💬 OT ðŸ’» Post your computer setup

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It was $159 on Amazon, with coupon $83 shipped. Kind of a no-brainer. My old desk was way too narrow. I was working around my studio monitor setup that was on stands at that time.

View attachment 100424

YUNO Ikea Alex DIY desk?

We need to do something for my wifes desk since we now have way more space and the little $60 desk isnt cutting it anymore.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, I decided to really, REALLY stress the M1 out. I copied a concert locally. The test video for this is Hans Zimmer's concert in Prague. Its a 1080p H264 video with Dolby Atmos and a bit-rate of 35mbit/s average.

I opened a browser, hit the Plex, and started up the concert. for each one, I set the transcode to 720mbit/s 4Mbit. And then I kept repeating it. And it went ON and ON.

Till finally, on the 14th transcode, I finally hit the CPU's limits. It stopped at 13 transcodes.

For reference, the current Intel machine I have to test for work has a i5.-10400, and it gave up the ghost after 3 transcodes, didn't even start the 3rd.

My old 2013 i7-4790k can do 9 transcodes in CPU.

I've never tested the Ryzen (but I think will for laughs). I bet on pure CPU it'll match the M1. I may also enable HW transcoding and see how many the 2080 can do, but I think Nvidia put a limiter on the NVEnc encoder that might limit me to 4.

The M1 is a serious desktop processor. Even if its low power, Apple has built an amazing CPU.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.59.42 PM.png

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Its seriously impressive.

I'm definitely going to install an instance of PMS on my Ryzen 5800x PC and see how far I can push that, both in pure CPU transcode and HW.

But, HW is somewhat easy for Nvidia as you can find out how many are allowed. The RTX 2080 looks like it will allow 27 simultaneous 1080p HW transcodes with the NVEnc engine.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I built this a month or so ago:
AMD 5950x
Gigabyte 3090 Aorus Xtreme
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme
64 gb Tridentz DDR4-3600 cas14
2tb WD SN850
1tb Sabrent Rocket4
Lian-Li O11D XL
EKWB distroplate/pump combo, waterblock, fittings, hard piping, and
2x 360mm EK rads.

it does ok... :p

View attachment 100904
So can that mount sideways? And can it be sideways with the water? Or does it have to be standing upright?

That would be badass to have rack mounted with that front

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
So can that mount sideways? And can it be sideways with the water? Or does it have to be standing upright?

That would be badass to have rack mounted with that front

could be sideways, but most racks (and rackmount equipment) are designed to pull air front to back not side to side. There are racks with integrated water cooling and whatnot though where all the servers are water cooled via a central system.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
could be sideways, but most racks (and rackmount equipment) are designed to pull air front to back not side to side. There are racks with integrated water cooling and whatnot though where all the servers are water cooled via a central system.
Yeah for sure and in an ideal enterprise setup that is necessary.

But with my home rack... More then half of it is empty space, or I could add side venting, or go open air rack to solve those issues. And honestly I bet it would still work fine just because the rack isn't packed to the gills.

It would be 100% for looks, not ideal cooling efficiency. Those front mount water systems are slick looking.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
Yeah for sure and in an ideal enterprise setup that is necessary.

But with my home rack... More then half of it is empty space, or I could add side venting, or go open air rack to solve those issues. And honestly I bet it would still work fine just because the rack isn't packed to the gills.

It would be 100% for looks, not ideal cooling efficiency. Those front mount water systems are slick looking.

neither my basement server rack nor my upstairs AV rack would be suitable for something like that but im sure you could mod the rack to make it work.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, the last few days its been pretty painful to use my monitor at home. The 49" was making my eyeballs bleed with brightness in general.

I had recently done a firmware update, but forgot about that.

So today, after 30 minutes of basically pain when trying to use the monitor I looked at the settings.

The brightness was set at 100%. 100% on a monitor capable of 1000 NITS, and an easily sustained 400nits in SDR means that shit was just BRIGHT.

The firmware flash must have reset brightness to 100%. I lowered it down to 50%. Probably the first monitor I've ever had to lower the brightness on.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have an ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV, rated at 350cd/㎡ (350 nits). In a room with two 6000K T8 LED bulbs (reflective lighting) and a 60W LED lamp with the shades open during the day the brightness is at 25% and it is still more than enough. :D

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Its been awhile since Ive watched one of this mans monotone voice videos, but damn is he smart and shows cool things to use for unraid or just servers in general. Will probably have to do this eventually.

TL/DR or watch, compress all your video files to H.265 and save space on your server/hard drives.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Its been awhile since Ive watched one of this mans monotone voice videos, but damn is he smart and shows cool things to use for unraid or just servers in general. Will probably have to do this eventually.

TL/DR or watch, compress all your video files to H.265 and save space on your server/hard drives.

Oh, lol. I specifically buy lots of space so I don't have to compress my videos. :)

Typically I target 25% file sizes. But I used custom encoding settings which upped the efficiency and quality over standard. So it looked better than the standard "slow" preset, and was smaller than the standard "slow" preset.

The reason its not that way to begin with? The standard slow on my old i7 would encode around 12-15fps.

My settings? I'd be lucky to average 4-7fps on an encode. It would take WEEKS to compress some TV shows.

I got ST:TNG down from 1.5TB to around 400GB (about 25%). And it looked really damned good since I didn't really do a compare before and after.

But the second I did do a compare? Yeah, I went back and re-ripped EVERY disc. And there are ALOT of discs in ST:TNG.

Also, some things do NOT compress well at all. Battlestar Galactica 2003 is an example due to the massive levels of film grain in the show.

I did a test with my 5800x, and the encoding speeds basically tripled. I went from 5 to 15 on the same settings.

NVEnc on my 2080 is 100x faster, but the quality vs file size isn't as good. The final compressed file is sometimes 2x the size of the CPU encoded file while still looking worse.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
So you plebians....I'm about to jump on board the PC train. More so for a day trading rig, but gaming and day trading rigs go hand in hand. With that being said, I'm currently looking at these specs:

ROG Strix z590-E
Intel i9 11900k
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming GPU ( was thinking of the 3080ti, but didn't really see the justification in the extra money compared to the non ti)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB m.2 NVME SSD
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 Gb DDR4- 3600 CL18 (can always add more later if I need more than 32 gigs)
Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold power supply
NZXT Kraken z73 Liquid CPU cooler

I just need to look for a few other things and may change some things up on this list. Definitely looking at what case to get as well. Will also need to get 4 monitors and stand for said monitors.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
So you plebians....I'm about to jump on board the PC train. More so for a day trading rig, but gaming and day trading rigs go hand in hand. With that being said, I'm currently looking at these specs:

ROG Strix z590-E
Intel i9 11900k
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming GPU ( was thinking of the 3080ti, but didn't really see the justification in the extra money compared to the non ti)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB m.2 NVME SSD
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 Gb DDR4- 3600 CL18 (can always add more later if I need more than 32 gigs)
Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold power supply
NZXT Kraken z73 Liquid CPU cooler

I just need to look for a few other things and may change some things up on this list. Definitely looking at what case to get as well. Will also need to get 4 monitors and stand for said monitors.

No need to get 4 monitors, just get one of those G9 49" ultrawides. They are life changing. The rest of your hardware looks awesome.

Thread Info