💬 OT 💻 Post your computer setup

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
2080 doesnt do 4K with the highest settings above 60FPS, but it will still do it if you tweak your settings. :dunno:

It wont look as pretty, but Im just not a fan of spending $1200 on everything else, then $1200 on a video card, THEN lord knows what on a good panel of any kind to take advantage of the 4K, HDR, and low refresh rate.

Even if you wait for another week or 2 for the 2080 Super, its still a lot of coin to see Lara Croft in 4K HDR. :hs:

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
4k gaming = 2080Ti or now the 2080 Super when it arrives.

2080 really won't do the AAA titles at 4k with decent frame rates. Higher the res, the more its GPU bottle necked.

So if I was willing to spend $700 on a card right now I'd wait for the 2080 Super.

So far I have been playing all my games pretty much maxed out minus any AA and my new 2080 has been able to lock 60fps. Im using a new 40" Vizio 4k TV I got from Costco for $220. Its simply amazing playing GTAV and Tomb Raider in 4k. Im running the afterburner overlay to see GPU utilization and whatnot, and yeah its near 70%-90% but this is maxed out and I havent OCd yet really.

I played with OC with afterburner and the core only gets to like +135 but the memory....WOW. I can do +1000mhz on the memory. And its stable. I dialed it back because I simply dont need to OC it yet.

I was able to run Ultra settings on BF5 minus Ray tracing set to medium with 4k and that as well will stay locked 60fps. Its so great. And I ended up with a 2080 FE. I ordered an ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 OC from amazon, but it was basically DOA out of the box. Tons of green dots and artifacts on the screen from both HDMI outputs. I setup the return on it and sure enough my local best buy had the 2080 FE and an MSI Gaming X 2080 in stock. One for $689 and one for $719. I might return this when the super comes out. I have 15 days and I believe the 2080 Super is coming out at the end of this month. So I will try and get the FE one from Nvidia for $699. That would be ideal, but for now I get to play with this one. Love it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'd ditch the i7. An i5 will do everything you need. 16GB ram is plenty, and an SSD large enough to fit the things you want to fit.

After that, focus on other features like screen size, touch or not, speakers, size, weight, battery life.

Unless you are doing some big number crunching stuff a 9th gen i5 will provide all the oomph you need.

Discrete graphics is superfluous unless you are doing 3d accelerated stuff, the onboard graphics are plenty

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Umm, IT people? :dunno:

Or are they classified as "sweaty nerds" too? :hs:

Yes

Guys. Shopping for a laptop. Basic school/business/home use and not be outdated for 3-5years. Looking at $800ish max.

I’m so out of the loop on shit right now.

Looking at 13-15” screen, i7 processor, 16gb ram, onboard graphics, 256gb SSD.

Am I overkill on anything for specs?

As Bill said, depending on your usage, an i7 is overkill. i5's are equivalent except they don't do multithreading but are still multicore processors. STAY AWAY FROM i3s.

I'd say just stick with a Dell Latitude or Lenovo T series. They're "work" laptops but are clearly built better than their home consumer counterparts. Not sure what kind of discounts you could get so I don't know what the pricing would look like for you but just stick with those two models and you're fine.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I actually have two macbook airs I'd sell. I ran VMWare for when I needed windows. When the VM is running windows full screen you can't even tell its a VM. Pretty sure they are at least 5 years old but continue to be rock solid. I'll check specs if interested.

Sure, lemme know what the specs are

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

So what about self proclaimed PC master race people? What are they? :hsugh:

I'd still go for an i7 for longevity sake.

A i5 is enough, but 5 years from now you'll be glad you have that i7.

For laptops though, I dont know if even years from now the i7 would make a difference. Especially if it isnt used for anything drastic.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Going to have a new setup pretty soon.

Old setup:
i7-7700K Non-OC'd
Asus Maximus Hero IX MB
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
EVGA DDR4-3200 16GB RAM
EVGA 750 P2 PSU
EVGA 2080ti Black Edition 11GB
Corsair Single radiator Liquid cooling
NZXT Tempest Evo case

Played Assassins Creed Odyssey on near max graphics at a consistent 50-60 FPS, depending on the area.
WoW typically gets 70-90 depending on the zone, but, I've learned that WoW is not GPU taxing, but, more CPU taxing for better performance.

New Setup:
i7-9700K
Asus Maximus Hero XI wi-fi
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Corsair DDR4-3466 32GB RAM
EVGA 2080ti Black edition 11GB
Corsair H115i dual radiator liquid cooling
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU
bequiet! dark base 900 rev. 2 case - silver
Asus Predator 1080p 144hz monitor (had this for a while now)
EVGA hybrid cooler for the GPU - once it is actually in stock somewhere....
Possibly adding Noctua fans to the radiator of the liquid cooling for even better performance.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Super sweaty nerds.

iu

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I just don't see the need for an i7 in most laptops that aren't going to do some sort of heavy processing workload.

As long as the system isn't junked up, they still work perfectly fine. The biggest slow down is an old OS in need of a wipe and reload.

There is really very little difference in terms of overall processing power from the 4th to the 7th generation Intel CPUs compared among the equivalent models.

Since AMD launched the Ryzen, Intel has actually had to work to improve the CPUs rather than releasing minor improvements so we are seeing larger jumps in performance over each generation again. So the 8th and 9th gen models are finally offering bigger jumps in performance again.

I can't see any reason to upgrade my i7-4790k to a i7-7700k CPU. It's basically the same CPU. With the 8th and 9th gen Intel finally upped the core counts because they were forced to.

But almost guaranteed to move to Zen2 next year. By then all of them will be released and there will be lots of benchmarks with some maturity in drivers.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Good deal if you can upgrade with no lost money.

For me, I'm 7 months into ownership of my 2080, so I'm not going to try and upgrade. I'll get a bigger bump by upgrading the CPU/Mobo combo down the road.

I still don't feel bad because the 2080 doubled my frame-rates in just about every game over my GTX 980 Strix.

Thread Info