IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Got a box of stuff!!

r9JCGYq.jpg

Need to get all my affairs in order tonight, probably going to be a long day tomorrow :LOL:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I would've been happy w/ a 3060, but then fate stepped in, and now I'm here :ROFLMAO: If I had actually gotten a 3060 I probably would have just thrown it in my current setup and called it a day. But once I got the 3070 ti I started thinking I was going to need some better components to compliment it. And this ALL started when I got my new damn monitor and then suddenly thought, hmm, this monitor is capable of displaying things that my computer just can't push out :LOL:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Was going back down memory lane tonight thru some of my past builds and came across these pics. This was from my setup I had BEFORE my current one that Im about to replace. I think I had this setup back in......2010 maybe? This is exactly what I saw when I opened the box. Notice anything odd?

RILOZ2F.jpg

Yes. That is in fact the processor OUT of its case and just flying loose in the box :LOL: Upon closer inspection of the processor, I saw this

zMPFI1p.jpg

Mmmm yes bent pins. But, I carefully and painstakingly straightened them back up, installed it into my mobo, and it ran like a champ :LOL: I think that one was some kinda AMD dual core 3ghz processor.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Man, Apple gets shit through customs fast. M1 will be here tomorrow.

07/17/2021
4:39 A.M.
On the Way
Palatine, IL, United States
07/15/2021
12:24 P.M.
Cleared Customs
07/14/2021
1:00 P.M.
Shipped
Shenzhen, China
07/14/2021
11:16 A.M.
Label Created
China
Wow. I didn’t realize it was being shipped from China. Thought they’d be in stock in the US.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Man, Apple gets shit through customs fast. M1 will be here tomorrow.

07/17/2021
4:39 A.M.
On the Way
Palatine, IL, United States
07/15/2021
12:24 P.M.
Cleared Customs
07/14/2021
1:00 P.M.
Shipped
Shenzhen, China
07/14/2021
11:16 A.M.
Label Created
China

Yes but I've had Fedex hold apple packages from me until the estimated date of delivery listed on the apple site even though the package was at my local fedex distribution center available to deliver. They refused to deliver it ahead of the apple estimated delivery date that apple gave me. They do this in the case of new products that are not supposed to come out until a certain date, but may have made it early. But they did this to me with my last macbook pro that was already out for several months, holding it for an extra three days before they would deliver it. Fucking fedex bullshit. Hope they dont do that to you.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Wow. I didn’t realize it was being shipped from China. Thought they’d be in stock in the US.

Only the base spec machines are in stock in the US. Anything outside their base spec if you decide to upgrade ssd or ram or anything, then it comes custom from china. Apple does not stock any custom configs.

• Sad
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
USB-C 3.1 G2 10Gbits with an NVMe (any of them, even the cheap ones) in an enclosure that uses the RTL9210B USB Bridge chip.

The RTL9210 is key because it supports low power modes properly. Because it supports low power modes, the SSD runs much cooler and doesn't require any sort of active cooling. With the other chips you either need good thermal pads to transfer heat away, or active cooling as the interface can get unstable. I've seen it happen.

I love the Plugable enclosure, easy, tool-less, and feels solid like the slider latch will never break. Closes with a satisfying click.

Doesn't matter what NVMe you stick in there, you'll be limited by USB-C's 10Gbs, and random I/O will suffer. But its STILL the fastest external storage out there without getting into a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, which are much more expensive.

Samsung 970 EVO 256GB NVMe in Shinestar USB 3.1G2.PNG

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
USB-C 3.1 G2 10Gbits with an NVMe (any of them, even the cheap ones) in an enclosure that uses the RTL9210B USB Bridge chip.

The RTL9210 is key because it supports low power modes properly. Because it supports low power modes, the SSD runs much cooler and doesn't require any sort of active cooling. With the other chips you either need good thermal pads to transfer heat away, or active cooling as the interface can get unstable. I've seen it happen.

I love the Plugable enclosure, easy, tool-less, and feels solid like the slider latch will never break. Closes with a satisfying click.

Doesn't matter what NVMe you stick in there, you'll be limited by USB-C's 10Gbs, and random I/O will suffer. But its STILL the fastest external storage out there without getting into a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, which are much more expensive.

View attachment 94685
Fucking TCGKnowsEverything.

Thank you very much Will.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm using Norton 360. Figured work uses Symantec products, so why not? Also, needed a fair amount of licenses, for all the devices, plus my mom's and dad's, and Symantec had a 10 license pack for like $35, and came with VPN. Not that I exactly trust a VPN from an internet security company, but better than nothing, and the speeds are quite good.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Oh my god. Well I got my old shit pulled out of my case today and my new shit swapped in, that all went fine. but then the fun began. Got my clean install of windows done, got in, but then I had a couple issues. For one, the system kept oddly hanging every few seconds, just for a sec. Not freezing up. But it was like something was going on in the background. 2nd, I had SOME internet.........but not all of it. some sites would load, google would load, I could do searches, I could frickin go to youtube and this site and it was fine. But for example if i searched out Avast and tried to go there, or even if I tried to go to Amazon, it wouldnt load. More on that in a bit.

