🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Thanks, everyone!

I ran around yesterday running errands so I took the car. It is just so easy and enjoyable to drive. I find myself using the Sport mode so the throttle inputs and other things are crisper. Then I put the shocks in normal mode since the streets around here are not exactly great. Especially after this last winter. This is the first car I have owned with an adjustable suspension. It is nice to have it comfortable when I want and stiffer when I want it that way.

There is a suspension controller that makes the passive suspension an active suspension. Everyone raves how it transforms the cars handling. It used a G meter to help determine what shock needs to be stiffened and when. So when you hit the brakes hard, instead of it nosediving, it will stiffen the front shocks and counteract that weight transfer. So acceleration, braking, and turning are all improved. As well as ride quality. The manufacturer offers several tunes for your car. It also is user programmable using their software. I'm probably more excited about getting that than the power mods. haha

Congrats on sweet ride !

love the color

Thanks. I was happy to get this color. Grey and white were my first choices. But white 911 turbo are impossible to find. And command a premium price.

Really badass car. I like Porsche’s but get confused on the 9999 numbering. Idk which comes with what or the differences. Glad you took time to explain that. But you still call yours a .1?

Many cars do a mid-model redesign. They use the .1 or .2 to distinguish between the two. In the case of the 997 Turbo is it 2007-2008 versus 2010-2013. It is helpful when you buy one and want to know what options and features it has. Same with shopping for parts. Since the 997.1 Turbo and 997.2 Turbo use completely different engines and therefor different components.

2009 was an odd year for the Turbo as it had the new redesign but still had the more sought after Mezger engine and 6 speed for some of the year. Those command big money as well.

Congrats , this is very nice purchase . when I was ready to buy a car couple years ago it was either a GTR or a manual 997.1 . Clean manual 997.1 were hard to find , like 95% of 997.1s had that crappy tiptronic trans

The Tiptronic isn't a bad trans for a daily driver for someone who isn't worried about performance driving on a track. But ya, the 997.1 with a manual trans is harder to come by for sure.

It's not like you got stuck with a bad car. haha

Some gloss black concave HRE wheels would set this bitch off.

Eventually, it will get wheels. I have other plans and parts to get on the car first. Let's just say I have a shopping list of parts for the car already. :rofl:

I don't mind the look of the stock wheels. I might add spacers to push them out to the body more. I also am kicking around the idea of powder coating or painting them for now.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Quick story. A buddy I worked with bought an '07 997.1, unbeknownst to me, I kept taking about how awesome the COBB Accessport was on the Focus ST. He ended up getting one and changed the downpipe on the Porsche, and he said it was a HUGE difference! Unfortunately he offered me a chance to take it for a spin and i never did before he demodded. Pretty sure he cracked mid 10s with just those 2 parts, on the triptronic trans.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Getting low 11s out of a stock manual 997.1 might be just as hard as getting 9.6 out of a stock Demon :bowrofl:

on the other hand enjoy awesome AWD traction . I never looked hard but how fast do they run with basic boltons on stock turbos ?

I remember reading that Motor Trend got their test car to go 11.3-11.4 @ 120 mph. I heard buddies saying a tune, exhaust and intercoolers are enough to run 10's.

I don't think you have many owners drag racing as you see on other platforms. I don't plan drag racing it much either.

I haven't launched the car hard yet. The stock hydraulic slave cylinder is very vague. So I will wait till I get some parts in the car before I go banzai. lol

Those cougars be dropping their panties!!!!

Nice ride!!

Old, young, what ever. lmao

Thanks

Congrats man! This thing have an exhaust and tune on it yet?

Day 9 of ownership and the car is still stock. lol

But parts have been ordered. The thread will be updated as they come in. :D

Quick story. A buddy I worked with bought an '07 997.1, unbeknownst to me, I kept taking about how awesome the COBB Accessport was on the Focus ST. He ended up getting one and changed the downpipe on the Porsche, and he said it was a HUGE difference! Unfortunately he offered me a chance to take it for a spin and i never did before he demodded. Pretty sure he cracked mid 10s with just those 2 parts, on the triptronic trans.

People rag on the Tiptronic trans because it isn't the dual clutch PDK. But it is a good trans and many like it. If you are in traffic a lot I can imagine the trans would be great. As well as someone wants the speed without three pedals. It is probably faster than most people are with the manual trans too.

I am sure a tune really can wake these cars up. Increase the boost and so on and it is gonna make good power. I think on 93 octane the typical tune makes about 500(ish) whp and 600(ish) in e85. Not bad considering the car makes 480 crank hp stock.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So parts I ordered are starting to show up. I mentioned the clutch in these cars are famously over assisted giving a very easy and vague clutch pedal. It uses the power steering pump for the assist. You can't feel the point where the clutch starts to grab. When a buddy and I did a pre-purchase inspection we say that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking. So it needed a new one. At this point I had 3 options.

1. Replace it with a factory slave cylinder.
2. Convert it to the expensive factory GT2 slave cylinder and power steering pump. The GT2 slave cylinder is not power assisted. So you need the GT2 power steering pump and few other odds and ends. This is expensive and a bit of work.
3. A company called BBI Autosports sells their own designed slave cylinder that basically keeps the stock power steering hoses hook up to it but just bypasses it right back to the pump without assisting the slave cylinder. It is an easy swap and has a great reputation.

My buddy has the BBI in his car with a Sachs 2.5 performance clutch. What a difference in feel with this setup. You can easily tell where the engagement point is. I think the pedal effort is a little more than I want. But I can switch the spring on the clutch pedal to the GT3 spring and it reduced the effort a bit. One of the guys on the forums did a little testing of the pedal effort with different springs. Without a spring on the pedal was like 75# to depress the clutch. The stock Turbo spring was like 65#. With the GT3 spring, it was like 55#. Stock Turbo clutch and spring was like 45#. Knowing this I decided to go the route of the BBI slave cylinder, Sachs performance clutch (more on this later) and will probably add the GT3 spring. Luckily I was able to buy one from someone that never installed it. I saved myself like $250. Score.

This is one of those pieces it is a shame no one will ever see. lol

Qgzv3CB.jpg

wSkcjQ8.jpg

What it looks like on top of the transaxle

17955163298_3025f36a85_k.jpg

More pics and info as more pieces come in. :D

Thread Info