đź’» Post your computer setup

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Not sure how I feel about an ultrawide. Still debating on my monitor setup, but currently looking at using a quad monitors. My computer setup will primarily be used for day trading as my laptop is struggling with Etrade Pro (only using 2 charts instead of 4 to lower cpu usage) and several tabs opened in FireFox. I'm a visual person when it comes to trading.

So trading first, then gaming second (not too much of a PC player, but wouldn't mind getting a little more involved in it). If I see something I like, then I may go for it, but was originally thinking of quad monitors, and later on down the road, a 5th widescreen monitor positioned vertically for detailed information regarding my stocks, level 2 data, ect. Maybe an ultrawide would be better with a secondary monitor off to the side for the extra data, but who knows. First thing first is the need to build the computer. With that, I will start shopping around for the parts.

Also, for your plebians. Is the 3080ti worth the price difference compared to the non-ti?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The 3080ti is basically a 3090 with half the ram, and a few less CUDA cores. A steal compared to a 3090. But compared to a 3080, the price jump isn't that great, especially in this market.

As for 32:9 Ultra-wide life? Avoid the Samsung G9 Neo for now. It sounds epic on paper. But there are some SERIOUS teething issues going on right now and Samsung has yet to address it. NONE of the reviews mention it. But just search for Samsung G9 Scanline problems. Its most prevalent in 240hz mode where 10bit and DisplayPort DSC come into play. Samsung has been shit with firmware updates, and it looks like its more of a design issue than a firmware issue.

Reactions: importcrew

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
The 3080ti is basically a 3090 with half the ram, and a few less CUDA cores. A steal compared to a 3090. But compared to a 3080, the price jump isn't that great, especially in this market.

As for 32:9 Ultra-wide life? Avoid the Samsung G9 Neo for now. It sounds epic on paper. But there are some SERIOUS teething issues going on right now and Samsung has yet to address it. NONE of the reviews mention it. But just search for Samsung G9 Scanline problems. Its most prevalent in 240hz mode where 10bit and DisplayPort DSC come into play. Samsung has been shit with firmware updates, and it looks like its more of a design issue than a firmware issue.
I'll just stick with the 3080. Was debating the ti but will just do what I originally planned unless I somehow luckily stumble upon a 3090 at msrp ( :rofl: )

I can always upgrade later down the road. Will start purchasing components tomorrow as I ran out of time going over my list. Most likely changing the mobo and instead will most likely end up getting the ROG Xiii Maximus instead.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
nah ultrawides suck

Nay, they dont. At least for productivity and stuff. When I was tapped for our control room last year, they had one station with 2 32 inch ultrawides and the rest just had 1. I used the 1 for awhile and then used the station with 2 one time and never looked back. I now must have at least one ultrawide for my home setup when I get it done. Probably in April. :roflpicard:

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Well, here are some results on UserBenchmark.com

I got lucky when I went to Microcenter yesterday. I had ordered my Rog Strix Helios tower off Amazon and it didn't get delivered when it was supposed to. Saw that Microcenter had it in stock and took the hour drive there with my brother in law. He happened to see a 3080Ti in stock for $1600 (+\-). So I jumped on it. I also bought Lian Li Uni Fans but the wire exploded after turning the computer on. I believe my brother-in-law connected it wrong. So I will replace those and install them. Currently just using the NZXT fans that came with the cooler.

UserBenchmarks: Game 266%, Desk 118%, Work 261%
CPU: Intel Core i9-11900K - 117.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080-Ti - 234.1%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 366%
RAM: Corsair CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB - 125.1%
MBD: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO

Reactions: Maro

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Ran into an issue with the rtx card. :angrys00ls:

Black screened. Restarting the computer doesn't fix it. Restarting then pressing the F key into bios then exiting works temporarily but then black screens after a few minutes. The Q Code on the motherboard indicates an output issue. Looking it up online, doesn't seem uncommon. People have been complaining about it. Contacted the manufacturer and requested an RMA number. Just bought it and sending it out to be replaced. What a joke. I chose RMA instead of store return since it'd be my best chance on getting another card instead of rolling the dice on whether or not I'll get another card soon. Here, I'm guaranteed a card but it's a matter of timing.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I have a 3080ti myself. You can sell your 3060ti for $900-1000 in todays market FYI.

