🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Super shops!!!!

You know it! haha

This car is just BEGGING for a nice set of wheels!

Agreed. I have spacers that help get the wheel/tire to the lid of the fender wells. But didn't have time to test them with the new suspension before the track day. I'll get them on so it'll look better. But eventually, I will get a set on the car. I just can't find a set I really like. And not looking forward to paying $10k for new wheels. :cry:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
damn that's sexy.... dare I say more sexy than the owner.

I like the wheels

Oh my! lol

I like the wheels. Which isn't making me look too hard for aftermarket ones at this point.

134, got damn

It's a short straight to be at that kind of mph. And this was on the "soft" 93 octane road race tune. Braking was sketchy at that mph as the back end was wiggling some. lol My buddies were about 109-112 mph I believe. That is about where I kept it at for most of the laps.

Big improvement on the drop, car looks great! Some wheels will definitely set this thing off.
Ya, the drop was needed for sure. Especially in the back end.

"The lower the altitude, the higher the attitude"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It is a fun track. No real long straightaway. So you don't need a big power to take advantage of it. Plus being a short track you get to really concentrate on just a few corners. Plenty of attempts at each corner to try different ways to attack them and see what works best for you.

You are right, it has less runoff for sure. Turn 3 actually has little runoff and a dip into the grass. That could be bad if you go off there. That's a higher mph long turn too.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Good thing you upgraded brakes/ducting for blackhawk. Of all the local tracks (Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn) Blackhawk was the hardest on brakes for my car. I put a set of partially used pads down to backing plates in one weekend there.

No gopros of the track time?

Intermediate should help a bit for having a bit more space to keep up your pace. I think my fastest time in the mazda3 was a 1:29 with a lot more 1:31-1:33's in intermediate with Gridlife but there just aren't a ton of places to pass if you get stuck behind a slower car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If you are interested in anything BC Forged I might be able to help with some decent cost savings.

Cool. I will keep that in mind when the time comes for wheels.

Good thing you upgraded brakes/ducting for blackhawk. Of all the local tracks (Road America, Gingerman, Autobahn) Blackhawk was the hardest on brakes for my car. I put a set of partially used pads down to backing plates in one weekend there.

No gopros of the track time?

Intermediate should help a bit for having a bit more space to keep up your pace. I think my fastest time in the mazda3 was a 1:29 with a lot more 1:31-1:33's in intermediate with Gridlife but there just aren't a ton of places to pass if you get stuck behind a slower car.

I brought my GoPro but never used it. I have to get better about using the damn thing haha

I knew brake cooling would be a good idea if I planned to track it. It's nice that there are factory-available parts that are designed for the 'GT' and Cup cars. And of course, pads and brake fluid are things I always change for track days. An aggressive pad that can handle the heat is important. I was impressed with the braking. I don't think I pushed the brakes that hard and still was able to start braking late in the braking zones.

I know I am not even close to taking advantage of the car's capabilities yet. Like turn 3 where it is a fast speed, slight turn. I kept going faster there with each session. As I felt more comfortable with the lateral grip the car has. I never really heard the Michelin pilot 4s tires make any noise that they were reaching their limits in grip. But the track drops off from the track and there is little runoff there. So I think that messed with my head too. haha I just have to become more comfortable with the car's capabilities. Now the slower turns like 1, 3A, 3B, and 7, I pushed it harder where I could hear the tires and even drifted slightly a couple of times trying different things. It was a fun track and it's always great to hang out with buddies.

I think my three buddies in the intermediate group got the best lap times in the 1:29 range. But they even had some trouble. There were three Corvettes in their group that wouldn't point people by. So they were pretty frustrated by that.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Turn 3 can be scary. As I was pushing harder and harder, I felt the rear of my car starting to get loose towards the end of the carousel.

My few laps where I wasn't in traffic, I was in the low 1:28 range. I think Dale was a couple seconds faster. Using a phone for GPS and lap timing there seemed pretty useless though. I was using the track addict app which records video and overlays GPS data. My GPS position was lagging quite a bit and showed off track several times. For next season I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a GPS module with a fast refresh rate.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Turn 3 can be scary. As I was pushing harder and harder, I felt the rear of my car starting to get loose towards the end of the carousel.

My few laps where I wasn't in traffic, I was in the low 1:28 range. I think Dale was a couple seconds faster. Using a phone for GPS and lap timing there seemed pretty useless though. I was using the track addict app which records video and overlays GPS data. My GPS position was lagging quite a bit and showed off track several times. For next season I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a GPS module with a fast refresh rate.
Our lemons team uses harrys and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YCZINA/?tag=tcg21-20

I use a racecapture with the 10k gps data etc although the new thing I want to simplify/replace it with is probably an https://apextrackcoach.com/product/apex-pro-bundle-for-slip-angle-listeners/ Only complaint is it is IOS only but it simplifies a lot of things and gives you track coaching while driving via the LED's.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
BMW M3 goes like 1:15 there

Spec miatas in the 1:22-24.

Do you have secs on the M3? The only thing I saw when I google'd "Andy ASM M3" was a car that was more race car than a streetcar. Then there were links to a LS7 swapped M3 that looked WAY more than your average street car with upgraded pads, coil-overs, and hard street tires. lol

Since it isn't a track with big straightaways where big power could really benefit you, I think most streetcars would be hard-pressed to be at the spec Miata times. Especially since those guys race with reckless abandon. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Do you have secs on the M3? The only thing I saw when I google'd "Andy ASM M3" was a car that was more race car than a streetcar. Then there were links to a LS7 swapped M3 that looked WAY more than your average street car with upgraded pads, coil-overs, and hard street tires. lol

Since it isn't a track with big straightaways where big power could really benefit you, I think most streetcars would be hard-pressed to be at the spec Miata times. Especially since those guys race with reckless abandon. :ROFLMAO:

Reinharte Suspension
AST Carbon diff
Goodyear Eagle F1-3R Tires.

Reactions: BS ISF

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Details?! I got a quote last winter from Mario’s guy and he came back at list pricing…lol

So I have direct contact info for BC Forged. I think I may be able to order wheels direct or at least try to. I have been wanting to test the waters and at least see if I could do it through my girlfriend's business.

It was on the paperwork for my wheels since they were drop shipped.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
So I have direct contact info for BC Forged. I think I may be able to order wheels direct or at least try to. I have been wanting to test the waters and at least see if I could do it through my girlfriend's business.

It was on the paperwork for my wheels since they were drop shipped.
MIGHT be interested this winter. The trans just set me back $4k, so if I spend another 4k on a set of wheels while I already have two sets, the wife might start to get shitty with me...lol.

Definitely would love a nice jewelry looking set of BC Forged though!

Reactions: greasy

Thread Info