💬 OT ðŸ’» Post your computer setup

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Mine pales in comparison to some of the rigs on here, but I tarted it up this week so it looks fancy

173078E2-1F70-4E29-9200-651FEB38C272.jpeg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I swear, some days I think people look at me like Neo from the Matrix.

Manager complained about a problem today. Someone screwed up a manual Google Sheet a long time ago. They re-sorted only one of the columns disassociating it from the others and rendering the whole thing trash. And its been so long they can't find the revision history where it was changed. They only discovered this when they wanted to import that sheet into a SQL database and discontinue the sheet.

They asked us to manually unFuck the sheet by recreating each entry so they could import the sheet. I came back with a "WTF why so stupid??" when we can just extract the data from the machines via SCCM Task sequence and a Powershell script.

The response was:

1 hour later, rough script written and tested. Needs polishing before we fire it for reals at the entire environment. At the start, I only knew it was possible for Powershell to import data directly into SQL, but had never actually written a script that did it. These people must look at me like I'm Neo. Even though all it required was the knowledge that it was possible, and Microsofts KB on the cmdlet with some trial and error.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Ah if people knew how much SQL and scripting is so much of "try this, nope, try this, nope, try this, nope, try this, ah there it is" they would think we are idiots shooting in the dark :rofl:

Thats how I feel a lot of my scripting goes. I get it 90% right on the first try, and it usually works in a test environment. Then I spend time writing in some intellegence to handle unexpected situations and stupidity from people executing the script.

Sometimes they are short and sweet one liners.

Sometimes they are monsters 1000 line+ scripts that do some crazy complex things and ask myself, "How the hell did I write THAT and have it WORK?!" And if I didn't leave comments in the script for myself I'd forget what half of it does.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i was hoping it would keep finger prints off more than protecting from scratches. my 2XL screen is a finger print magnet
i was hoping it would create a stronger thin layer equivilant to a glass screen protector. Like an instant double layer of protection for the screen. Sadly, they use a different hardness scale as they talk about in the video, so it doesnt do anything more then standard gorilla glass

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'm terribly waffling on picking up a gaming laptop as I know the Ryzen 4xxx series is literally around the corner as well as nVidias new cards getting closer and closer.

I know I'll be building a Ryzen desktop once the Zen 3 series gets released but hearing literally nothing about laptops right now bothers me. As soon as I purchase something, the new shit will be announced and released less than a month later. That's just what happens to me.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'm terribly waffling on picking up a gaming laptop as I know the Ryzen 4xxx series is literally around the corner as well as nVidias new cards getting closer and closer.

I know I'll be building a Ryzen desktop once the desktop Zen 3 series gets released but hearing literally nothing about laptops right now bothers me. As soon as I purchase something, the new shit will be announced and released less than a month later. That's just what happens to me.
The Ryzen 4000 series could be impressive. I'm expecting more of a evolutionary improvement than a revolutionary improvement.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

I know I'll be building a Ryzen desktop once the desktop Zen 3 series gets released but hearing literally nothing about laptops right now bothers me. As soon as I purchase something, the new shit will be announced and released less than a month later. That's just what happens to me.
loving mine, other then battery life. i7 with 1060, does everything I need.

there will always be new shit, just dont pay full price and get a deal.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
loving mine, other then battery life. i7 with 1060, does everything I need.

there will always be new shit, just dont pay full price and get a deal.

The MSI GS65 Stealth is the one I keep throwing in my cart and waffling. 9750H,1660Ti (NON MaxQ bullshit), 16GB RAM, and 512GB NVMe and an additional slot available. On ebay right now for $1099, normally 1699.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
if you are like me, I am sure the current one you have is 4-5 years because "just waiting for the new stuff", then 2 more years go by :rofl:

My desktop is for sure getting an upgrade once Zen3 comes out. I'm still rocking my 4790k with a 2070 super but I can tell the processor itself starts to struggle with more and more newer stuff. I bought a 3700x on Black Friday but ended up running into mobo issues so I returned everything. Ryzen was a huge difference in performance over the 4790k. Zen3 should be even more impressive.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The MSI GS65 Stealth is the one I keep throwing in my cart and waffling. 9750H,1660Ti (NON MaxQ bullshit), 16GB RAM, and 512GB NVMe and an additional slot available. On ebay right now for $1099, normally 1699.
My 16" MacBook Pro has the 9750H CPU. Compares very nicely against a standard 9700 Desktop CPU in Handbrake/Blender/etc...

My desktop is for sure getting an upgrade once Zen3 comes out. I'm still rocking my 4790k with a 2070 super but I can tell the processor itself starts to struggle with more and more newer stuff. I bought a 3700x on Black Friday but ended up running into mobo issues so I returned everything. Ryzen was a huge difference in performance over the 4790k. Zen3 should be even more impressive.

Damn, Yeah, my 4790k (both of them) are definitely getting up there.

Really want a 3950x for the Gaming PC since it also does work with Transcoding. But if I put a 3950x into the Plex Server, I could run a VM off that easily. And then I could just put a 3800x into the Gaming PC.

However, I might end up waiting for Zen3, and buying discounted Zen2 stuff since I think Zen3 will be minor improvements over Zen2.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
yeah ryzen really changed the game, for the better.

in a couple years ill probably even retire my server hardware and go ryzen for power vs performance. its crazy how efficient the new stuff is.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
However, I might end up waiting for Zen3, and buying discounted Zen2 stuff since I think Zen3 will be minor improvements over Zen2.

Well this is what the big deal with Zen3 over Zen2 is all about. AMD is saying they've gotten some (with a grain of salt) "amazing" IPC improvements over Zen2. Zen2 itself was a huge improvement over their initial launch so I could see 3 being another good jump up.

Either way, AMD is definitely back in the CPU arena and if you look at sales from youtube/market expert affiliaition sales, AMD is destroying it right now. Hopefully Epyc will put Intel in their place server-side as well and it's looking super promising right now.

Their GPUs on the other hand... :unsure:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Really AMD has sucked at GPU's since they bought out ATi. ATi used to trade blows with Nvidia regularly. But ever since AMD bought them out, the offerings have been lack luster compared to Nvidia's.

The reason AMD bought ATi out was for the graphics components they wanted to build into their APU lines. Which admitently are good. The Ryzen APU's are pretty powerful.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
okay starting to rebuild my old AMD 8350 PC that just completey crapped out a year ago. Going to do a budget build and the fist part has arrived.. AMD Ryzen 5 1600 "AF". also have a MoBo, 16Gb Ram, and 500gb SSD. I already have a case, PSU, old ass GPU GTX 660TI just to get it up and running for the time being. Afterwards will look into a GPU probably a 1660 Super or all in and get a 2080. Dunno yet.

image.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
New Ryzen 4000 APUs are absolutely shredding the mobile performance market, according to benchmarks of the just released laptop.

A blurb:

There are other brutal results in this Cinebench chart. The 4900HS crushes the Core i7-9750H, which is the most popular CPU used in slim and light gaming notebooks. Zen 2 offering is over 60% faster in the MT test. We also see the previous-gen AMD part get a bit humiliated, the 4900HS is so much faster than the Ryzen 7 3750H in the same power envelope it’s not funny.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
New Ryzen 4000 APUs are absolutely shredding the mobile performance market, according to benchmarks of the just released laptop.

A blurb:
It destroys my 4790k in CPU performance. Nice.

Thread Info