đź’¬ Off Topic Post your latest purchase

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I've been bike riding again at night and my old light just wasn't cutting it anymore. First of all, it wouldn't stay in place anymore and secondly it seemed to have lost power.

Kind of excited to try this out tonight.

71fZGZa7YrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I've been bike riding again at night and my old light just wasn't cutting it anymore. First of all, it wouldn't stay in place anymore and secondly it seemed to have lost power.

Kind of excited to try this out tonight.

71fZGZa7YrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Which set is that? I have some cheap Chineseum stuff. It's supposed to be 1200 lumens, but I'm guessing it's 800-900 at best. However it does have a 5000mah or 5500mah battery, so lasts a long time and it has a USB Type-A port, so I can charge my phone, Garmin Edge 130, or run the GoPro off of it. The housing is aluminum, and it has a digital readout that counts down by 10 for battery remaining (99%, 90%, 80%, etc), but where the handlebar mount connects to the bottom of the housing is total junk and broke within the first few weeks of usage. It's be epoxied in place, so no longer adjustable.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Which set is that? I have some cheap Chineseum stuff. It's supposed to be 1200 lumens, but I'm guessing it's 800-900 at best. However it does have a 5000mah or 5500mah battery, so lasts a long time and it has a USB Type-A port, so I can charge my phone, Garmin Edge 130, or run the GoPro off of it. The housing is aluminum, and it has a digital readout that counts down by 10 for battery remaining (99%, 90%, 80%, etc), but where the handlebar mount connects to the bottom of the housing is total junk and broke within the first few weeks of usage. It's be epoxied in place, so no longer adjustable.

Here is the link:

I don't think it's anything fancy. It didn't list the lumens (usually means it's nothing to brag about), but I think it's much lower than 1,200. But from the testimonial videos, it looked much brighter than what I had.

The battery is smaller, like 2,000mAh, but should be good for 5 one-hour bike rides before it needs charging. The rear light should be roughly twice that. That battery readout is pretty low tech, supposedly just flashes red when it gets low.

But I bought it because it was cheap ($19) and had decent reviews. Most of the riding I do is somewhat lit, but there are quite a few sections where there aren't any street lights. This is also so that people can see me as well. There's a lot of old farts in Florida, so I want to make sure these people can see me riding down the road.

I had a dude yell at me for riding in the bike lane going against the flow of traffic. The lanes are marked with arrows going with the flow of traffic. I like to see people coming so that I can tell if they're drifting towards me or not.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I primarily ride on paths/trails, so no concerns about blinding cars, just oncoming people on the paths, who themselves aren't conscientious about where their lights are aimed. I prefer a long-throw focus instead of something wide. Need to be able to see a good 75-100 yards down the path in front of me.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Here is the link:

I don't think it's anything fancy. It didn't list the lumens (usually means it's nothing to brag about), but I think it's much lower than 1,200. But from the testimonial videos, it looked much brighter than what I had.

The battery is smaller, like 2,000mAh, but should be good for 5 one-hour bike rides before it needs charging. The rear light should be roughly twice that. That battery readout is pretty low tech, supposedly just flashes red when it gets low.

But I bought it because it was cheap ($19) and had decent reviews. Most of the riding I do is somewhat lit, but there are quite a few sections where there aren't any street lights. This is also so that people can see me as well. There's a lot of old farts in Florida, so I want to make sure these people can see me riding down the road.

I had a dude yell at me for riding in the bike lane going against the flow of traffic. The lanes are marked with arrows going with the flow of traffic. I like to see people coming so that I can tell if they're drifting towards me or not.
Probably illegal to ride against traffic there because it is in most states.

Light and motion make solid actually bright useful lights. I’ve got a few for mountain bike night riding

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Two things. First, ended up grabbing the Garmin headlight which looks like it'll work pretty well. It uses a standard "action cam" two finger mount, so I can use any of my GoPro mounts with it, if needed. Conversely, I can mount my GoPro to the new mounting arm it came with. I flipped it upside-down so that the GoPro would be right-side up, which makes the GPS work a lot better.

Second, and just posted it in the May 6th drag racing event thread, a set of new ramps for the bikes/ATV. Wanted the ones rated for 1000lbs each, since my cruiser is 680 dry, but they've been on delay/back order for almost two months. Cancelled it and got the next best thing that was actually in stock. Some 9' arched folding ramps, but rated at 600lbs each. No issue for the track bike, ATV, and riding mower, but hesitant to use for the cruiser since the bike is 12% over max rated weight.

9' Black Widow folding arch ramps (about 12" wide). I don't expect the black paint finish to last very long.
IMG_6618.JPG

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I pulled the trigger on a new bike. My older Schwinn from Walmart was acting up. I might have been able to get the bike serviced, but the service likely would have been almost as much as I paid for the bike. The new Trek (Verve 2) was a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I've been casually biking almost 5 days a week, so I thought it was worth it. I haven't really ridden it yet besides the little test spin at the shop.

Verve2Disc_21_32735_B_Portrait

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I pulled the trigger on a new bike. My older Schwinn from Walmart was acting up. I might have been able to get the bike serviced, but the service likely would have been almost as much as I paid for the bike. The new Trek (Verve 2) was a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I've been casually biking almost 5 days a week, so I thought it was worth it. I haven't really ridden it yet besides the little test spin at the shop.

I have a 2015 Trek 7.3 FX and have zero complaints with it.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005

I need one of these or a more affordable one.
I need to exercise more. Lol. Don’t we all.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Another reason I got this bike is because the riding season is pretty much year-round here. Though those summer months, I tend not to bike when the sun is out. 100 miles a week would be nice. I'm also trying to get time in with weights, so it'd be hard for me to get 20 miles a day and still have time for both.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Those brakes might give you trouble if they say “power” on the side.

Thread Info