💬 OT ðŸ’» Post your computer setup

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, I've had an issue with one of the bays on my 24 bay FreeNAS server, always get a bunch of CAM errors, essentially stating that the cable or the backplane is bad. I thought it was the backplane, so replaced it today.

Sadly, its either the SAS cable or the HBA card the cable attaches to, because the new backplane did the same exact thing. :(

Oh well, now I have a spare backplane.

While replacing it I cleaned the fuck out of the server. Disconnected all fans + PSU cables, and removed the drives. Then took it outside and blew the hell out of it with the ED500 electric duster. This thing puts out probably 50x more air than a air duster can. It blew all the dust out of every nook and cranny the case has.

I love that those Noctua fans, and that Noctua HSF is whisper quiet will easily keeping up with the heat output from the 4790k CPU.

The new Ryzen 3900x benchmarks tell me what I'm buying for my next Plex server. I'll settle for 64gb of ram, but would like to build something with 128GB of ram for FreeNAS since it will cache all the data in RAM.
48225292556_062e055345_o.jpg

48225350817_557c756312_o.jpg

48225350392_4fac6aa798_o.jpg

48225291756_1510b19c3d_o.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
There are already some. Jayz2cents did one and he limited the 3900X and 9900K to 4Ghz to make it a direct single core comparison. The 3900X was winning. I believe the 3700X was actually not too far behind in single core comparison as well.

IMO 3700X is probably what I would go for. That 65 watt TDP and power for the money. I have to see if my mobo supports it. Its X470 and should, but its a lower end one. :tear:

https://youtu.be/tNH9FYgW8m4

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
There are already some. Jayz2cents did one and he limited the 3900X and 9900K to 4Ghz to make it a direct single core comparison. The 3900X was winning. I believe the 3700X was actually not too far behind in single core comparison as well.

IMO 3700X is probably what I would go for. That 65 watt TDP and power for the money. I have to see if my mobo supports it. Its X470 and should, but its a lower end one. :tear:

https://youtu.be/tNH9FYgW8m4

For Plex Server / FreeNAS I'd do the 3900x, because 4k transcoding. If more money, the 3950x, however that's 50% more money for another 4 cores with a MSRP of $750, which is more than I'd want to spend. But 16 cores and 32 threads sounds awesome for server based workloads.

But for a gaming machine? 3700x would be an amazing CPU for the money. Based on just the two reviews so far I've seen I'd recommend the 3700x for just about everyone.

Kinda wanna see the reviews for the cheaper end of the Zen2 line-up. The Ryzen 5 3600 could make one hell of a budget CPU at $200 if the performance scales right.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I see my mobo released a BIOS update to support 3000 series, but I have thought about replacing my mobo just so I can get my USB C port on the front working.

Then sensible me is asking do I even need any of that. :rofl:
I'd love to upgrade my server but as you said... it's more of a want then a need.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'd love to upgrade my server but as you said... it's more of a want then a need.

Yeah, unfortunately. Id probably just replace my entire gaming PC and move the current 2600 back to my server. Then take the server stuff and throw a cheap card in there and try to resell for something.

Everything is working as it should right now. So Ill just leave well enough alone. Just nice to think about.

Anyone wanna build a PC? You buy the parts and Ill put it together. :hsughlol: :hsughlol: Thats usually the fun part for me anyway.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Except, the 2920x isn't much faster than a Ryzen 5 3600x. And the cost of the motherboards will probably kill any savings.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/3354vs3485vs3494

More multi-heading. But way more power consumption and heat, plus more expensive socket.

You can get the mobos for 200. You are too focused on passmark score. You gotta ditch Freenas and join the unRAID train. Cores and threads+GPU > Passmark scores.

Also, hardware transcoding for Plex has come a looooooooooong way. Even in a year. Plus us unRAIDers get to pass through a GPU to a docker container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhHiFAXwOE&t=862s

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You can get the mobos for 200. You are too focused on passmark score. You gotta ditch Freenas and join the unRAID train. Cores and threads+GPU > Passmark scores.

