💬 OT ðŸ’» Post your computer setup

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So today in the world of shit that does not matter anymore I had a fellow tech complain to me when I changed the mis-assigned DVD drive from G: to A:.

His exact words were, "You can't use the A: drive!"

Why? Because this user is going to plug in a USB floppy drive? WTF lol, the drive letter thing should DIE.

Microsoft should KILL it and go to a Root based file system line just about everything else out there. So much easier when its just /mnt/ or /mount/ or /Volumes/

Also, fuck all the programmers who hard code letter based Drive Mappings into their programs for resources from a shared volume.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Migrating one of the disk arrays to a new set of disks today. God I love ZFS. Its moving snapshot history and anything.

Going from a 9 disk set of 4TB drives in RaidZ3, to a 6 disk set of 8TB drives in RaidZ2.

Started it this morning 7:30. Been transferring at a solid 380MB/s. Moving 22TB. New array brings the total storage to 130TB. Plex will have a 128TB room to play in.

[ 382MiB/s] [=====================> ] 57% ETA 4:04:48

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I love the WFH
and
Freshly groomed lawn

20210430_152850.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Can't believe desktops were capable of this kind of experience back in 2002. Its running on an 2002 Dell with a P4 Nvidia 6600, and 512MB of ram.

I ran this OS for a long while with all of these effects. And it didn't slow the machine down a wink. Was responsive as fuck.

And yay, only 43m left.
[ 378MiB/s] [=============================================> ] 92% ETA 0:43:50

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So much room. 88 TB.
Code:
NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
Loki    1.38T   830G   586G        -         -    31%    58%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt
Odin    43.5T  20.5T  23.0T        -         -     0%    47%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt
Frigga  43.6T  18.9T  24.7T        -         -     0%    43%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

However, after parity and looking at actual usable space. A smidge over 30TB available.
Code:
NAME     USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
Frigga  12.6T  15.6T      240K  /mnt/Frigga
Odin    13.7T  14.4T      176K  /mnt/Odin
Loki     663G   433G      153M  /mnt/Loki

• Wow
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Can't believe desktops were capable of this kind of experience back in 2002. Its running on an 2002 Dell with a P4 Nvidia 6600, and 512MB of ram.

I ran this OS for a long while with all of these effects. And it didn't slow the machine down a wink. Was responsive as fuck.

And yay, only 43m left.
[ 378MiB/s] [=============================================> ] 92% ETA 0:43:50

I remember StarDock being the craze with XP. ~2004-05.

Reactions: bikrboy128

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Man, not sure what's going on with the new drives.

When I was cloning the drives, 40c was the hottest. And that was with 8-9hours of constant write activity.

Now that they are in and I'm done, they are idling at 50c hottest. I re-arranged the drives so they weren't stacked on top of each-other in the case, but its the hottest drive only came down to 44c.

This compared with the WD Reds which where the hottest one there is 38c.

6c is a big swing. Gonna let it sit over night and look at the temp logs tomorrow. May have to bump up the drive cage fan speeds.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Smart computer people I need help!!!!

My dell just went to crap, either the board or PSU is fried. I have a 250gb SSD out of that, I want to install this into my other pc. I hate installing apps and tweaking settings.

It’s a windows 7 operating system. I swapped the SSD over but it will not boot as a boot drive. I can access the drive as like a storage but it will not boot.

How can I make this work?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Smart computer people I need help!!!!

My dell just went to crap, either the board or PSU is fried. I have a 250gb SSD out of that, I want to install this into my other pc. I hate installing apps and tweaking settings.

It’s a windows 7 operating system. I swapped the SSD over but it will not boot as a boot drive. I can access the drive as like a storage but it will not boot.

How can I make this work?
reinstall windows but youll still have to reinstall your apps no matter what if the hardware is different. You need to do at least a dirty windows install which should just replace system files which willl get it to boot but not bring back your apps.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Well this sucks.

Was gaming just fine on my HTPC. Had an odd issue where Steam swapped the left/right triggers on the XBO controller. Happens in Subnautica from time to time. and a reboot fixes it. Basically Subnautica doesn' like it when the controller goes to sleep due to idle time. And when steam redetects it, the triggers are swapped.

So I rebooted it.

Failed to boot, system comes up tells me it failed to boot so it reset its own BIOS. WTF Gigabyte. Just because it fails to boot doesn't mean I want my BIOS reset. I want that to be a MANUAL. So all my custom settings are gone.

Reset everything, still won't boot.

Windows now reports an inaccessible boot device stop error. God damnit.

I really didn't feel like re-installing Windows tonight.

I changed a few settings to try and get it to boot, won't boot.

Hell, won't even boot in UEFI mode to the custom WinPE environment I created for recovery. Will boot to it in Legacy though.

Cloning the HD to a WIM file now. Don't feel like replacing the SSD because its mounted on the bottom of the Mobo, which means I have to tear the system apart to replace the drive.

After the clone is complete I'll restore the clone which will rebuild the partitions on the SSD and restore all the shit.

I'm....annoyed.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Yessir, this ones a 7 but as low model as they come so nothin super impressive. Just the convenience of it alone and being able to have everything in one spot sold me fast. Once you get used to the pen the mouse is a waste of time but the keyboard and size is unreal.

Plus bein able to use an amped up phone charger is amazeballs too

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yessir, this ones a 7 but as low model as they come so nothin super impressive. Just the convenience of it alone and being able to have everything in one spot sold me fast. Once you get used to the pen the mouse is a waste of time but the keyboard and size is unreal.

Plus bein able to use an amped up phone charger is amazeballs too
Considering how old the tuning software is for my PCM, this Surface Pro 4 is like a god damned Super Computer.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Thread Info