IMG_20190413_144055.jpeg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah, I saw some info for the 3 series. I wouldnt mind the 3700 or 3800X for my unraid machine. The 6500 does what I need it to do, but I want to try to do some more VM stuff.

It really needs a video card or 2 actually. I apparently cant do much with an OSX VM with onboard intel graphics. Or Im just stupid and cant figure it out. :rofl:

Even a 1050TI would do damage with plex transcoding.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, I saw some info for the 3 series. I wouldnt mind the 3700 or 3800X for my unraid machine. The 6500 does what I need it to do, but I want to try to do some more VM stuff.

It really needs a video card or 2 actually. I apparently cant do much with an OSX VM with onboard intel graphics. Or Im just stupid and cant figure it out. :rofl:

Even a 1050TI would do damage with plex transcoding.

The speeds the NVEnc plugin can get up to in Handbrake is flat out insane I see something like 175-225fps on 1080p content at high quality settings. And standard def content is over 1000fps.

However, the problem is that despite its insane speeds, it just doesn't compare to CPU encoded content in terms of quality or file size. It doesn't deliver on quality or compression efficiency.

I have a test file I use for compression efficiency. The Light Bike scene from Tron Legacy. It has lots of bright colors, but also deep blacks so I can see how it crushes shadows and loses details.

The source file is 2010MB.

The NVEnc H265 encoded ends up at 1078MB, 50% smaller roughly. It encodes and average of 178fps.

The standard H265 Codec ends up around 623MB in size, and is better quality than the NVEnc codec that is almost twice the size. Though the speed is only about 12.5fps. So its way slower.

You can see how much detail is lost in the face its so blurry in comparison to both the original and H265 Handbrake snaps. You can also see in the 2nd shot the banding around the background lights against the dark sky.

if the file sizes were comparable I'd probably use it for Special Features and the like. That way they'd compress super fast and I don't care too much about quality on special features. But for any real movies/shows? If I'm going to compress it, I'll use the standard H265 codec and retain near original quality at 1/4 the size in comparison to NVEnc which is lower quality and half as efficient.

Original File:
47954530618_08f2e03456_o.png

Handbrake H265 RF22 Medium Preset
47954530688_e37ace890f_o.png

NVEnc H265 RF22 High Quality
47954513582_0517245610_o.png

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah. I'd take advantage of it. Except they haven't gotten it working in FreeBSD yet, so it also doesn't work in FreeNAS.

:(

Would be nice to take advantage of some acceleration. But I figure with a Ryzen 3800x at the helm it will devour even 4k content.

Yeah, Spaceinvader1 posted a video not too long ago on how to get it to work with unraid. So now my wheels are turning. hehe.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So I bought another Fractal Design Define R6 since it was on sale again on amazon. And micro center price matched. That store would make me broke AF. Lol. Had to fight getting a Ryzen 1700X for $130.

So I combined all the sleds from both cases into one. I might need more. :hs: Not now obviously.

6fb3bece319fac2d0acd0f7af3a30688.jpg

My only problem is trying to find optimal cooling. My old case was seeing my parity drive reach high 90s Fahrenheit on the floor and getting dusty. So I put everything into the new case, along with 3 Noctua NF-P12s into the front, relocated one of the stock fans to the bottom as an intake, and one exhaust. So 4 intake, one exhaust. Temps went down a little but it’s sitting at 90. Wondering if I should add some exhaust fans to the top of the case to balance out the pressure.

Thing is also more audible as well. Not unbearable but I can hear it compared to my gaming computer in the same case with less fans.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Supposedly Plex fixed the 4K color space issue but none of the Plex updates fix the washed out colors when you transcode a 4K HDR stream.

Getting annoyed as other apps have fixed it.

Plex has been dropping the ball lately IMO.

Ever since they went to AWS hosted auth its been a downward spiral. Xbox One app has a memory leak or something and has been that way for over 12 months. Constant buffering even on direct play with wired connections. Pretty common issue and complaint across may Xbox one users. Constant UI changes are annoying as well.

Every update or feature add they seem to break something.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Plex has been dropping the ball lately IMO.

Ever since they went to AWS hosted auth its been a downward spiral. Xbox One app has a memory leak or something and has been that way for over 12 months. Constant buffering even on direct play with wired connections. Pretty common issue and complaint across may Xbox one users. Constant UI changes are annoying as well.

Every update or feature add they seem to break something.

The UI updates were needed though.

No problem with my plex app on Xbox one. No buffer issues :dunno:

I am also on the Plex beta update path though too.

The Tidal integration was ANNOYING AS FUCK! Change the order on the app to last and it would always take priority. Some shady fucking programming. Had to go into server options to disable the Tidal integration completely for it to fuck off.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah, I was doing some searches and everyone says under 100 is fine. Which Im ok with. Just trying to get that parity drive down since it seems to run the hottest. We also still live on the third floor and have to have the AC on even with days like today since the wind is hit or miss. 7200 RPM 8TB seagate IronWolf drive for parity and one running as data. The data drive runs cooler. WD Red is the obvious coolest running drive. :rofl:

I think Im going to move the fan at the bottom to the top and run as an exhaust and remove the extra fan from my gaming PC that I just put in and use that as an exhaust at the top as well. So keep it 3 and 3 I/O. The intakes are 120MM compared to the 140 of the exhaust, but I still think the Noctuas will kick the shit out of the Fractal Design fans. :rofl:

That is not too bad and within spec

All my drives are 65-80F. My external is 82F.

In a Lian Li full tower case. But it is also in the basement on concrete floor so it stays cool down there.

I have switched everything to AppleTV4 at home and I havent had issues with the updates. :dunno: I have been trying to keep everything the same so I dont have to have my CPU transcode anything, but my bedroom isnt a 4K so it will have to do work when I play HEVC stuff. Which isnt often at all.

Still has to direct stream since it doesnt like MKV, but thats little to nothing for resources.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Noctua fans are supposed to be the shit. I’m no fan engineer, but with as dense as those drives sleds are I wonder if you’d be better with fans that are more static pressure than air airflow oriented. I just researched fans the other day and I think both the tan and grey Noctuas had pretty solid CFM and mmH2O ratings so that should help.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Noctua fans are supposed to be the shit. I’m no fan engineer, but with as dense as those drives sleds are I wonder if you’d be better with fans that are more static pressure than air airflow oriented. I just researched fans the other day and I think both the tan and grey Noctuas had pretty solid CFM and mmH2O ratings so that should help.

I run the 120mm fans on my NORCO 24 bay case. I have the NF-S12A's. But might swap to the NF-F12s.

39850482611_c93394a27b_o.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yep. I wish they would make black fans like everybody else.

HAHA, you and everyone else. I think they choose their goofy colors not because of style but the type of plastic. At least thats my assumption and other theories Ive read about Noctua.

I wouldnt doubt it. Even with my 3D printing dabbling, I could tell the difference in rigidity between colors using the same maker's filament.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

Thread Info