đź’¬ OT đź’» Post your computer setup

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
2070/80 Max-Q are literally money grabs with no real added performance. There are benchmarks where full performance 2060's at 115w are destroying 2080MQ's at 90-115w.

Any 4800H Ryzen or 9750/10750 Intel will do anything you need for years to come.

Agreed. I made sure my MSI GE75 Raider had the 2070 Super Max P, not the Max Q. The 2070 Super 115w setup I have is as fast a the 2080 max q. And my machine with the 10750h, 32gb of 2933 and a 1TB NVME was $2300 shipped from Amazon. It rapes all at 1080p with its 300hz screen.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Building is a bit more complicated than buying a laptop with the right specs, but there are services that will build a custom machine at your request. MIcrocenter offers that kind of deal.

Or you can dive into building it yourself. Gotta be easier than fabbing your own Turbo kit. :)
or he just buys something pre-made

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Oh man, I should have all my PC parts tomorrow, excited to get this thing built! Monitor should be in on Monday as I took too long determining which one to go with. New office is setup, ignore the dual monitors, those are just my work monitors.

2FF56A7B-6352-40AA-912A-3ED8B1E003BC.jpeg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Should anyone want legacy components to build a legacy gaming system. Gonna send'm to the recycler next week otherwise.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
It is.

I got one more system, but that one won't be free. So I am doing tests for it right now showing it works since I'll be asking for some money with it.
I have 2 motherboard boxes with working systems too, basically same era you posted. Probably just going to the recycler. You could try to extract the gold out of it lol

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
And the final system. But not free.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Basically, going through a "cleaning phase" to prep for moving into a new apartment, or buying a house later this year. I don't want to waste money on a short-term apartment lease in a new place if I don't have to. But current land lord is being an ass.

So the goal is to basically be move-out ready all the time. Everything in a storage bin, ready to just pickup and shove onto a truck. Even got giant storage bins on wheels for my car tools.

I put all my game consoles away except for the Xbox One cause I still use that. But the 360, Saturn, Dreamcast, Genesis are all packed away now with all their games too.

still deciding WTF I want to do with my Laserdisc and VHS stuff. I have a box full of VHS tapes and like 15 Laserdisc titles. I might try to sell the Laserdisc stuff to see if a collector wants to pick it up. But the VHS stuff is probably just gonna get good-willed.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Basically, going through a "cleaning phase" to prep for moving into a new apartment, or buying a house later this year. I don't want to waste money on a short-term apartment lease in a new place if I don't have to. But current land lord is being an ass.

So the goal is to basically be move-out ready all the time. Everything in a storage bin, ready to just pickup and shove onto a truck. Even got giant storage bins on wheels for my car tools.

I put all my game consoles away except for the Xbox One cause I still use that. But the 360, Saturn, Dreamcast, Genesis are all packed away now with all their games too.

still deciding WTF I want to do with my Laserdisc and VHS stuff. I have a box full of VHS tapes and like 15 Laserdisc titles. I might try to sell the Laserdisc stuff to see if a collector wants to pick it up. But the VHS stuff is probably just gonna get good-willed.
That’s far I did with my VHS. Had most of the titles on DVD by that point. Kept the ones that were hard to find in the first place, rest went to donation.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
That’s far I did with my VHS. Had most of the titles on DVD by that point. Kept the ones that were hard to find in the first place, rest went to donation.
Sure I can easily do that with the titles I already own in newer formats.

The other titles I don't own on newer formats I'll probably just make a "wish list" of and try and buy them on newer formats. I can't see plugging the VHS in just to watch them.

The hardest part of it is I have some VHS tapes that might have family video's on them, so I need to go through those tapes to find out, then digitize them. I if I do that I'll end up buying a USB capture card since I'll only use it just to get those videos digitally. I also found a VHS-C tape, so I definitely know that's family stuff. I don't have a converter anymore, so I need the VHS-C converter case.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Got any DDR3 ECC ram?

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Well, stick at this screen and unable to get into the bios. The BOOT and DRAM leds on the motherboard also stay on. I imagine this motherboard doesn’t have the bios for Ryzen 5000 and I’ll need to put an older CPU in to update. But is there something I should check first? Remove one ram stick and try again?

Edit: tried one stick of ram and same results.

86878404-279B-4EA6-8BA2-AB68C78FDCE2.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Sure I can easily do that with the titles I already own in newer formats.

The other titles I don't own on newer formats I'll probably just make a "wish list" of and try and buy them on newer formats. I can't see plugging the VHS in just to watch them.

The hardest part of it is I have some VHS tapes that might have family video's on them, so I need to go through those tapes to find out, then digitize them. I if I do that I'll end up buying a USB capture card since I'll only use it just to get those videos digitally. I also found a VHS-C tape, so I definitely know that's family stuff. I don't have a converter anymore, so I need the VHS-C converter case.
Yeah, exact problem with family video. I just kept them all in a box, or anything I knew I wouldn’t be able to find again. Put my VCR in its original box and also a standalone DVD player (recorder actually). That way I could easily pack them up if required.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Holy Fuck.

I just found the VHS-C converter case so it can get put inside a regular VHS player.

But that's not the Holiest of Holy Fucks.

The damned thing's batteries are STILL FUCKING WORKING.

I popped the VHS-C tape into the converter case and the Gud Damned Motors prepped the tape!

Its been in the box since 2000 FUCKING FIVE. And the batteries sure weren't fresh daisies then either!

• Wow
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have two or three VHS-C tapes from the mid 90’s, but no idea where the adapter is. Might be with the camcorder that’s tucked away. Next time I rummage through that stuff I’ll have to take a look.

Surprised your batteries haven’t corroded into one mass of unusable crap.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Finally tossed an additonal 8GB of ram into my Asus laptop today. Not that it really NEEDED it, but more is never a bad thing. Coming up on a year of owning this thing now, picked it up during black friday last year. Hasnt lost any of its pep yet
Just keeping the OS clean and free of auto-start applets and things.

As long as the OS is clean, the GUI responsiveness should be as snappy as the day it was built.

Reactions: ZXMustang

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Got it up and running yesterday but only had time for a few games of Warzone. Looked to be around 140fps at 1440p most the time. Couldn’t get msi afterburner to show avg FPS so I only had live FPS to go off of, will dick with that some more tonight.

Plan to add a rear fan as I thought the case came with one so I didn’t buy one and I have some custom white/silver cable extensions coming.

16223E8C-72C5-4DB8-B08E-2A9EA8A8318C.jpeg

Thread Info