A bit of wheeling and dealing.. and mining crypto is how I ended up with a 3080ti and a PS5 for free ;)
syP syP what program are you running for mining? I just started running NiceHash last night and it’s been fluctuating between making low $4 to upper $7 per day. I know this isn’t actual mining and just miners using my PC for hashing power.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
So..... I need your all of your expertise TCG computer experts.

My setup is as follows:

Asus ROG Strix Helios case
Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero mobo
Msi Geforce RTX 3080ti Ventus 3x Oc
Corsair Vengeance Pro SL (2x16gb) DDR 4 3600
Corsair RM850x power supply
intel i9 11900k cpu
Samsung 980 Pro 1tb Nvme
NZXT Kraken z73 AIO
Lian Li SL120 Uni Fan

So I had my brother in law help me (he practically did it all) since he was itching to put it together. However, I have been having issues. First I my GPU would black screen. I've changed settings in Bios, updated drivers, and it would work for a few minutes, if that, then black screen. Eventually it would work and when I did a stress test, it black screened again. I swapped it out and put a Gefore GTX 1070 in and that ran without issues. Did a few benchmarks and a stress test and it worked like a charm.
So I RMA'd the 3080 and sent it to Msi under warranty.

Next issue was when my brother in law connected the Lian Li fans to the radiator, and ran it to the Lian Li hub, he powered on the computer and one of the wires literally exploded. Lol. :eek: My guess is he connected it to the wrong pins on the motherboard and it ran to much power. So I ordered another set.

Last issue I am currently having is the NZXT Kraken AIO. We connected it, and it would show me the cooler temps on the display. However, looking at the program on the pc, the Kraken doesn't show up and it's not recognized by the pc. So I uninstalled the program and every file (temporary or not) and tried different usb headers. When powering on the computer, the mobo ran a Q Code 40 (waking up from a deep state). So although that isn't bad, I didn't have that code before as the code I had was A0 (everything being fine). Next thing you know, the pump would turn on/off repeatedly until it just stayed off. Of course I immediately turned off the pc and tried another header. Same thing. Connecting it back to the original header my brother in law had it in, would give me the A0 code again, and the pump would work a little longer but stopped displaying the temp. After a minute or so, the pump would do the same thing (on/off repeatedly). So now I believe the pump is dead and requested a new one (comes in tomorrow).

My question is.....who can help me? Lol. I haven't built a pc since the mid/late 90's area when VooDoo graphics cards were a big thing. Back in the earlier Pentium days. I have never built a computer in recent times and appearantly my brother in law has made some mistakes. So before connecting the new Lian Li fans, and the Kraken z73 AIO again when that comes in, I want to make sure everything is connected properly and on the right headers. Can anybody help me? Anybody here familiar with the Maximus XIII Hero motherboards and the Kraken AIO?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
For the AIO that motherboard should have a fan header labelled "pump" on the board, connect the 4 pin to that. I assume it also has a connector that goes to a USB header? Both are connected properly right?
The main power cable is the one that's supposed to connect to the AIO/Pump header. However, it was originally connected to a USB header instead. It would work and display the cooler temp but it wasn't recognized by the computer. Everything was working (pump, display, fans). However, to try to have the computer recognize the AIO, I powered everything off and connected the cable to the header that was actually labeled AIO/Pump. But doing so, the pump would turn on/off repeatedly before turning off completely.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Your wiring is messed up somewhere. 3 pin out of the pump goes to CPU_Fan or AIO_Pump. Since it's a brand new "modern" mobo, you'll have the AIO pump header and recommended to use that over CPU_Fan. You'll also have to disable CPU fan alarms in the BIOS if it goes unused. USB cable goes to a USB 2.0 header. If you want fans ran off the pump controller, plug them into the daisy-chained headers from the pump. Main power comes from the SATA 2-wire connector you plug into an available SATA power from your PSU.

