đź’¬ OT đź’» Post your computer setup

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA

I’ll never be able to get rid of this 4790k now. :rofl:

It gets more interesting—Intel processors have been supporting this feature since the company's 4th Gen Core "Haswell," which introduced it with its 20-lane PCI-Express gen 3.0 root-complex. This means that every Intel processor dating back to 2014 can technically support Resizable-BAR, and it's just a matter of motherboard vendors releasing UEFI firmware updates for their products (i.e. Intel 8-series chipsets and later).

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
If it wasn't for AMD, basically everything "new" that has come out the last 3-5 years still wouldn't even exist.

We'd have 4c/4t high end processors in 2020 if Intel had their way but Ryzen blindsided them coming from faildozer. The 9900K was laughable at its price with 8/8 for the top end processor when its predecessor had HT support. Intel is now experimenting with chiplet designs as well, shocked I am not. Yet they're still holding onto monolithic 10nm like a boomer and stucco.

Resizable BAR. It's been around since Haswell days (2014-2015) but Intel and nVidia did nothing with it until AMD smacked them in the face. The day after the 6000 launch, suddenly nVidia is scrambling to make it "available for all regardless of processor/GPU".

AMD caught up AND said "look what we have that these guys have been ignoring for years."

Reactions: Fish

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah,

But where I was going with is that Nvidia has a huge lead in ray-tracing optimization. The 6000series just can't hack it, even though its doing well in standard rendering. AMD needs to make big leaps here, Ray-Tracing either in part, or full Path-Tracing like the Minecraft/Quake 2 ports are using.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Unpopular opinion: I bought an RTX card but still think RTX is a useless gimmick.

Couldn’t care less if a card has it or not. Raw power is all I care about.

I don't care about "RTX" specifically, but I do care about Ray Tracing as a feature set. It does add a huge image quality bonus to games that properly enable it. Control is probably the best case for it, and its not RTX specific. Control actually uses the standard DX12 Ray Tracing feature set and not any Nvidia specific "RTX" stuff. And it has EVERY feature in there.

I'm also a big fan of DLSS, so yeah I want AMD to get that into their cards, I can't believe how good it is.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Unpopular opinion: I bought an RTX card but still think RTX is a useless gimmick.

Couldn’t care less if a card has it or not. Raw power is all I care about.

Yeah same here. I have a 3080 fe card and its unbelievable. I also moved away from 4k60 and got me a 34" LG ultra gear 3440x1440 Gsync 160hz ultrawide. I have now been changed in ways I didnt think possible with this ultrawide. Gaming will never be the same...its WOW.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah same here. I have a 3080 fe card and its unbelievable. I also moved away from 4k60 and got me a 34" LG ultra gear 3440x1440 Gsync 160hz ultrawide. I have now been changed in ways I didnt think possible with this ultrawide. Gaming will never be the same...its WOW.
Yeah, 4K is nice for movies. But when gaming, Ultrawide 21:9 is where its at. Which means that 5K 5120x2160 is best. :)

Though, honestly I would love to try one of the Samsung 49" wide super ultra-wide monitors.

Reactions: ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
That was actually the first bit I watched on this.

I don't actually watched Hardware Unboxed, for the most part I watch GN,LTT,J2C, and even not every video.

**UPDATE**

1607838579887.png

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If you have a 3d Printer I'd have done 3x 120's up front, and a shroud to force air through the radiator. More flow with less fan noise, or just gone with a 360mm radiator.

If you have PWM control of the fans go for the Noctua IPC3000 PWM fans. They can ramp up to insane flow/pressure rates. But with PWM you can run them where they are quiet with a custom fan curve.

I would have done that for my NAS, but the PWM control on the mobo is slaved to CPU temps. I want to control it via HD temps. So for now I just have them set at a value that keeps the fans quiet and still keeps the drives under 40c.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you have a 3d Printer I'd have done 3x 120's up front, and a shroud to force air through the radiator. More flow with less fan noise.

If you have PWM control of the fans go for the Noctua IPC3000 PWM fans. They can ramp up to insane flow/pressure rates. But with PWM you can run them where they are quiet with a custom fan curve.
There's going to be 2 more 120mm in the front. Can't do 3 because I still need to keep a DVD drive for random burnings every now and then

Thread Info