crushable ones. They will seal the connections better. Also have extra botls handt for the crossover to the rear TOG handy. Save yourself a trip to the hardware store. Not sure what pitch or diametr they are. But take a trip to ACE hardware they have a great selection of GRADE 8 BOLTS.

Make sure you have all the necessary gaskets.
2 MANIFOLD gaskets..and of course your echaut gaskets.

Ok, I am holding off till spring time. Call me a pussy, but I hate working in cold weather. It may sound funny but I have a hand disease. My hands go numb real quick when it is cold. I am usually on the medication now, but I am not. Anyways. Oh, my pops had an old credit card lieing around, so I snagged it and bought the TOGs with it. I will get my school reimbursement money in January, so I can pay it all off :D My dad and my older bro are gonna help me. I know it will take awhile. My dad used to be a mechanic, so there isn't anything he can't do really. Thank god cause i am mechanically retoded. I heard though, the TOG's out now don't have issues with the tranny dipstick. Who's knows. I am waiting till a nice warm spring day to slap em on. Thanks for all the help though. I will print this shiz out.

Z

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by alexgtp@Nov 24 2003, 11:37 AM
Only prep work you need is some balls correct tools and some PB BLASTER! and plenty of patience.

ALso a good tip hale gave me was to purchase an engine strap. So when you are doing the rear you can pull the engine all the way forward with the strap. And make sure you have the metal donut gaskets. J/O recommends the crushable ones. They will seal the connections better. Also have extra botls handt for the crossover to the rear TOG handy. Save yourself a trip to the hardware store. Not sure what pitch or diametr they are. But take a trip to ACE hardware they have a great selection of GRADE 8 BOLTS.

Make sure you have all the necessary gaskets.
2 MANIFOLD gaskets..and of course your echaut gaskets.
sorry, but once the cross over was removed once, the crushables are shot, I am getting a new set of steels from TOG, any day now I hope... <_<

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, I put on the steel stock ones ffrom tog......

Yes alex, kyle and I used and rope as our engine strap. Wraped it around and pulled it towards the diagnol brace, and bolted the brace down on top of it...really nice. then you can have the car up in the air and rotate the engine back and forth when you need to.

Tranny dip stick was still a problem. Couldnt bend it all that great. SO we reomoved it and bent it.

You will need a LOT of extensions and flex joint thingies( to swivel into tight spots).
SOme spots are hard to get at, like the lower dp connection.

I too got some new exhaut manifold metal gaskets.....about 7 buck each.

Yes, it was starting to get cold on sunday. ONce it got colder, I really felt my hands starting to freeze and get numb.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info