SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Again, TCG knows everything.

giphy.gif

Here's my build guys! and editing machine - Call it The Beast!
Wall mount open case
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE Has Thunderbolt 3 - transfer rate are insanely fast - One of the best board Out there
i9 10k 5.4 GHz Overclocked
64GB Ram Quad-Channel
Corsair RGB Liquid Cooled

Geforce RTX 3070 Super Clock
DUAL WD BLACK SN850 1TB NVME SSD in a RAID - THE FASTEST SSD IN THE WORLD CURRENTLY
2 8 TB Data Drives
RGB Power Supply

don't mind the clutter smh,
pc 1.jpg

pc9.jpg

shirt back 1.jpg

brave_p07fl9P6yx.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Well, it happened. Idk if my Asus Z97 motherboard or my 4790k died but the past month or so, it's been a bear trying to get the computer to boot. Power on, it will spin all the fans up to 100% and never boot. I could fix it by pulling power, letting it discharge, power on, and it would boot up with an "OC failure" warning. All my BIOS settings stayed the same and it would then boot up at my OC settings (which was just locking the 4790k at 4.4GHz regardless of what it was doing). Then it would be fine for a couple days. Rinse repeat at least once or twice a week.

Today, it wouldn't boot up. At all. Pulled power, discharged, nothing. Pulled everything out including RAM, the LED code went 10-14-74 and then just sits at 74. Put RAM in, same thing in. One stick at a time, same thing.

So, now I have a 5600X, B550-A Pro, and 16GB of G.Skill 3600CL16 B-die. :dunno: Guess we'll see how much "freer" the 2070 Super can breath with this processor.

Reactions: Fish

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The biggest difference is gonna the loss of the micro stutters in games. The sheer increase in memory bandwidth and the single threaded speed is gonna make loading game world assets onto the GPU so much faster.

Everything for sure got faster with my 4790k to 5800x upgrade, but the disappearance of micro-stutters really helped improve things.

Aka, when docking the Seamoth in the Moonpool bay in Subnautica. With the 4790k the fps would pause for like a 1/4 of a second.

Though the 5600x is basically twice as fast as the 4790k. big improvement in single core speeds, and the extra 2 cores really help out too.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Something is not allowing my monitor to go to sleep, and it just started happening within the last few days and its quite annoying. It's also disrupting my screen saver every so often as well, and I cant figure out what the hell it is. The only change I've made recently is adding a usb bluetooth dongle so I can wirelessly connect my xbox controller. I tried unplugging that, nope. It doesnt look like anything is making any power requests, it's not showing any wake events, and the only things that could wake the system are my keyboard and mouse. I unplugged the wireless usb dongle for those as well. Nope

1628401953007.png

Did a malware/spybot scan as well, all clean there. This is not a huge thing, but it's really pissing me off :LOL:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, most people here know I'm in IT. I wrote a automated script with intelligence and some fairly complex decision trees that can crawl through our active directory and delete old, legacy objects. I'm actually quite proud of it, but can't post the code here.

It is capable of identifying computer objects as servers, workstations, whether they are physical, virtual, Citrix, etc.

It can also cross-compare across multiple domains to find duplicate objects and discard the zombie, and ties in with our other domains, SCCM, and our Inventory Software via REST API. Does lots of cool shit in the background. And its even multi-threaded. So it can hammer in parallel across domains. It crawls through about 80000 objects in usually 7 minutes or less.

But the coolest thing is the stupidest thing. To prevent stupidity from wiping out our active directory I put in safe-guards. One of those safe-guards is so that you can't target objects younger than a specific relative date. 270 days right now, but we'll eventually get tighter.

If you tried to target objects younger than that, you get error messages. The first message is rather normal. The last 3 get progressively more insulting the further you try and take it.

When you get to the last one, it uses a String array full of insulting quotes from movies. And it picks an insult at random. So you get a random insult to your intelligence.

Code:
Loading personal and system profiles took 565ms.
PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 269 -WhatIf
You selected all objects 269 days and older. Specify 270 days or more.

