💬 OT ðŸ’» Post your computer setup

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So for those of you who script here. Who else has these error messages in their stuff?

View attachment 84622
I can't write script, but I can understand that. That's funny. When I get some Python and Javascript knowledge under my belt I need to remember to use something like that message for debugging.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
You know,

Come to think of it.

I should write code into every script I write that checks my employment status. if I'm terminated it Rick Rolls every person who runs the script.

That would be AWESOME to Rick Roll all of IT in my company.
If you did this and can get proof that it "got" at least one person, I'll treat ya sushi for lunch or dinner.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The data migration script is used about 15-20x a day by techs all over the company. :)

For something they said doesn't get used much, it sure does get used plenty.
Proving Desktop Engineers wrong 15-20x a day... priceless.

Please tell me that you can log that into a spreadsheet for when review time comes around again.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
But for reals. Every language implements its lightly differently. But a Try/Catch/Finally is a godsend.

For Powershell, which is what I do most of everything in this is how it looks.

Code:
# Try Catch Block
Try {
     Command 1

Command 2

Command 3
}

Catch {
     Write-Host $error[0]
     EXIT
}

It will try all 3 commands in sequence, and if any of them errors out, it will immediately execute the command in the Catch block. In this case $error[0] is the variable that catches all the errors, and the [0] displays only the LAST error message. Then it exits after writing the error to the screen.

You can add a Finally block so you can use the Catch block to fix known errors before moving onto the next command.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Proving Desktop Engineers wrong 15-20x a day... priceless.

Please tell me that you can log that into a spreadsheet for when review time comes around again.
I mean, think about it.

Its a simple text interface script that allows a tech to migrate all user profiles on a windows machine from computer A to B from anywhere in the company without physically touching either machine. Fully automated. Open script on my own computer. Plug in computer name A as the source, and computer name B as the destination. Or their IP addresses, or a combination of them. And boom. Like magic, Joe BigCock Exec's data has been migrated all without bothering him for access to his computer.

User is at home on VPN, but you have their new laptop in the office? Run the script while they are on VPN and ALL of the data is sent directly to the replacement laptop on your bench. Then you just ship it off to the user at home.

100% silently with no interruption to the user. you just tell them to get on VPN and stay there.

Send only user profiles used in the last 10 days from a machine in New York to a machine in California? Yep, it can do that too. All without a single prompt or notification that bothers the user.

And it runs/logs everything off a central server with AES 256bit encryption using passwords generated by the Tech's computer. Each password is a 128 character randomly generated password using anything you can type on a keyboard.

So even if you get access to the compressed migration data file, without that random password key, its literally 100% junk data. Good luck Everybody Else, that shit ain't gettin decrypted without the key.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I mean, think about it.

Its a simple text interface script that allows a tech to migrate all user profiles on a windows machine from computer A to B from anywhere in the company without physically touching either machine. Fully automated. Open script on my own computer. Plug in computer name A as the source, and computer name B as the destination. Or their IP addresses, or a combination of them. And boom. Like magic, Joe BigCock Exec's data has been migrated all without bothering him for access to his computer.

User is at home on VPN, but you have their new laptop in the office? Run the script while they are on VPN and ALL of the data is sent directly to the replacement laptop on your bench. Then you just ship it off to the user at home.

100% silently with no interruption to the user. you just tell them to get on VPN and stay there.

Send only user profiles used in the last 10 days from a machine in New York to a machine in California? Yep, it can do that too. All without a single prompt or notification that bothers the user.

And it runs/logs everything off a central server with AES 256bit encryption using passwords generated by the Tech's computer. Each password is a 128 character randomly generated password using anything you can type on a keyboard.

So even if you get access to the compressed migration data file, without that random password key, its literally 100% junk data. Good luck Everybody Else, that shit ain't gettin decrypted without the key.
That is some serious creative genius. DE has to be pissed they didn't come up with something so elegant. Talk about stealing their thunder.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This was not what I was expecting when I opened the box for my new water cooler!

And some pics.

51082750457_e7f6da34f7_o.jpg

51081962388_c5230b582f_o.jpg

51013472045_17049b1506_o.jpg

51081962333_f935f6ea0a_o.jpg

51082750307_a1dae72587_o.jpg

Reactions: IDAFC21

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Also, the new 5800x proves to be an absolute beast. Definitely the sweet price point for the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. The performance gains from the 5800x, to the 5900x, and 5950x aren't worth it as much unless you are really doing a crap ton of heavy multithreaded CPU work.

If however, all you do is game then the 5600x is the better buy. The 5800x is good for the multi-use role, and the further up the skew you go the less you gain in games.

I don't even think I'll get a 5900x for the FreeNAS when I'm ready to upgrade it and instead just go with the 5800x.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Installed a new 970 EVO 500gb as a temporary Games drive since i didn't feel like shelling out for a 2TB ATM and I can definitely reuse the 970 later as a TimeMachine backup.

