Bequiet! Dark Base Rev 2 Case
i7-9700K
EVGA 2080ti Black
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU
Corsair Dominator LED/RGD 32GB DDR4 RAM
Samsun 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Asus Maximus Hero XI Wi-Fi MB
Corsair H115i AIO

Bought an EVGA Hybrid Kit for the GPU as well as an EVGA Power Link.

Both should be at the house today and I'll get them installed ASAP.

Temps on the 2080ti keep jumping to 70-72C at 85-90% power level. If I crank it up to 100% power (factory settings) temps hit 75-77C which is pretty hot. Really hoping the GPU cooler works and keeps temps down. Really want to prolong the life of the new setup for many years to come.

Most likely going to also put a better paste on the GPU as well as I've heard there are a lot with bad paste that could be causing higher than normal temps. EVGA did state that temps in the mid 80's are perfectly normal for this card, but, man, that's hot.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
New setup:

Bequiet! Dark Base Rev 2 Case
i7-9700K
EVGA 2080ti Black
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU
Corsair Dominator LED/RGD 32GB DDR4 RAM
Samsun 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Asus Maximus Hero XI Wi-Fi MB
Corsair H115i AIO

Bought an EVGA Hybrid Kit for the GPU as well as an EVGA Power Link.

Both should be at the house today and I'll get them installed ASAP.

Temps on the 2080ti keep jumping to 70-72C at 85-90% power level. If I crank it up to 100% power (factory settings) temps hit 75-77C which is pretty hot. Really hoping the GPU cooler works and keeps temps down. Really want to prolong the life of the new setup for many years to come.

Most likely going to also put a better paste on the GPU as well as I've heard there are a lot with bad paste that could be causing higher than normal temps. EVGA did state that temps in the mid 80's are perfectly normal for this card, but, man, that's hot.
70s is actually really good for a GPU.

I wouldn't even touch it. They run hotter then CPUs naturally so don't compare the two

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
70s is actually really good for a GPU.

I wouldn't even touch it. They run hotter then CPUs naturally so don't compare the two

Problem I have with this is once it gets above a certain point, even setting various fan curves in the X1 program, the GPU fans start spinning on/off rapidly at 100% speed.

In addition, the games I play will start to stutter a bit too.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Problem I have with this is once it gets above a certain point, even setting various fan curves in the X1 program, the GPU fans start spinning on/off rapidly at 100% speed.

In addition, the games I play will start to stutter a bit too.
Override the fan curves and just set a manual speed and run it all the time when gaming. Start at like 25-50% and see how your temps are...if they get too high, bump it to 60-75%, still too hot, bump it up 85%...etc

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Override the fan curves and just set a manual speed and run it all the time when gaming. Start at like 25-50% and see how your temps are...if they get too high, bump it to 60-75%, still too hot, bump it up 85%...etc

Done that a couple of times actually. The fans get super loud and it is really annoying.

The fans should work automatically and easily. May want to just clean install the GPU drivers and EGVA app.

Tried this too. Fresh installs, adjusted curves according to EVGA tech supprot, etc. Fans get crazy loud at 70-72C.

I don't like how it manages my 1080. Spins up the fans too high for what's needed and makes more noise then necessary.

As said above, super loud.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Done that a couple of times actually. The fans get super loud and it is really annoying.

Tried this too. Fresh installs, adjusted curves according to EVGA tech supprot, etc. Fans get crazy loud at 70-72C.

As said above, super loud.
Move the case under the desk :rofl:

Or swap the fans for quieter ones...or water cool the GPU for no fan noise.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Fans that come with cases are generally bottom of the barrel. 3000rpm fans that move less air than a whisper.

You need to get Noctua or Scythe fans if you want real air flow at decent volume levels. You also pay for them.

70-80* is 100% normal for the top end cards. I let my 980ti run slightly hotter just so I can have a quiet case. :rofl: Think it runs around 65-70 in Arma 3.

If you have the liquid cooler coming, why is it even an issue?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I throw away the fans that come with any case I've bought because I'll always splurge the extra $50-100 for GOOD fans. Air flow and quiet are 100% worth the price.

I had the Cooler Master HAF X for the longest time and having three 200mm fans that spun at 500rpm but moved more air than every fan on the market was a god send for noise.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Are fans super easy to install?

The fans the case came with have the remote control on it and speed up pretty well.

From what I read, these fans are pretty decent, but, I've heard Noctua are GREAT, even though they are pricey.
Yeah. 4 Phillips screws and a connector usually. Cable management is probably harder :rofl:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I just swapped 3 fans in my Gaming PC.

Swapped out the Corsair OEM fans for the Noctua silent 92mm fans. Wired them up and just let them run full speed because they are so quiet.

I pulled them out of my FreeNAS server, which I installed 3 Noctua black fans. Higher RPM, slightly more noise, but from where I sit I can't hear it. So the extra flow is good for the drives.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-...hit-it-almost-outsold-intels-entire-cpu-range

AMD’s Ryzen 3000 series processors, spearheaded by the Ryzen 7 3700X, have led what looks like an unprecedented assault on Intel’s CPUs, at least going by the figures from one component retailer.

The latest stats from German retailer Mindfactory (as highlighted on Reddit) for the month of July show that AMD sold an incredible 79% of all processor units, compared to 21% for Intel.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
BUT IT STILL HAS A SLIGHT ADVANTAGE WHEN DOING SINGLE THREADED TASKS!!*

*in these select benchmarks where Intel is ahead...barely.

By barely you mean that its negligible since its about 1-2% difference which is margin of error?

I bought an Intel 660P 1TB NVME drive last week instead of getting the Inland Pro 1TB NVME from Microcenter that I was planning on when I walked in. Went home, watched/read reviews, returned the next day and got the Inland.

Still need to install it and the OS, but Im trying to make the switch as painless as possible.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I used an Inland NVME drive in my daughters build that has been running for about 4 months with no issues at all. Read quite a few people on Reddit saying the same thing.

Either way. 3 year warranty from MC that is a few towns away.

I really didnt want the 660P after reading about the QLC issues and how the speeds are shit compared to TLC, which is what the Inland is.

Reviews are pretty damn good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RCM6DXK/?tag=tcg21-20

Thread Info