🔧 BUILD Pratt's 997.1 911 Turbo

General Information

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 911 Turbo for years now. I love the 930, 964, and 993 are all out of my price range. Air cooled Porsche are pulling insane money right now. But the 996 (2001-2005) and 997.1 (2007-2008) were in my price range. Not like anything is wrong with them by any means. They started out with 415hp in 2001 up to 480hp in 2007. Plus they have AWD. And let's not forget the incredible torque they make.

After looking for a while I decided to hunt down a 997.1 for a few reasons. It still looks modern (especially the interior), it has an upgraded AWD system over the 996, has variable geometry turbos that spool quickly and make great torque just about anywhere, and it has round headlight. haha But a big reason to get a 2007-early 2009 was the 2010 cars had a different motor and were mostly dual clutch cars. The pre 2010 car used the famously reliable Mezger engine.

The car doesn't have a lot of options. But it has the two main ones I wanted. Locking diff and Sports Chrono package. It has heated seats, Porsche insignia in the headrests, sport steering wheel, and Bose stereo adds a nice touch in the interior. But more than anything it was the color I wanted. I didn't want a silver or black one. It seems those two colors make up like 90% of these cars.

Here are some pic for now. Mook said he would shank me if I didn't post up about the car. So after two days of lots of driving, I took a few pics. So it is a little dirty.

1688754856779.png

ova7Qc0.jpg

LszMp3F.jpg

OsSjeJS.jpg

qLWqzVX.jpg

hkzQVJM.jpg

6nxHLsx.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So what are the engine builder's excuses on why the parts weren't shipped, then all of the parts weren't shipped? If they couldn't keep basic inventory of your parts I'd be concerned about them doing 'actual' work on the engine.

The shop is one of the premier places for these engines. They helped developed the parts for when they were new engines. But they have been struggling this past couple of years. I had concerns when communication stopped, deadlines came and went, etc. As well as cars that they had worked on started showing up at the shop with all kinds of issues. Luckily there were no motor assembly issues. So the fact we didn't get all the parts they said they had bagged concerned me. And why I immediately worried when my car started and didn't run right. But when they didn't send me all the parts they said they had bagged up, I knew I was better off ordering the parts from Porsche to move forward. The shop did send me all the remaining parts I was missing. So I have some spare parts now. What I bought from Porsche was fairly cheap, Like $200 worth of parts.

I think from now on, anyone that needs a motor done will get a recommendation to a guy a couple of hours away. He does Cup car (race car) engines a lot. But I think he is like 9-12 months to rebuild an engine. The Porsche world is kind of painful at times lol

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
The shop is one of the premier places for these engines. They helped developed the parts for when they were new engines. But they have been struggling this past couple of years. I had concerns when communication stopped, deadlines came and went, etc. As well as cars that they had worked on started showing up at the shop with all kinds of issues. Luckily there were no motor assembly issues. So the fact we didn't get all the parts they said they had bagged concerned me. And why I immediately worried when my car started and didn't run right. But when they didn't send me all the parts they said they had bagged up, I knew I was better off ordering the parts from Porsche to move forward. The shop did send me all the remaining parts I was missing. So I have some spare parts now. What I bought from Porsche was fairly cheap, Like $200 worth of parts.

I think from now on, anyone that needs a motor done will get a recommendation to a guy a couple of hours away. He does Cup car (race car) engines a lot. But I think he is like 9-12 months to rebuild an engine. The Porsche world is kind of painful at times lol
9-12 months is less than it took for yours to be done. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Glad you’re almost back and enjoying your penis extension.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
So once the motor was being built from the short block to a long block, we found that the engine builder didn't send any of the brackets, sensors, hardware, etc. All the items they took off the motor were supposedly bagged up and they forgot to send them with the motor. So they said they would ship the to me. So we get some of the parts but not all of them. So had to wait longer. But they were taking their time. So I bought new stuff from Porsche. Which meant getting stuff shipped by air. Which actually very cheap from Porsche.

So we finally had the engine assembled and ready to be installed into the car. Including the headers, turbos, oil & coolant lines, oil tank for the dry sump etc. A lift finally is open and the car gets the engine installed. A couple days later the car runs. But running like shit. It sounds bad. Idling it barely runs. I am starting to freak a little thinking there is something wrong with the motor. Like cam timing is off or something. Eric & Pat at Herbst High Performance did a great job of figuring it out.

When the car was apart I decided to send the injectors out to be cleaned and flowed. Just as preventative maintenance. Turns out one injector was dead. The car was not firing the number 2 cylinder. They drop the engine cradle and swap out two injectors. Sure enough, the miss follows the injector. I try to get a hold of the place that cleaned and flowed them, which was somewhat local. I just wanted to see if we could flow it to confirm it was the issue. Of course, they don't answer the phone or text. So I say fuck it and go to order a new set of ID1300s. Nope, it seems no one has them. So waited for them to come in. Pat somehow was able to get his hands in the motor to swap out all the injectors without having to lower the engine out of the car again. I've heard it's possible but didn't believe it. lol

So tuned the car on 93 then switched to E85. The tuning was going well but the tuner felt like it was being held back. We switched to a MAFless tune and immediately the car picked up. The car makes WAY more torque down low and in the midrange. Since the tuner can get after it on e85 without worrying about the stock rods.

BUUUUT now I can feel a thud in the car when I release the clutch and it engages. We think it could be a rear axle. It didn't snap the axle but probably broke something in the CV joint. I can still drive the car. But something isn't right. So back on the lift it goes. I have yet to launch the car hard. So far it has just been WOT in 3rd gear for data logs. And a few 2nd to 3rd rips.

Stock axles aren't easy to come by. I think I have a line on a used one. If not I have to wait 30-45 days for Drive Shaft Shop Stage 5 axles to be made.

It's been a whole experience. :hsughlol: haha

TLDR - Waited on parts, a dead injector, and now possibly a bad axle.
Man, the older I get the more I want just a stock or close to stock car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
9-12 months is less than it took for yours to be done. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Glad you’re almost back and enjoying your penis extension.

I was told 3 months to get mine rebuilt. So I was fine with that. It ended up taking 9-10 months. So ya, no difference if they don't get back to a normal 3-month turnaround.

Man, the older I get the more I want just a stock or close to stock car.

Trust me, I think about how a N/A Z06 Corvette sounds pretty good right now. Even if I'm not a big fan of the looks. It has less to break or go wrong, low weight, good power, great performance, etc. But I think those mofos have had motor issues as well. lol But hey, warranty my shit! haha

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Some wheels for you Pratt. These things are fucking sick!View attachment 176135
Those are giant. 20" wheels look goffy on my body style.

Gomez texted me telling me to bid on these.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Those are giant. 20" wheels look goffy on my body style.

Gomez texted me telling me to bid on these.

I agree they are probably slightly large, but look great! Those ROOF wheels are money

Thread Info