🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Pressure Ratio Pressure Ratio the new taillights look awesome. I know you got those for Jeff when he sees your taillights on the next round!

I got a new updated tune today that will sneak a little more power in and more RPM. But Jeffie's car makes a lot of steam. Not gonna be enough to show him my taillight. That's gonna take a built motor. And that isn't happening any time soon if I can help it.

So Pratt you replaced taillights so people could see that you are stopping easier? aka more bulbs more visibility?

That was part of it. Not sure if these will successfully do that or not. But also to update the looks.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I get wanting to change the look and whatnot. But I have seen some cars where you can hardly see the lights due to tint or tinted paint. Including the head lights. lol

They make a set of these tail lights in a smoked version. I thought the "Blac Smoke" version would be too dark against the grey paint. As well as reduce the light intensity. So Russo Red it was.

(Sellers listing pictures)

Russo Red
61N6oPlmbdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Black smoke
61qcq387aQL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Did you run this thing at the track this weekend?

Yes, I am still trying to work on all the excuses I can use. lmao

Dark housing lights are usually the best compromise. Light output is close enough and they do look awesome. The painted lenses are hard to see during the day, YES I wear glasses.

The dark housings with clear/red lenses are the way to go. It is hard to tell in their pics, probably photoshopped, but they are tinted lense, not dark housings.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So I went up to GLD yesterday. They had a big event but surprisingly it was pretty empty in the staging lanes all day. My buddy made 9 passes from 11:30 till 3. So here's the skinny on how the day went down and what I found. I planned to take it easy as I don't want to launch it hard, power shift the trans, and so on. I'm not looking to buy expensive OE parts anytime soon. lol

The car is a HUGE pain in the ass to launch. lol FIrst off the throttle is so touchy and the engine is rev-happy in neutral that finding and holding a launch RPM is close to impossible. So I would get the rpm close and let the clutch out. That was ticky too. The track was glued heavily so it was either bog the engine, slip the clutch till it go hot, or launch high enough so that the car would spin slightly and wheel hop. The car really needs wheel speed to keep the engine RPM up and not bog.

The next issue I had was the car hit the rev limiter in 4th gear about 150' before the finish line. I tried to shift into 5th gear on a pass but the MPH suffered by about 4-5.

Soooo the best ET of the day was 11.001 @ 133.80. That was on a 1.75 60' and 107 mph in the 1/8th. Typically a car in this power level will pick up 30 mph in the second half of the track. So going by that, I think the car would have gone 137 mph. Just about where I figured it should. Hopefully slightly better if I was in better DA (1,700' yesterday), had a higher rev limiter. More if I have the balls to launch it harder and power shift the trans. At this time, I don't see it happening anytime soon. haha

The highest mph of the day was 134.64.

The lowest 60' time of the day was 1.67. (This was an 11.006 pass that I shifted into 5th before the finish line killing the mph, 130. Had I banged if off the rev limiter it would have gone in the 10's grrrr)

That said, I am happy with the car and results. Would I have been happier to run a 10.99 versus a few 11.00? Heck ya! ? Running deeper in the 10's? Of course. But the car runs hard and is a blast on and off the track. I already had the tuner give me a drag tune with a higher rev limiter (7,400 vs 7,000). These cars can have cam spinning in the actuator issues. Expensive to fix. So the reason he calls this a drag tune is the higher rev limiter is to only be used in 4th gear as a precaution. He also decided to add another pound of boost and a little more timing over 6,000 rpm. So that is solved for next time and should MPH pretty well. Unfortunately, there is no 2 step in the Cobb for this platform. So keeping a steady launch RPM will continue to be tricky. So between the throttle issue, clutch release needing to be pretty spot on, and not wanting to abuse the car, I am 100% the thing holding the car back. ?

7IjZBdX.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Nice Times, I mean it’s not a drag car and it’s a manual trans I think those times are pretty solid, the mph is definitely solid

Ya, I knew it wouldn't be a real strong drag car like the newer 991 Turbo S is. That launch control is incredible. I can chip away at it if I want to. I think with the tune update, power shifting, and good DA it might go 142 mph or so. But not sure the ET will be incredible unless I toss caution to the wind and get real aggressive with it. No thanks haha

Couldn't run 10's with AWD and 700rwhp??? Burn that thing to the ground!

Says the guy who won't even go to the track with his DRAG CAR... lol

Or maybe you would like to put a regular radial tire on your car and show me how it's done? No AWD but your 1500+ whp, or more, should easily make up for that.

Let me know when you want to go to the Autobahn for a session or two. See if we can convert you from that drag racing anyways. haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1quick

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Bead maker does not last too long, so I dont think you have to wait for it to breakdown or degrade.
Carpro Reset is my go to shampoo.

I figured it would breakdown soon enough if I just don't apply it anymore. I may grab some Carpro Reset anyways. As well as a clay bar mitt. You still like those? Just so I can decontaminate the paint/coating if needed.

shits tired that's why

What does that make your car? I haz the video. :p

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
I figured it would breakdown soon enough if I just don't apply it anymore. I may grab some Carpro Reset anyways. As well as a clay bar mitt. You still like those? Just so I can decontaminate the paint/coating if needed.

What does that make your car? I haz the video. :p
extra tired, but for still being on 93 and having a passenger in my car, I'm not even mad at the outcome.

Thread Info