Pour One Out for the Impala

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The Impala died in '96. When GM switched to FWD it became an appliance. They tried a FWD V8 option but with the same suspension as the base model? What was the weight distribution like 80/20? Could it even make a turn under moderate throttle without breaking your wrist?

While I will never argue that a FWD based car will have shortcomings of physics in trying to move fast, trying to apply power and steer through the same set of wheels;

The SS doesn't have the same suspension as the base model. It does have bigger sway bars, different bushings as well as different shock and springs. And lets not forget bigger, 18" wheels vs. the base model. ALbeit, from the factory it was shod with shitty Goodyear Eagle RS-A's (which should've been illegal for Goodyear to sell they are so shittty...)

I have zero issues shuffling ours along at speeds in excess of legal limits. Is it the GTO, G8, or Cadillac? Absolutely not. Will I go take it to an auto-x event? Nope. But it is well mannered and makes glorious noises. One thing I gotta say, it sounds REALLY good with the stock exhaust. A lot of the Impala/Monte SS and GP GXP guys put aftermarket exhaust on, and it sounds obnoxious.

My real only complaints are the launch traction with a V8 twisting the fronts and of course the hellacious amount of torque management they dial up to save the notoriously overtaxed transaxle.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
While I will never argue that a FWD based car will have shortcomings of physics in trying to move fast, trying to apply power and steer through the same set of wheels;

The SS doesn't have the same suspension as the base model. It does have bigger sway bars, different bushings as well as different shock and springs. And lets not forget bigger, 18" wheels vs. the base model. ALbeit, from the factory it was shod with shitty Goodyear Eagle RS-A's (which should've been illegal for Goodyear to sell they are so shittty...)

I have zero issues shuffling ours along at speeds in excess of legal limits. Is it the GTO, G8, or Cadillac? Absolutely not. Will I go take it to an auto-x event? Nope. But it is well mannered and makes glorious noises. One thing I gotta say, it sounds REALLY good with the stock exhaust. A lot of the Impala/Monte SS and GP GXP guys put aftermarket exhaust on, and it sounds obnoxious.

My real only complaints are the launch traction with a V8 twisting the fronts and of course the hellacious amount of torque management they dial up to save the notoriously overtaxed transaxle.

Didn't they also reverse stagger the tires on these too? The front tires were wider than the back, or was that just the GXP? I'm sure its a good cruiser and a beast in a straight line but imo fuck it should have been RWD. V8 engine and FWD is just so wrong.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Didn't they also reverse stagger the tires on these too? The front tires were wider than the back, or was that just the GXP? I'm sure its a good cruiser and a beast in a straight line but imo fuck it should have been RWD. V8 engine and FWD is just so wrong.

Just the GXP. Along with bigger brakes too IIRC.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Man you guys need to look at the lastest gen Impala, I have the 2017 2LTZ and have been super impressed. It's a big comfy car, plenty of interior room, leather isn't bad for a domestic. The trunk can fit 2-3 dead bodies and your groceries. Hell I can't even reach all the stuff that slides against the back seat. The v6 has good power especially for the gas mileage you get in a such a big ass car. I've got 45k on mine and I am getting 24mpg mixed with doing remote start to warm it up in the winter. In the summer it's getting upper 20's mixed and 32 pure highway.

The only 2 things I'm not a fan off is the infotainment quirks and the rear end styling (never liked the tail lights on my 17). The infotainment problem I'd have to assume it's just how chevy does it in all their vehicles.

I was literally coming in to post the same thing. The current gen is a decent rental car, that's about it.

The 3.6l impala gets shit gas mileage and the 4cyl is UNGODLY slow. Over 8 seconds to 60...the type of car you're scared to merge in to traffic with lol. Looks decent but that's about it.

If I'm buying an appliance car it'd be a honda or toyota, not this heap

Interesting.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I was literally coming in to post the same thing. The current gen is a decent rental car, that's about it.

The 3.6l impala gets shit gas mileage and the 4cyl is UNGODLY slow. Over 8 seconds to 60...the type of car you're scared to merge in to traffic with lol. Looks decent but that's about it.

If I'm buying an appliance car it'd be a honda or toyota, not this heap

This is the second thread where you have stated this, I have not had a problem with gas mileage on the 3.6L engine in the impala. I've also asked a few others I have seen with the same car and they haven't seen poor mileage. So I have to ask what do you consider shit gas mileage?

This is a big car in today's standards and its a heavy pig but I would consider mid 20's to low 30's pretty damn good gas mileage for a chevy of this size.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Man you guys need to look at the lastest gen Impala, I have the 2017 2LTZ and have been super impressed. It's a big comfy car, plenty of interior room, leather isn't bad for a domestic. The trunk can fit 2-3 dead bodies and your groceries. Hell I can't even reach all the stuff that slides against the back seat. The v6 has good power especially for the gas mileage you get in a such a big ass car. I've got 45k on mine and I am getting 24mpg mixed with doing remote start to warm it up in the winter. In the summer it's getting upper 20's mixed and 32 pure highway.

The only 2 things I'm not a fan off is the infotainment quirks and the rear end styling (never liked the tail lights on my 17). The infotainment problem I'd have to assume it's just how chevy does it in all their vehicles.

We had a 17 impala with the door rusting. So many people passed on it because of the rust.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

CoppeR

snappydresser
Oct 2, 2008
West Burbs
Had to drive a few later model versions for work, god awful they were but I got over it and bought one 61 years older!

IMG_0441.JPG

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
kill off FWD impala, bring it back as a trim level on the caprice and open up sales to everyone FTW!
Caprice has been dead for 2 years and holden is dead as well. Good luck there.

if the caprice had been a civvy model, the SS could of easily been named the impala ss. I think they missed the boat there without having a cheaper version of the ss. They were probably just using up old parts laying around anyways.....

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Also the B body was horrendous. Fight me.

I would argue the opposite in that the longevity of it alone was staggering. It likely should have been replaced and/or modernized (look at the Panthers for instance where Ford did a darn decent job) but it went fairly unchanged underneath for decades. It was also the base design for a lot of other GM stuff arguably to include the Astro Vans, full size vans, 1/2 ton trucks and even second gen F-bodies used similar component parts in the front suspension/braking. It absolutely was dated but if you consider what cars were when it came out I would say it was probably actually pretty decent.

That said most if not all old cars were pretty terrible in one way or another; They look fucking fantastic though which leads most of us to forgive that.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is the second thread where you have stated this, I have not had a problem with gas mileage on the 3.6L engine in the impala. I've also asked a few others I have seen with the same car and they haven't seen poor mileage. So I have to ask what do you consider shit gas mileage?

This is a big car in today's standards and its a heavy pig but I would consider mid 20's to low 30's pretty damn good gas mileage for a chevy of this size.

Yeah my friends who have them get good mpg and they RIP 0-60 for what they are.

Waaaaayyyy bigger inside than a turd taurus, for sure.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info