đź”– Deals Pre-Order: Amazon Fire TV Stick - $19 for Prime Members

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
What benefit would this have over a smart TV that I use to stream netflix and Hulu? I don't have cable so those are usually my two only options.

The only difference is the version of the app your device is using. My LG Smart TV (from 2012) is an older Netflix version and the hasn't been updated for at least a year. The Roku stick I have has the most up to date interface for Netflix (user profiles, new UI, quality settings, etc.)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The only difference is the version of the app your device is using. My LG Smart TV (from 2012) is an older Netflix version and the hasn't been updated for at least a year. The Roku stick I have has the most up to date interface for Netflix (user profiles, new UI, quality settings, etc.)

But in the end I still have the same movies and shows on netflix as someone with this stick would have? Correct?

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Its alright. I was a litte irritated that you can't download the Plex for Plexpass app (since I have PlexPass all my apps are free) and it has to be side loaded. Each app also seems to load to like an intermediate screen before it actually launches which is kind of annoying.

I had the same experience. Side loading was fine, but having to navigate to the App section was disappointing. (I missed the free Plex app on Amazon a month ago.:()

Otherwise, I think it's a good device and gives people options. Comparing it to Roku for how I use these types devices, it wasn't compelling enough to switch from the Roku ecosystem that I've been using for a couple of years.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Just got an email saying fire stick will now work at hotels. That's a huge leg up on chrome cast.

connect to your hotel or dorm room Wi-Fi with captive portal support—Take your favorite movies, TV shows, games, and more with you when you're away from home. Fire TV Stick enables you to connect to Wi-Fi that requires web authentication—this includes Wi-Fi at most major hotels, as well as some universities.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Chromecast sucks dick. Waste of money IMO.

The firestick works well although it does lag here and there, but overall worth the few bucks.
Has anyone purchased the ones that are modified to get free tv and movies? Wondering if it's worth the $100-$125 investment.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Chromecast sucks dick. Waste of money IMO.

The firestick works well although it does lag here and there, but overall worth the few bucks.
Has anyone purchased the ones that are modified to get free tv and movies? Wondering if it's worth the $100-$125 investment.

just buy the $40 fire stick and mod it yourself for free... doesnt take long and honestly it isnt worth that price. Links can be hit and miss for free stuff, especially any sort of live streams for events.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Chrome cast was out far before the firestick......that's why I have both.

same here and honestly the chromecast works amazingly for anything streamed from an android device. It works really well for that...but that's all i got as far features :rofl:

I've been playing with the fire stick for about a week now, stock wise it works pretty well. I am digging the controller. Kodi on the fire stick also runs fairly well, ive had it crash a couple times and have had many dead links and issues with live tv streams. Kodi is FAR from a full cable replacement without any struggles, configuration and occasional lag, BUT for a FREE addon for the firestick, I cant really complain much. When links are good and streams are solid, I love it.

I haven't tried local streaming yet but i'm sure I wont have any issues since that's pretty reliable.

I also picked up an amplified antenna and I am very surprised at the quality of some of the OTA channels

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info