tenor.gif

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, Nvidia is working on an ARM based CPU for performance gaming.

I'd laugh, except, all of the Apple M1 benchmarks + my own experience with how the M1 works tells me that its not a joke any more.

I'm a fan of the Big+Little design, have been since they announced it, but ARM was the only design that makes use of BigLittle.

Not so much in a a desktop, but for laptops where you could take advantage of lower power usage.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, the power bill is definitely going to go down!

Thing only uses 15w at full load lol. I'm surprised I can't power it with a USB-C dock. I guess they didn't include that feature, but it would make it pretty sweet if I could power it via a Thunderbolt Dock.

The IO is limited, but I have a USB-C dock so I can expand that easy enough. Gives me enough 3 USB-A ports, and 2 USB-C ports.

Did okay with Cinebench R23.
Multi-threadedCinebench R23 (ST)
Old 4790k5078 pts1075 pts
New Ryzen 5800x15053 pts1603 pts
Apple M1 Mini7770 pts1509 pts

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So, the power bill is definitely going to go down!

Thing only uses 15w at full load lol. I'm surprised I can't power it with a USB-C dock. I guess they didn't include that feature, but it would make it pretty sweet if I could power it via a Thunderbolt Dock.

The IO is limited, but I have a USB-C dock so I can expand that easy enough. Gives me enough 3 USB-A ports, and 2 USB-C ports.

Did okay with Cinebench R23.
Multi-threadedCinebench R23 (ST)
Old 4790k5078 pts1075 pts
New Ryzen 5800x15053 pts1603 pts
Apple M1 Mini7770 pts1509 pts
You keep posting things like this and I’m going to have buy one!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You keep posting things like this and I’m going to have buy one!
Well this will frustrate you then.

The M1 running emulated x86 through Rosetta soundly beats my old i7-4790k at H264, and ties it in H265.

The M1 running NATIVELY absolutely trashes it. However, there's a trick to those numbers. These are GPU hardware accelerated numbers instead of Pure CPU. It would be more accurate to compare Intel with QuickSync HW encoding vs the Apple M1 Native. I don't have a modern machine capable. Maybe I'll run the benchmark at work with a quicksync enabled 9th gen intel.

Handbrake doesn't actually have a native CPU only encoder for the M1. Its either Emulated x86, or HW Accelerated GPU. Apparently H264 vs H265 makes no difference.

And NVEnc is just no fair to ANY of them since its HW accelerated encoding is 3x faster than the M1 can hope to achieve. That said. The M1 might yet support external GPU options in the future.

The M1 chip in my Mini is the SAME chip that's in the iPad Pro, the M1 Air, MacBook Pro 13", and iMac (tier 2 model with 4 TB4 ports)

H264 (Fast)H265 (Fast)
Old 4790k34 fps21 fps
New Ryzen 5800x99 fps58 fps
Apple M1 Mini (Rosetta Emulation)44 fps20 fps
Apple M1 Native168 fps174 fps

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Well this will frustrate you then.

The M1 running emulated x86 through Rosetta soundly beats my old i7-4790k at H264, and ties it in H265.

The M1 running NATIVELY absolutely trashes it. However, there's a trick to those numbers. These are GPU hardware accelerated numbers instead of Pure CPU. It would be more accurate to compare Intel with QuickSync HW encoding vs the Apple M1 Native. I don't have a modern machine capable. Maybe I'll run the benchmark at work with a quicksync enabled 9th gen intel.

Handbrake doesn't actually have a native CPU only encoder for the M1. Its either Emulated x86, or HW Accelerated GPU. Apparently H264 vs H265 makes no difference.

And NVEnc is just no fair to ANY of them since its HW accelerated encoding is 3x faster than the M1 can hope to achieve. That said. The M1 might yet support external GPU options in the future.

The M1 chip in my Mini is the SAME chip that's in the iPad Pro, the M1 Air, MacBook Pro 13", and iMac (tier 2 model with 4 TB4 ports)

H264 (Fast)H265 (Fast)
Old 4790k34 fps21 fps
New Ryzen 5800x99 fps58 fps
Apple M1 Mini (Rosetta Emulation)44 fps20 fps
Apple M1 Native168 fps174 fps
YOU’RE NOT HELPING!!!!! ?

