đź’¬ OT đź’» Post your computer setup

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Randomly found some unused gift cards so am entertaining a CPU upgrade. It seems like FS2020 is CPU intensive -- the CPU pegs well before the GPU with how I play [1080 gaming] -- so I'm curious what would be the most bang for the buck CPU to upgrade from my i5 7400. The ideal specs for the game list an Intel i7-9800X, so I'm definitely looking at a motherboard upgrade to step up from my 4-core CPU, so I'm curious if you guys can offer any advice on what a budget version of the Intel i7-9800X would be. Any Intel CPUs worthwhile in the $200 range? I know I'll be on the hook for a motherboard and CPU cooler in addition, but not sure if a power supply is also in order.

Specs:
Dell XPS 8920
i5 7400
GTX 1070
16 mb ram
I believe a 460w power supply

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
No clue :rofl: That would be unfortunate. I'd be limited to whatever the max CPU for this board is, then. Which I think is an i7-7700K, 4-core, 8-thread. Might not be worth it.
Compare the motherboard stand off screws vs a regular atx.

And hope the power supply isn't a weird shape.

Dell uses a proprietary motherboard with some motherboard mounting holes that match standard ATX and others that do not. Dell uses proprietary and undocumented front panel connections. Dell uses proprietary case and CPU cooling fans with an extra connection that the BIOS senses. The motherboard rear I/O shield is built into the case, not an insert like standard ATX motherboards.

Depending on the RAM in it, to upgrade youll need MB, CPU and RAM at a minimum.

If Dell has a proprietary motherboard power connector on that model, then PSU too.

At that point, you get a new case and call it a new build. Transplant over the hard drives, optical drive (if you want) and graphics card. The good thing is PSUs and Cases are usually pretty affordable if you aren't picky or going for SFF (small form factor).

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Then going forward everything will be easy to swap over. I usually do a new MB, CPU and RAM combo every 3-5 years on my desktop. I have had the same case, PSU and optical drive for the last decade. I upgraded to a ssd 2 builds ago. It makes a new pc essentially a 3-400$ upgrade purchase going forward if you don't have any other hardware failures.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I had an older XPS that had a BTX motherboard and a power supply that had a standard pinout, but 12v and ground rails switched. case, board, and psu all couldn't be used with anything else.

a quick google of the 8920, back panel looks to be standard atx. Just make sure a cpu cooler will clear the weirdly mounted PSU

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I had an older XPS that had a BTX motherboard and a power supply that had a standard pinout, but 12v and ground rails switched. case, board, and psu all couldn't be used with anything else.

a quick google of the 8920, back panel looks to be standard atx. Just make sure a cpu cooler will clear the weirdly mounted PSU
yeah Dell is a fucker. They will sometimes keep the same connector just switch powers around...like seriously???

HP pulls the same shit.

Reactions: bikrboy128

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Your best served going 4k or 1440p if your focus is FS. The only way to get better performance is to shift the load to the GPU and off the CPU. You want your bottleneck to be your GPU. I'd consider a 4k monitor and a GPU upgrade after that. You are totally fine on CPU for the foreseeable future. You get a new CPU and flight sim will gobble that up as well showing you no gain in performance. This is how I've been able to stretch my 7700k. Im on a 2080 Super now with a 4k display and Im able to play everything I want at 4k60 at the settings I want and see no bottleneck on the CPU. I run the afterburner OSD and can see in realtime the CPU/GPU metrics.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Randomly found some unused gift cards so am entertaining a CPU upgrade. It seems like FS2020 is CPU intensive -- the CPU pegs well before the GPU with how I play [1080 gaming] -- so I'm curious what would be the most bang for the buck CPU to upgrade from my i5 7400. The ideal specs for the game list an Intel i7-9800X, so I'm definitely looking at a motherboard upgrade to step up from my 4-core CPU, so I'm curious if you guys can offer any advice on what a budget version of the Intel i7-9800X would be. Any Intel CPUs worthwhile in the $200 range? I know I'll be on the hook for a motherboard and CPU cooler in addition, but not sure if a power supply is also in order.

Specs:
Dell XPS 8920
i5 7400
GTX 1070
16 mb ram
I believe a 460w power supply

After looking at some pictures of the MOBO, Im sure its fine, but leaves much to be desired. It has M.2 slots if you wanted to upgrade your boot drive and that might help a little bit. The PCIE lanes might be enough for a GPU and M.2 drive.

I found a pic here.

Learning and messing with PCs is probably some of my favorite stuff now and learning more is always fun. I would honestly wait a few to see what is unveiled by AMD and see how board partners and NVIDIA respond to the 30 series issues before making a solid decision.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
random comment. Computers as far as their components have come so far.

I remember when the motherboard was nothing more than a bus board without any logic on it at all.

I remember when CPUs didn’t have math co processing on board.

when you had to install your level 3 cache because it wasn’t on the die.

mans all of the things like storage controllers, audio, video and so many other things were add on cards/chips that had to be installed.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Apparently limited supply of Gigabyte 3090s at Westmont.

lol only 1600 bucks

Thread Info