I was getting a ton of PCI errors in my device manager, so to start, I downloaded the latest bios update for my mobo, because the version I had was apparently back from december of 2020, so I updated that, then I went to AMD and downloaded all the newest drivers for the AMD chipset, got those installed, and that seemed to clear up my hanging issue.

The internet was still a mystery. I did update the LAN driver w/ the latest one for my board, which didn't seem to do much. Eventually I tracked it down to my IPv6 was getting a connection, but my IPv4 wasnt. So I started going down that rabbit hole, tried a couple "fixes" that didnt work. And then. I thought let me take a look in my router.

tenor.gif

I have my router set to block all new devices from connecting, but I ALWAYS forget that it extends to WIRED devices also. I always think it just applies to wireless devices. Looked in there....oh hey, heres a blocked device! Unblocked it....instant full internet. It's just the fact I DID have internet and some sites were loading perfectly fine was throwing me all off, I just didnt think of it.

Guess tomorrow I can start reloading all my programs :LOL: At least all the hardware is working. Hopefully at some point I'll put up some pics.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well I think I'm about 90% there with getting everything set back up. Reloaded a bunch of programs this morning, and got all my pictures/music/etc transferred back over from my external backup. Havent loaded steam back in yet or tried any games yet, but that will come. Still tweaking things and monitoring temps under "normal" load to make sure theres nothing going on.

Here's all my old crap pulled out and my new mobo (left) next to my old mobo) right. Hadnt put the heat shield back on the nvme yet

ivhnmep.jpg

PEGzu7O.jpg

I cant believe this is a hard drive now :LOL:

Vyd9aIv.jpg

My old 970 next to my new 3070ti

v4MRR5e.jpg

When I was reassembling everything, I decided I'm finally ready to let go of my bluray drive :LOL: so I left it out for less clutter. When I pulled the AIO out I gave the radiator a little shake and there has been some evaporation, but it seemed minimal. I was also going to try and reposition my AIO radiator to the top of the case, because in doing some research throughout this whole process, I discovered I PROBABLY had the radiator mounted in the worst way possible. With the hoses at the top, and mounted BELOW the pump......oops.... ?

(old pic)

cOxmkqU.jpg

SO, when I did a test fit to the top of the case, all seemed well, but then once I put the fans on, it interfered w/ the ram :run: so the top was a no go. So back to the front it went, but this time I've flipped it around so the inlet/outlets are at the bottom, and I mounted it up as high as i could since I dont have the bluray drive in the way anymore, but that also meant I had to mount the fans on the back of the radiator to pull air thru instead of in the front to push air thru. I could still add at least one fan in front to help push air thru in the future if I need to, so we'll see what happens.

But everything together!

cIa5y0M.jpg

All powered up!

Urp9guk.jpg

Unicorn puke mode, engage! :ROFLMAO:

QQxYCXk.jpg

Here's to the next 8-10 years before I do this again!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, you'd think MS would make it easy to migrate from one Windows computer to another. Or backup your shit, and restore it to a different computer..etc.

NOPE. There are apps that can do it, even native built in apps. (USMT from the Windows AIK) But they are all command line level stuff. MS doesn't provide a front end for them at all. You can google USMT Front End Powershell and find ones people have posted for free.

Me, I wrote my own front-end for work and everyone loves it. Simple, easy, FAST. But its specifically written to not work with local accounts, only domain accounts.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If you think a M2 2280 SSD is small, look at the 2230 SSDs lol.

So the 2280 stands for 22mm wide, by 80mm long.

So a 2230 is 22mm wide, by 30mm long. The 2230 is fucking tiny. I had a tech tell me they couldn't find the HD in one our new Dell Laptops.

They were mistaking the 2230 SSD for a WiFi card lol.

1626646532160.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The new M1 Mini is here!

got it at work. Loaded my time machine backup.

So, from box to fully migrated (all data, iTunes, photos..blah, blah) 10 minutes.

10 freaking minutes. Apple made this so easy.

And DAMN look at that 1TB SSD go.

View attachment 94822
How was the Time Machine backup pulled over (ethernet, USB, etc)? Was it from the same level of MacOS? Asking cause if I go from an older MacOS (10.14?) to the newest wasn't sure what would happen, aside from half my application not working.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Also, I know its a brand new machine and all.

But its seriously, insanely snappy. My work MacBook Pro is about 3 months old on its current image. I usually wipe it out once a year and start with a fresh OS. But its crazy fast at opening windows, preferences, apps...etc.

Some of it is probably "new computer durrr hurrr!"

Some of its is probably measurable due tot he fact that the memory is integrated into the SOC, so the latency is MUCH reduced.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Thread Info