I’ll have to go back through the posts to see which NVMe and enclosure(s) you recommended with the correct chipset for max transfer speeds.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
RE: NVMe drives. I did the same thing Bill mentioned about the Dell techs. I went to swap a user out after they broke their brand new (but out of warranty) laptop into an exact one I had laying around. I couldn't find the god damn NVMe drive and thought it was a WIFI card until I realized there were no wires going to an antenna.

2230 vs a typical USB 3.0 stick.

View attachment 94996

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
QUICK!!! Wonder how long it will take to fix this "loophole"

Also, person in the article complaining they were trying to get something thru the shuffle for "months" with no wins............ took me like a week :LOL: I still check it out every day. Only thing I'm looking for now is an xbox Series X

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
RE: NVMe drives. I did the same thing Bill mentioned about the Dell techs. I went to swap a user out after they broke their brand new (but out of warranty) laptop into an exact one I had laying around. I couldn't find the god damn NVMe drive and thought it was a WIFI card until I realized there were no wires going to an antenna.

2230 vs a typical USB 3.0 stick.

View attachment 94996

My MSI laptop uses one of those little shits. I wanted to upgrade the storage on it, but its stupid expensive. So I guess the 250 will stay and Ill upgrade the 2.5 storage drive.

Who am I kidding? I barely use the thing. :rofl: Hard to use a laptop when an 18 month old wants you to put it on the ground so she can slap the keyboard around while planting her ass on the hinge.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
And upgrade complete. Really Loving the center Taskbar icons. Not that center taskbar can't be done with third-party tools on Win10. Kind of wish it was fully transparent, ala Dock Style the way OSX and Linux have adopted. It makes more sense.

The animations are nice, they were a bit choppy at times on the SurfacePro 4. But should run perfectly smooth on modern computers. I'm sure it also helps that I'm running at 240hz, so all the animations are at 240fps.

I love the new Docking animation for when you are snapping windows to a border. That's a nice touch. Instead of an outline, you get a blur. Lots of little UI tweaks that are either nice to look at, or just plain useful.

Also, the Auto-HDR feature is nice. It "Upscales" SDR to HDR in games. Some games don't quite come out right, so you would have to disable it for some. But Subnautica worked nicely for the most part. I did find the skybox clouds a bit overexposed.

All in all, found nothing I don't like yet. No deal breakers for me.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I like how much cleaner the desktop is.

51335339553_339314efdb_o.png

Is it pretty stable though? Any issues gaming?
So far perfectly stable. I made the move to it on my SurfacePro 4 first, which I don't care if I wipe out. And it has been 100% stable there. Then again, its a Surface Pro 4, so MS should have all the drivers it needs and access to every inch of its specs to ensure its stable.

The center taskbar is what probably makes me happiest, because with the 49" Ultra-Wide, I have to turn my head all the way to the left to see the Start Menu lol.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Were you able to do an upgrade (that kept all your apps installed) or did you do a fresh install
Yep. Keeps everything. But you only have 10 days to undo it if you decide to go back.

You need to register for a Microsoft Insider account. Then you need to enable Dev mode, and go to the Settings > Insider Program. You log in with insider credentials and you have 3 choices. Dev, Fast Ring, and Slow Ring. Slow Ring is basically patches a week before everyone else gets them. Fast ring is the next version of Windows 10. And Dev is the one that will upgrade you to Windows 11.

You can always roll back too, but only within 10 days. Otherwise its a Reinstall.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Says my PC doesn't meet min requirements, even though it does. The internet says I need to enable secure boot in my bios for compatibility
Yep.

Originally TPM 2.0 was required. I think TPM 1.2 works as well.

And it does require UEFI Boot. So some machines will not be able to go without being converted. If you've never had to convert an MBR disk to GPT. MS has included a tool called MBR2GPT since Windows 10 1709. Works great. I've converted hundreds en-mass, and never seen it fail destructively.

Every time its failed, its failed in phase 1 and never made any changes to the disk. Usually it fails when there is more than 1 recovery partition on the disk, it just stops and doesn't convert.

I usually use the /Validate switch to test before committing.

MBR2GPT /Disk:# /Validate

Then if that's successful:

MBR2GPT /Disk:# /Convert

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thread Info