🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
6k for a hobbled together clutch and 12k for a fucking aftermarket? What in the actual fuck!

I'll stick with my poor person Mustang and $1,500 twin discs that'll take 1,000hp

And I have the poor person 911! Imagine if it was a good one!

Engine shop is out of state?

Yes, Arizona. There are only two or three companies that I would consider. All of them have great reputations for work. One is super slow, one is slow and poor communication, and the other seems to have poor communication.

The shop I used is who my tuner recommended, EVO. They also developed a few of the upgraded parts for these engines. As well as figured procedures to replicate procedures robots do from the factory. Or ways to make head studs and procedure so they don't have to be retorqued after a heat cycle. Stuff like that. It sucks that they are so far away. I hate dealing with shops far away. But AIM is in Jersey and beyond buried (A local guy I know sent his car there and it's been well over a year without any work done to it) Ended up shipping it back from them to have a local shop pull the motor and send it to EVO in Arizona. And Promotive is in Arkansas and far out as well.

It is what it is. I know local shops taking forever with common chevy and ford engines. So just part of the game. Sadly lol

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
And I have the poor person 911! Imagine if it was a good one!

Yes, Arizona. There are only two or three companies that I would consider. All of them have great reputations for work. One is super slow, one is slow and poor communication, and the other seems to have poor communication.

The shop I used is who my tuner recommended, EVO. They also developed a few of the upgraded parts for these engines. As well as figured procedures to replicate procedures robots do from the factory. Or ways to make head studs and procedure so they don't have to be retorqued after a heat cycle. Stuff like that. It sucks that they are so far away. I hate dealing with shops far away. But AIM is in Jersey and beyond buried (A local guy I know sent his car there and it's been well over a year without any work done to it) Ended up shipping it back from them to have a local shop pull the motor and send it to EVO in Arizona. And Promotive is in Arkansas and far out as well.

It is what it is. I know local shops taking forever with common chevy and ford engines. So just part of the game. Sadly lol
Gotta pay to play. Sucks, but once the wait is over, you'll be all smiles.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The issues Pratt is having with the engine shop is true, I know of another build that is having the same issue with that same engine shop with a build happening at his shop in Glen Ellen.
That later style motor went out a couple of weeks after mine and just showed up back at the shop last week.

I also forgot, they said one of the reasons for the hold-up on my motor was a quality control issue with the batch of rods for my motor. But they have received a new batch of rods already. So that is why that motor got done in front of mine. But seeing it show up gave me hope mine will be done soon.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
That later style motor went out a couple of weeks after mine and just showed up back at the shop last week.

I also forgot, they said one of the reasons for the hold-up on my motor was a quality control issue with the batch of rods for my motor. But they have received a new batch of rods already. So that is why that motor got done in front of mine. But seeing it show up gave me hope mine will be done soon.
He paid more than you, bottom line. LOL

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Flying there and getting in their face isn't going to do me any good. It would just piss them off and cost me money. I figured the 3 months would turn into 6. We are at 6 now. So fingers crossed it gets here safely soon.

And yes, once back together, broke in, and re-tuned, I am sure I will be happy and have no worries. As long as I get to enjoy the car late summer & fall, I'll be happy.

I know others on this forum that have struggled to get projects done. It always sucks waiting on others.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Waiting on parts or just your turn for machining and assembly? What are you doing a forged rotating rebuild?

They had all the parts when I sent the deposit. So just waiting in line for some machining and assembly. The heads got a CNC port cleanup and new OE parts installed. All new cam timing chains, guides, lifters (ouch$$$), and so on.

It is using the stock forged crank, Carrillo rods, 3.8L sleeves & pistons (3.6L stock), and larger 10mm head studs. As well as some oiling mods and a GT3 oil pump. It also had the preventative mod of pinning the sleeves to the cams. The sleeves spin on the cams and then you lose precise control over the cam adjustment and damage related to it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Pratt, do you know this guy? He was at GLD on Sunday and pulled the front wheels. The car was wild

View attachment 124598

I know who he (Greg) and his wife (Melissa) are from the forums and IG. But I have never met them in person. It is a killer 991 Turbo. Mark Blackwell was the original owner who had it built. It was in magazines and online with pics of it lifting the wheels last year. It made like 1150 hp / 1000 tq at the wheels. They also have a white 991 like this one that is slightly slower.

He had an older 993 Turbo that was incredible. But it caught on fire after a shop had done work on it.

I saw him post that he is building a 997 Turbo (like mine) now as well.

His IG is gjhdevelopments

Reactions: Boostie

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
I know who he (Greg) and his wife (Melissa) are from the forums and IG. But I have never met them in person. It is a killer 991 Turbo. Mark Blackwell was the original owner who had it built. It was in magazines and online with pics of it lifting the wheels last year. It made like 1150 hp / 1000 tq at the wheels. They also have a white 991 like this one that is slightly slower.

He had an older 993 Turbo that was incredible. But it caught on fire after a shop had done work on it.

I saw him post that he is building a 997 Turbo (like mine) now as well.

His IG is gjhdevelopments

Awesome! I got a video of his second pass but it wasn’t as violent as the first. Iirc the car was running deep in the 9’s. There was another Porsche there too that was pretty quick but unfortunately I know nothing about them and couldn’t even tell you the model [emoji23]

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Awesome! I got a video of his second pass but it wasn’t as violent as the first. Iirc the car was running deep in the 9’s. There was another Porsche there too that was pretty quick but unfortunately I know nothing about them and couldn’t even tell you the model [emoji23]
I believe he posted the quickest pass that day was 9.05.

I am almost positive Mark ran 8's with it at one point.

Thread Info