🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Knowing Pratt he repurchased the Capri and is swapping that motor in the Porsche!

Nah. But a twin turbo LS was in consideration. haha

Pratt doesnt need more power, he couldnt even handle what he had, always leaving tcs on with an AWD car ??

Says that guy that I have YET to see on a course with us. :p ?

Heard this car is going down to tx2k to take on calvo vipers?

Pffft not even close. 670 whp will be upgraded to 720 whp. Just a baby build.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
So figured I would post a small update. The engine is apart and everything looks great. Except for a bent rod. lol So it seems my idea to upgrade rods & pistons was a good one. haha

Reliability I tell ya!
You plan to be at the track days at all this year? I haven’t seen this car out since the Wisconsin trip when traffic screwed us out of highway play time

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Go big or go home. 900+hp or bust. Now is the time.

The issue is money. To go more than 700-750 whp means A LOT more money and mods. But if I spent that money, which I'm not, the car could make upwards of 1,300-1,400 whp. But this is not one of those builds. :rofl:

You plan to be at the track days at all this year? I haven’t seen this car out since the Wisconsin trip when traffic screwed us out of highway play time

I'm not sure if I'll drag race it. But I hope to at least come hang out at track days and other events. So hopefully I'll see you around this year.

So how much faster will this blow by me on the straightaway at autobahn full?

Potentially, a lot more mph. But we will see if my balls and driving skills catch up to the car's potential. At Blackhawk the speed at which the corner approaches was scary for sure. lol A couple of laps I let it eat and tried braking pretty late. The back end started to dance around with that speed and real hard braking. Maybe need some adjustments. I definitely need more seat time and bigger balls. haha

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The issue is money. To go more than 700-750 whp means A LOT more money and mods. But if I spent that money, which I'm not, the car could make upwards of 1,300-1,400 whp. But this is not one of those builds. :rofl:

I'm not sure if I'll drag race it. But I hope to at least come hang out at track days and other events. So hopefully I'll see you around this year.

Potentially, a lot more mph. But we will see if my balls and driving skills catch up to the car's potential. At Blackhawk the speed at which the corner approaches was scary for sure. lol A couple of laps I let it eat and tried braking pretty late. The back end started to dance around with that speed and real hard braking. Maybe need some adjustments. I definitely need more seat time and bigger balls. haha
Road america for you sir, one of the best tracks in the country for higher hp cars IMO

One the phrases that really made things click for me when I was still new-ish on the bike was "brake later, brake lighter", but test this in the turns that have plenty of runoff lol (so basically don't try it at blackhawk). The car or bike can handle way more corner speed than you think it can. Before I started thinking this way I'd push the braking zone deeper but just hit the brakes harder, upsetting everything and not making my lap any faster.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Road america for you sir, one of the best tracks in the country for higher hp cars IMO

One the phrases that really made things click for me when I was still new-ish on the bike was "brake later, brake lighter", but test this in the turns that have plenty of runoff lol (so basically don't try it at blackhawk). The car or bike can handle way more corner speed than you think it can. Before I started thinking this way I'd push the braking zone deeper but just hit the brakes harder, upsetting everything and not making my lap any faster.
RA is definitely a solid track. One of my customer's ran his 997 Turbo up there and said the straights are fun, but his Turbo feels like a bloated hippo on the corners, even with all his mods. Said he prefers his GT3 up there and Turbo on the streets.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
RA is definitely a solid track. One of my customer's ran his 997 Turbo up there and said the straights are fun, but his Turbo feels like a bloated hippo on the corners, even with all his mods. Said he prefers his GT3 up there and Turbo on the streets.
It'd feel way more bloated at a track where you spend <5% of the time WOT (which is most of them) lol. At least at RA he gets to use the HP

I don't like technical tracks at all personally

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thread Info