đź’» Post your computer setup

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, after much searching, it turns out Apple won't allow the MacPro 2013 to run 5120x1440 @ 60hz or more over TB2 despite the built in GPU being capable of it, and that Thunderbolt 2 also has plenty of bandwidth for it.

Why? Some have traced the root cause to the way Apple implemented Audio thru DP connections.

New M1 based Apples are having the same issues, despite 5120x1440 requiring less bandwidth than 4k @ 60hz.

This leaves me with an option that frankly is unappealing. I can use the Side by Side to logically split the monitor into two separate 2560x1440 monitors. I can drive each side with a single cable.

I'm using 1x DP 1.4 cable for my Gaming PC. This leaves with the 2nd DP input for one side, and a HDMI for the other side.

But to switch back and forth will probably more trickery than just switching inputs.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Hooked up the Windows 11 Surface Pro 4 to the new display. No problems running dual monitor using the SP4's built in display, in addition to the G9 at full 5k.

CPU is a bit weak, but it is a supremely mobile i7 from 2015, a dual core i7-6650u. So its not really what should ever be called an "i7" by any stretch. Sometimes the UI bogs down, but it does that even without the external display connected.

Playing around with Windows 11 is kind of fun. The GUI is much improved, and while normally the center task bar is not much of a change, on this giant ass 49" wide monitor its VERY appreciated. Allows me to keep my focus in the middle of the giant as fuck screen.

The CPU struggles with things like video playback though. Sometimes YouTube videos are choppy. The thing is just too old to really be useful, but its a bit shocking just how capable it still is, even when driving this big ass display.

Even now, just typing this post, and playing a video in Plex with HW Decoding enabled is sucking up 100% of the CPU.

View attachment 93720
Quoted my previous post.

So, here is a screen shot of my Gaming PC playing the same video. That's a 4 minute average. Only about 7% utilization where as the Surface maxed out.

1625444178537.png

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
So I'm pretty late to the Newegg Shuffle game, but I'll dip my toe in and see what happens. Put in for an MSI RTX 3060 OC 3X for $509 today. Still kinda pricey for what it is, but still better than anything else right now :LOL:

Didn't get selected tho. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm not even sure I can fit a 3 fan card in my case, but I'll take whatever I can get right now thats not $1k

Reactions: Maro

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
So I'm likely going to do a new build in the coming month. I acquired a 3080ti and my 6700k is a clear bottleneck. I'm between the 5800x and 11700k, leaning 5800x since it seems to top the intel in everything.

Anyone running ryzen 5000? what's ideal memory speed for these. I know they like fast RAM

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I hate this thread. Why am I looking at processors and motherboards now?

Im just educating myself. Thats all.

Nothing more.

5600x, MSI B550A-Pro, 32GB G.SKill Trident Z Neo. ~$600 for a total system rebuild utilizing my existing case, GPU, PSU, etc, etc.

The desire grows.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I hate this thread. Why am I looking at processors and motherboards now?

Im just educating myself. Thats all.

Nothing more.

I was doing that for awhile, but my current living situation doesnt even let me use the PC I have so it just sits. Ill for sure want to refresh once we are settled in a place. Is it sad that the last few years have seen big jumps that I think my R5 2600 is a pile now? :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I’m still rocking an i7-4770k with GeForce 650 Ti 1GB. Does everything I need it to, but that doesn’t exactly include games, lol.

I mean......my computer does what it needs to do and can run games pretty good.

But its not new or faster.

We could all just be driving Civics. They get us to work just as well as our cars.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I mean......my computer does what it needs to do and can run games pretty good.

But its not new or faster.

We could all just be driving Civics. They get us to work just as well as our cars.
I'd like to be able to go to NVMe storage, but that means new MB, CPU, Memory, etc. At that point, short of the case (maybe) and PSU, I'm looking at a total new build. So I keep putting it off.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'd like to be able to go to NVMe storage, but that means new MB, CPU, Memory, etc. At that point, short of the case (maybe) and PSU, I'm looking at a total new build. So I keep putting it off.

I hear that. I wanted to see when we move and possibly either do a 5600X build, or a 5700G build with a X570, but then I think, Ill just get a 3700X with my X470 and be ok. Then I think AMD is rumored to be going to DDR5 and new socket next gen so Ill just wait.

Too many options.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thread Info