Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Damn, missing some posts in here too.

Either way, I dont know if I updated, but my server is back up and running. Did a CMOS reset and off to the races. Picked up a couple APC Smart 750s with bad batteries. I ordered these as replacements. Figure if they work out, I spent a lot less than buying these units new. Also need to get some USB A to USB B cables so I can hook them to their respective computers to control in case they switch over to battery power.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Damn, missing some posts in here too.

Either way, I dont know if I updated, but my server is back up and running. Did a CMOS reset and off to the races. Picked up a couple APC Smart 750s with bad batteries. I ordered these as replacements. Figure if they work out, I spent a lot less than buying these units new. Also need to get some USB A to USB B cables so I can hook them to their respective computers to control in case they switch over to battery power.

Reactions: Fish

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Reactions: Mook

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thinking about pulling the trigger on 3 of these bad boys.

3000rpm PWM fans. 109cfm @ 7.63mm H2O pressure. Which isn't a HUGE amount considering, but the static pressure is what I need for the Plex Server. The fans in there now are the OEM fans which I cannot find any specs for and honestly don't seem to be doing all that well.

The 3 fans will replace the 3x120mm fan-wall.

Since I put the newer HD's in there, there is way more restriction now, so the HD's aren't getting cooled as well as before, and overall system temps went up.

Expensive fans though, which is what is making me think about it a bit. $25/each.

Although, if I was a masochist I'd buy the Delta 120mm 200cfm fans. So loud.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I got 3 of these for intakes at the front, and use the stock fans for the intake at the bottom, exhaust out the back, and 2 exhausts out of the top. Im wondering if I should get more for the top and bottom.

Amazon product

Honestly the P12's are fine for case fans. They aren't the airflow rated ones. But they are damned quiet.

My gaming PChas 3 of the NF-S12A PWM, which are only 17dB, and about 63cfm. Two for intake, 1 for exhaust. With the design of the case, its super efficient in terms of evacuating hot air.

I run dual 120's vertically stacked. The top one cool the Mobo area, the bottom one feeds the drives and PSU.
1568749247858.png

And then just a single exhaust fan in the top rear to exhaust hot CPU air out the back.

The open mesh design means the GPU pretty much cools like its in open air. Any heat produced by the backplate is exhausted by the rear case fan.

20907803828_76d5555cd3_k.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Those fans will probably outlast the next 5 computers I build. Noctua's are built rediculously well. Though, since they are going in a server, and will be muffled by the drive bays, I won't hear them.

But in a regular computer case a few feet away from your ears at 43db they are probably pretty loud. They make roughly 6x more static pressure, but not much more flow. Its my hope it will draw the air through the bays and help cool down the drives better.

I tried to measure the dB output of the Noctua S12 fans I have, they are listed at 17db. Literally no room in my apartment is quiet enough to measure them. They make zero impact on my phones dB app.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I can hear the NF12s right now with my server case on my desk next to me. I dont plan on keeping it there long term, but I didnt want to put it on the floor right now either. Temps arent terrible and its nothing I want to do ASAP. Eventually when we buy a house, Im gonna get the 2 post rack that my buddy is holding for me and put everything into something like this.

Amazon product

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I can hear the NF12s right now with my server case on my desk next to me. I dont plan on keeping it there long term, but I didnt want to put it on the floor right now either. Temps arent terrible and its nothing I want to do ASAP. Eventually when we buy a house, Im gonna get the 2 post rack that my buddy is holding for me and put everything into something like this.

Amazon product

That was one of the cases I looked at before setting on my Norco 4224 case. I like the Norco a lot more.

Though, if I were to do it again I'd try to find a 24 bay SuperMicro case. I didn't realize that they did make quiet power supplies for those things. Most of the SM cases have enterprise grade noise producing fans in them. 6500rpm 120mm fans pushing 200cfm+ with dual PSU's that have a 6 stack of 40mm fans for cooling. But the case's have IPMI which can be used by scripts to control PWM fans easily.

And though its un-related.

I ran across this pic of some guys computer desk, I am jealous of his computer desk. Major audio production setup though.
t4kpbjq7i0m31.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The fans have arrived. Will install them tonight.

However they feel heavier and more substantial than the normal fans.

They aren’t that loud outside. Certainly not quiet. I hooked them up to a dell at work to give them a listen.

When I put them in the server they will be muffled by the drive cage.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
since yall talking about fans, just got these for the entertainment cabinet and they work pretty good while being pretty silent on high

Amazon product

Not bad, but they are definitely lying about the specs.

If they really did have a 120mm fan that pushed 130cfm, in a 120x25mm package at only 19dB that would be one of the holy grail of case fans.

The Noctua's I just bought are 109cfm, 120x25mm, and 43dB.

Thread Info