Potentially picking up a 3800 powered winter beater, what to look for?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I would worry about a rusty body and the brake lines, but you covered that. If the trans seems OK, your good. The 3800 is bullet proof. I have a 1992 3800 with the same mileage, runs like a champ.

Coolant elbows are minor annoyance and easy fix. You can see one right above the water pump.

On a winter beater, I would pump the trans fluid out from the dipstick tube. You can get about a gallon that way. 15 minute job, no mess and no chance of leaking pan gasket. Better than doing nothing.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
1st of all what is price of said car? And im not much of a fan of the 4t60Es.....

Engine is all simple normal things to worry about with ANY 3800.

I mean they are like working on a lego how hard can it be.

On that note unless this is super cheap id look for a 98 or newer. (4t65 trans)

Regal, Park Ave, Leslobber, Last 2 are pretty damn easy to find cheap and usually not as beat on as the Grand Prixs and Regals.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
1st of all what is price of said car? And im not much of a fan of the 4t60Es.....

Engine is all simple normal things to worry about with ANY 3800.

I mean they are like working on a lego how hard can it be.

On that note unless this is super cheap id look for a 98 or newer. (4t65 trans)

Regal, Park Ave, Leslobber, Last 2 are pretty damn easy to find cheap and usually not as beat on as the Grand Prixs and Regals.

pretty cheap, I know the owner and the history of the car since new

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Nitpick on the 4t60 all you want, my '93 L67 4t60 has held up to 230k miles with a M62 with a 2.2 pulley, trans cooler and regular fluid changes. The only reason to shy away from one is if you want to build a 13 second car.

Bonnevilles only have the 'upper' coolant elbow. They also only have rust issues in the rear two subframe mounts, the rocker panels, and the frame rails under the rear seats in extreme cases. Don't lump W-body strut tower problems on every other 3800 platform :s00ls:

I've yet to find a trans that wasn't already FUBAR that was FUBAR from a fluid change.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you want a 3800, I would not focus on one car and just decide yes or no. If you look around, you can find many 3800s with less miles for reasonable prices. GM used them in a lot of cars.

Check all the fluids. I look at and smell them to see if they seem OK. Check the oil fill cap area and see if you see any discoloration or residue that might result from a head gasket leak. I also ask the owner if I can floor the car through the 1-2 shift. If there are trans issues, they may show up when the car shifts. It should be smooth with no hesitation or jolts. I take my hands off the wheel to see if the car tracks straight or pulls to one side. I hit the brakes hard to see if the car stops straight without complaints.

Always check the Carfax. It won't always show problems but it may show good or bad maintenance practices and any major items that have been reported. I ask for maintenance and repair records. A conscientious owner will have them. If there are no records, the car may have been maintained and repaired sporadically rather than well maintained and repaired.

Look for paint overspray in the wheel wells, under the hood, under and around the car. Overspray may indicate a repaint done by a sloppy shop.

Turn on EVERY button and switch to check accessory operation. Every window, the sunroof, lights, turn signals, door locks, etc. Open and close every door to make sure they work smoothly and properly. If you do find issues, they are a good bargaining point. Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info