Reactions: importcrew

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
For the AIO that motherboard should have a fan header labelled "pump" on the board, connect the 4 pin to that. I assume it also has a connector that goes to a USB header? Both are connected properly right?
Your wiring is messed up somewhere. 3 pin out of the pump goes to CPU_Fan or AIO_Pump. Since it's a brand new "modern" mobo, you'll have the AIO pump header and recommended to use that one CPU_Fan. You'll also have to disable CPU fan alarms in the BIOS if it goes unused. USB cable goes to a USB 2.0 header. If you want fans ran off the pump controller, plug them into the daisy-chained headers from the pump. Main power comes from the SATA 2-wire connector you plug into an available SATA power from your PSU.
Yea...it's connected correctly. I think it's just a faulty pump or it was originally connected wrong and maybe messed it up. I unattached every cable from the mobo and cables. I then reconnected it. I connected the header to the usb 2.0 header on the mobo, then connected all the fans on the radiator to the daisy chain cable coming from the pump (3 fans, 3 connectors). I connected the sata cable to an available sata adaptor from the psu. Lastly, I reconnected the pump header to the actual AIO PUMP header on the mobo. Pump came on with that sad smiley looking display. Turning the PC on only made the pump do what it's been doing. On/Off repeatedly.

New Kraken comes today. It can very well be a bad cable. I can see if I can find a micro usb to usb type A and try plugging the pump directly into the usb 2.0 in the back of the pc. If it works, then it might just be the cable and probably got pinched somewhere. If I can't find a cable, I can use the cable from the new one and test that out on this pump and see if it works. That would confirm a faulty cable currently.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
syP syP what program are you running for mining? I just started running NiceHash last night and it’s been fluctuating between making low $4 to upper $7 per day. I know this isn’t actual mining and just miners using my PC for hashing power.

Phoenix Miner. I assume you have the proper OC settings in place? also which card?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Yeah I reduced power limit to 68, -120 core clock and +1250 memory clock. Using a EVGA FTW3 OC 3080.

I’ve now been averaging 94.76 MH/s and pay out has been about $1 every 4 hours.

nice.. that card is capable of over 100 MH/s.. you have to repad it though with better thermal pads as the GDDR6x ram gets very hot and it starts to throttle. that card is worth over $2000 right now since its OG

• Wow
Reactions: RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
nice.. that card is capable of over 100 MH/s.. you have to repad it though with better thermal pads as the GDDR6x ram gets very hot and it starts to throttle. that card is worth over $2000 right now since its OG
That’s crazy. I got it for MSRP back in November and think they’ve raised MSRP since then lol. Yeah will consider repadding it if I stick with this. Currently GPU is at 52°c and VRAM is 92°c. Could certainly run more but didn’t want to push it too hard without repadding.

Anal Oats

Aug 9, 2021
Ryzen 5 3600X
MSI b450 Tomahawk max
Gigabyte RTX2080 Super
RM1000w psu
Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb
Samsung 860 evo 1tb
Two T-force Dark z 16gb kits

20200926_215400.jpg

20200926_221317.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ryzen 5 3600X
MSI b450 Tomahawk max
Gigabyte RTX2080 Super
RM1000w psu
Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb
Samsung 860 evo 1tb
Two T-force Dark z 16gb kits

View attachment 102579

View attachment 102580

The stealth fighter. I can appreciate that.

I need to hook my PC back up, but right now no monitors since I gave them to my oldest to use and dont have a space for it right now. Figure Id get everything updated and maybe see what this 1070 can do for mining. :hs:

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
My 5800x is cooled by a Kraken X53. But, I also have a high airflow case, and its very free flow. It stays under 70c in basically all scenario's. But I'm not overlocking it.
I had the Z73 connected but believe it to be bad. So I requested a replacement. They sent me the x73 instead and I ended up getting a refund (still have to send out both the x73 and the original z73) and I ordered a new z73 instead of waiting around. I saved about $25 doing so as the z73 is cheaper this time around but now I can test it out. Going to try the other cable (breakout cable) and if that's not bad, then swap out the pump and hopefully it works. If not, it might end up being on the mobo side.

Thread Info