Not bad. Solid 2GB/s write speed, and read speeds are nice for loading game levels.

1617317635093.png

Compared to the older Samsung 850 EVO 1TB I have for games currently.

1617317723442.png

Old 1TB drive hasn't been used much. Only written about 20TB to it. Plenty of life left!

1617317869067.png

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA

anything I should look for or plan for when upgrading from Freenas 11.3 to their latest truenas?
All of my upgrades have gone really smoothly for the most part. The biggest problems seemed to come from the Kernel versions inside the jails vs the host kernel version.

If you are running any legacy jails the upgrade from FreeNAS 11.2 to 11.3 broke them hardcore.

However, 11.3 to 12.x uses a completely new jail base, so you'll have to build new jails from scratch. Make sure you get the files you need copied, or migrate them to an external dataset and use a mount point so they reside outside the jail.

I keep the Plex Data directory on an external pool and use a mount point inside the jail. Makes upgrading the jails and migrating the Plex database super easy. About 5 minutes to build a new Plex jail if I need to.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
All of my upgrades have gone really smoothly for the most part. The biggest problems seemed to come from the Kernel versions inside the jails vs the host kernel version.

If you are running any legacy jails the upgrade from FreeNAS 11.2 to 11.3 broke them hardcore.

However, 11.3 to 12.x uses a completely new jail base, so you'll have to build new jails from scratch. Make sure you get the files you need copied, or migrate them to an external dataset and use a mount point so they reside outside the jail.

I keep the Plex Data directory on an external pool and use a mount point inside the jail. Makes upgrading the jails and migrating the Plex database super easy. About 5 minutes to build a new Plex jail if I need to.
I am not running any jails, strictly NAS duty.

I am also debating on putting it directly on hardware instead of through proxmox. I do pass the drives through directly so its true ZFS, but I have proxmox as my host.

But if I do that, I may switch to something low power....went through logs today and it rarely goes over 15-20% CPU on a AMD-FX8320E... might be wasting some dollars running this thing for my duty load

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Got bored today. So I decided to build a custom Windows Image with all the drivers for my gaming PC and such.

Finished the initial base in a VM. Installed Windows 20H2, updated to current patching, installed chrome, Steam, and all the Gigabyte Apps an stuff for the NZXT AIO. :)

Syspreped /generalized and shutdown. made a snap shot.

testing this round in the VM. :)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Spent the morning replacing all 3 of my case fans. I've got a thermaltake case, that came with thermaltake RGB fans that connnect to a control board that was already installed in the case for changing the colors, and the fans themselves use a 6 pin connector... A little over a week ago I had 1 fan go out, and I could not find a direct replacement for it, and struggled to find any RGB fans that use a 6 pin connector instead of the more standard 3 or 4 pin. But I did manage to find one set that did use 6 pin connectors

So the plan was to get these and plug one into the stock controller and see what happens. Fast forward about a week to today (I was really putting this off :LOL: ) Opened my case up, plugged the fan in, and...........nothing. WELP looks like I'm replacing the other 2 good fans w/ these new ones! So after getting the other 2 fans out, and getting all 3 fo the new ones in and wired to their own controller (which thankfully doesnt need a direct line of sight for the remote to work so I could put everything behind the back plate out of the way), and here we are.

vFJlAJL.jpg

But god damn, these things have SO many different modes and patterns that I will never use. :LOL: Like this!

u5Yp1jh.gif

I was putting it off cuz I kinda knew I was gonna have to replace all 3 fans, but if 1 went, the other 2 probably weren't far behind, so better to just do them all anyways

Reactions: Maro

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Spent the morning replacing all 3 of my case fans. I've got a thermaltake case, that came with thermaltake RGB fans that connnect to a control board that was already installed in the case for changing the colors, and the fans themselves use a 6 pin connector... A little over a week ago I had 1 fan go out, and I could not find a direct replacement for it, and struggled to find any RGB fans that use a 6 pin connector instead of the more standard 3 or 4 pin. But I did manage to find one set that did use 6 pin connectors

So the plan was to get these and plug one into the stock controller and see what happens. Fast forward about a week to today (I was really putting this off :LOL: ) Opened my case up, plugged the fan in, and...........nothing. WELP looks like I'm replacing the other 2 good fans w/ these new ones! So after getting the other 2 fans out, and getting all 3 fo the new ones in and wired to their own controller (which thankfully doesnt need a direct line of sight for the remote to work so I could put everything behind the back plate out of the way), and here we are.

vFJlAJL.jpg

But god damn, these things have SO many different modes and patterns that I will never use. :LOL: Like this!

u5Yp1jh.gif

I was putting it off cuz I kinda knew I was gonna have to replace all 3 fans, but if 1 went, the other 2 probably weren't far behind, so better to just do them all anyways
It’s like a disco happening in there! Can you fit in an actual miniature mirrored disco ball?

Reactions: Maro

Thread Info