• YAHOO, MOTHERFUCKER!
Reactions: IDAFC21

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I feel like I'm in the dark ages compared to you two. Old MSI G45 m/b with Z87 chipset and a i7-4770K. Think it was built in 2014-ish.

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB:
1628826476028.png

Oddly, my WD Black 1TB (7200rpm) had worse numbers than the WD Blue (5400rpm). Both are about the same in space utilization.

Blue (left) Black (right)
1628826845397.png
1628826823333.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'd like to as well, but with my old setup I'm not even sure I would benefit from an NVMe.

One of the resident geniuses would have to help me (or tell me) whether or not it would be worth it, or if the hardware would fully utilize it. I'd need a PCIe expansion card version since the m/b doesn't have an m.2 slot.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I haven’t tried truenas scale yet. It’s still in beta.

but it’s way more capable with lots more features while still riding on a rock solid ZFS file system.
I'm pretty sure I have all zfs pools so hopefully its easy to import. Gonna be the first time ive had to do a restore...guess I should write it down for next time ?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Importing pools is easy as hell. I've done it multiple times.

Go to Storage > Pools > Add..

....Import an existing pool. It'll search and then you just select it and add it back.

You'd have to setup any shares or other things like Mount Points in Jails again, but the data, file systems, and permissions will all still be there.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
PSA remember to read the release notes to save yourself a few hours of work. :rofl:

Installed truenas, imported zfs pools....couldn't access data on all the drives, only free space.

Well... turns out if you are going from version 11 to 12, you need to make sure to clear out the root permissions or you won't have access to the files.

Luckily its just a few commands, delete/re-add the pool and setup all the shares again to fix it.

I have most things up and running, still dealing with a couple permission issues.

Also have a data folder that shows up in a windows share...but is not accessible by the truenas Linux install?? Yet the share is hosted by truenas... No clue wtf is going on there but I need to change the permissions on it from truenas but it doesn't see it. Its read only on windows side which is my problem.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
HDD's kept in good environments have a useful lifespan from 40k to 60k hours (5-7 years)

If the drive is kept cool, and never idles (parks head and spins down) then it'll last a very long time.

Spin Up/Down increases risk factor for head contacting surface of platter as it rides on the boundary layer of air when the disk is spinning. However, parking the head, and spinning down the drive increase the chances the head will contact the platter.

My original 8TB disks are at 43k hours right now. I expect to run them another 2 years or so. But the second a single one of those 6 disks has a failure, they are ALL getting replaced.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
HDD's kept in good environments have a useful lifespan from 40k to 60k hours (5-7 years)

If the drive is kept cool, and never idles (parks head and spins down) then it'll last a very long time.

Spin Up/Down increases risk factor for head contacting surface of platter as it rides on the boundary layer of air when the disk is spinning. However, parking the head, and spinning down the drive increase the chances the head will contact the platter.

My original 8TB disks are at 43k hours right now. I expect to run them another 2 years or so. But the second a single one of those 6 disks has a failure, they are ALL getting replaced.
I think this one sat somewhere for a long ass time if I remember.

I mean it does say SATA/300 lol

Thread Info