Also, hardware transcoding for Plex has come a looooooooooong way. Even in a year. Plus us unRAIDers get to pass through a GPU to a docker container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhHiFAXwOE&t=862s

Won't say never ditching FreeNAS, but FreeNAS would have to royally fuck up before I ditched it.

As for Passmark, I use it because its a very good general benchmark for the types of things I look for in a CPU.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Won't say never ditching FreeNAS, but FreeNAS would have to royally fuck up before I ditched it.

As for Passmark, I use it because its a very good general benchmark for the types of things I look for in a CPU.

I was hardcore into FreeNAS a while back went full on server grade hardware and then when they had their Corral debockle and went straight Linux with ZoL and LXC containers.

Eventually had the realization that this is just 85% media and I don't want to administer storage at home like I need to at work. I switched to UNRaid and never looked back. Stupid simple, speed is fine with cache drives for personal data and all my apps are auto updated with minimal fuss.

Everything important gets backed up to my buddies array and vise a versa. If you understand the limitations its a great alternative to the average user (Which I get you arent just explaining my road) vs something like a Synology. You have ease of applications and use, "parity", and the best of all easy array growth.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I was hardcore into FreeNAS a while back went full on server grade hardware and then when they had their Corral debockle and went straight Linux with ZoL and LXC containers.

Eventually had the realization that this is just 85% media and I don't want to administer storage at home like I need to at work. I switched to UNRaid and never looked back. Stupid simple, speed is fine with cache drives for personal data and all my apps are auto updated with minimal fuss.

Everything important gets backed up to my buddies array and vise a versa. If you understand the limitations its a great alternative to the average user (Which I get you arent just explaining my road) vs something like a Synology. You have ease of applications and use, "parity", and the best of all easy array growth.

That alone is why I went unraid. If I wanted to build a freenas server now, I would have to get X amount of drives that are the same and then get X amount of ram per TB of storage, then yadayadayada. I started my unraid road with an i5 2300, 8 gigs of ram and I got 2 8TB drives. One for parity and the other for data and used a couple other drives I had. I then upgraded hardware and unraid didnt give a crap and continued to do what it do after the refresh and boot up. I then added another HDD for storage. It said cool, preclear, stop array, add to array, start array. Boom. 3 more TBs.

I really want to add more data drives, but might get by with using the ones I have from my old box once I get it back from my buddy. So my next drive will be another parity for dual parity.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
So I sold my 2060 on FB today for $250 cash. Picked up an ROG Strix RTX2080 OC Gaming from Amazon for $700 on prime with next day shipping. I can wait. I crossed over into the 4k game last weekend, and the 2060 has been struggling as you can imagine. Everything at medium settings just to get my 60fps locked. Should be able to damn near max out everything again like I was before with 1080. Im super excited. Anyone else got new hardware coming or planning a new build?

The Ryzen 3900x is looking good. But i cant bring myself to swap out my 7700k that runs 5ghz easy especially since Im 4k gaming now. A new CPU most likely wont do anything past what I can already get since I will be forsure GPU bottlenecked.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So I sold my 2060 on FB today for $250 cash. Picked up an ROG Strix RTX2080 OC Gaming from Amazon for $700 on prime with next day shipping. I can wait. I crossed over into the 4k game last weekend, and the 2060 has been struggling as you can imagine. Everything at medium settings just to get my 60fps locked. Should be able to damn near max out everything again like I was before with 1080. Im super excited. Anyone else got new hardware coming or planning a new build?

The Ryzen 3900x is looking good. But i cant bring myself to swap out my 7700k that runs 5ghz easy especially since Im 4k gaming now. A new CPU most likely wont do anything past what I can already get since I will be forsure GPU bottlenecked.

Dude, you need to return that right now and wait for the 2080 Super. Especially since you do 4k gaming.

Thread Info