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 120-WhatIf
Seriously? 120 days and older? Do you like pain?  270 days or older please.

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 60 -WhatIf
60! Do you enjoy Hang Gliding in a hurricane too?!

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 30 -WhatIf
30!!!!!!?  Your Ego is writing checks your body can't cash!

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
So, most people here know I'm in IT. I wrote a automated script with intelligence and some fairly complex decision trees that can crawl through our active directory and delete old, legacy objects. I'm actually quite proud of it, but can't post the code here.

It is capable of identifying computer objects as servers, workstations, whether they are physical, virtual, Citrix, etc.

It can also cross-compare across multiple domains to find duplicate objects and discard the zombie, and ties in with our other domains, SCCM, and our Inventory Software via REST API. Does lots of cool shit in the background. And its even multi-threaded. So it can hammer in parallel across domains. It crawls through about 80000 objects in usually 7 minutes or less.

But the coolest thing is the stupidest thing. To prevent stupidity from wiping out our active directory I put in safe-guards. One of those safe-guards is so that you can't target objects younger than a specific relative date. 270 days right now, but we'll eventually get tighter.

If you tried to target objects younger than that, you get error messages. The first message is rather normal. The last 3 get progressively more insulting the further you try and take it.

When you get to the last one, it uses a String array full of insulting quotes from movies. And it picks an insult at random. So you get a random insult to your intelligence.

Code:
Loading personal and system profiles took 565ms.
PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 269 -WhatIf
You selected all objects 269 days and older. Specify 270 days or more.

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 120-WhatIf
Seriously? 120 days and older? Do you like pain?  270 days or older please.

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 60 -WhatIf
60! Do you enjoy Hang Gliding in a hurricane too?!

PS H:\> Invoke-ADCleanup -DaysInactive 30 -WhatIf
30!!!!!!?  Your Ego is writing checks your body can't cash!

Very cool man. Scripting is a great skill thats taking over in many parts of IT. I'm a network engineer and I also specialize in public DNS, and the best engineers are the ones that can script along with normal skills. Keep it up.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Thats awesome. Once upon a time I might have been on a path that would have lead me down the road you travel, but circumstances saw fit to steer my path in a different direction. Complicated circumstances.

Actually no, it wasnt complicated at all. It was dreamcast and irresistible burger king breakfasts. Mook Mook knows.
College was a blast.

• Haha
Reactions: IDAFC21

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
For me, college was a waste. Felt like I just burned 10's of thousands of dollars on a piece of paper.

I honestly just should have spent that money towards Certificates and gone right into the work place. Since it was still the Wild West as far as IT was concerned. I'd probably be making 50% more right now, and have been looking at retirement in about 8 years.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I can't do the pretty pretty images with my TrueNAS server.

But here is the SSD array made of 6x 256GB SATA SSDs.

Code:
Asgard% dd if=/dev/zero of=test2.file bs=1g count=50
53687091200 bytes transferred in 10.423560 secs (5150552452 bytes/sec)

Asgard% dd if=test2.file of=/dev/null bs=1g
53687091200 bytes transferred in 5.586917 secs (9609430671 bytes/sec)

Asgard% ls -lh test2.file
-rw-r--r--  1 william  home    50G Aug 12 22:21 test2.file
Asgard%

No pretty graphs or charts.

But that's 50GB file written to disk in 10.42 seconds. And the same file read back into memory in 5.6 seconds.

So, the array can do about 4.8GB/s write, and 8.9GB/s read.

And this is with old SATA disks, not new fangled NVMe disks.

• Wow
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Showoff. :LOL:

Much less impressive, this is a samsung 980 3.0 I recently bought and plugged into an external enclosure for backup purposes. Its plugged into my gen 3.2 usb-c port on the back of my mobo, which is pretty much the fastest port I have at the moment. Methinks it may have been a bit overkill to go w/ this drive. :LOL:

1628825533799.png

I don't has thunderbolt. But I do think my mobo has a TB3 header on it

Thread Info