💬 OT 💻 Post your computer setup

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
ughh.. this thread makes me sad.. I'm on a fricken mini PC running an 1.8ghz Atom processor a 1g ram and have 2 laptops thats are just as fast. Anyone have a better PC that what I have for cheap? With all the photography I've been doing this year I'll probably build a pc with some of the tax return money this year. I've not built one in about 10 years!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
How's the hybrid SSD? Saw one but 4gb just didn't seem like enough to make a difference.

what do you store on the 4G? OS? not sure 4G is even enough for Win7?

To answer both of them, the 4GB SLC SSD portion of the hybrid drive is controlled by the drive firmware directly and is invisible to the user. The SSD controller looks at the most commonly addressed logical block addresses of the disk portion and automatically stores those for read access in the 4GB SSD portion like a read cache. When a program calls for data to be fetched from the HD the hard drive controller first looks to see if that data is cached in the internal SSD memory, if it is, it reads the data from the SSD. If its not, it pulls the data from the disk itself. If the data is accessed enough the controller automatically moves it to the SSD if their is room.

I initially didn't buy this because I thought the 4GB storage wasn't enough, but very rarely do you need 4GB of information at boot. The SSD portion stores enough that a cold boot, as well as the first 3 applications I use open up like I was using a full on SSD drive. For me thats boot + Safari + iTunes + Parallels.

This review on Anandtech.com explains how the SSD portion works with the disk drive. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd

hmm I didnt even realize until now that Theres 2 different types of ssds. interesting

There are two types of SSD's not including the controllers external interfaces. Multi-Level Cell, and Single Level Cell (MLC and SLC). The main difference is that SSD's have a limited number of times a single cell can be written to. This means that eventually an SSD will be unable to write to cells. Every write cycle on a cell reduces its lifespan, read cycles don't affect the lifespan on the cell. SSD's include complex algorithms to spread out the write cycles over the entire span of the drive, increasing its lifespan through smart management.

MLC's are always cheaper, however they tend to wear out much more quickly (Mean time to failure is typically about 7-10 years though with average usage for MLC drives). MLC works by storing a single bit across 2 memory cells. thus making it cheaper to manufacture.

SLC stores a bit in a single cell, and as such is more expensive. The good side to this is that the dive will last a good deal longer than a MLC drive. Most SLC drives baring some kind of external failure should hold data for about 20 to 30 years with 24/7/365 operation. The real downside to this is price What you would pay for an already expensive 128GB MLC drive will only net you about a 40-60GB SLC SSD. Compared to the cost of disk based solutions its an exorbitant cost.

A 512GB SSD using the MLC standard is about $900 right now. I bought 2 of them for workstations at work to use with our Printer rips.

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
My OG of the OGs

dont be haten

iyhrmh.jpg

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Well... we have a number of them around the house... So I've gotta jump in on this!

My laptop: Acer Extensa 5620 - 2.0ghz Core2Duo - 4 Gigs DDR2, 250gb
Her Laptop: First gen Macbook - 2.0 CoreDuo - 2 Gigs DDR2, 250gb
Living Room HTPC: CoolerMaster 360 Elite Case, AMD 7750 BE (2.7Ghz x2), 4 gigs DDR2, 2x 500gb, 1TB, BR Drive, AMD HD6750
Bedroom HTPC: Dell Dimension E510, 2.6ghz Pentium D, 3 gigs DDR2, 160gb, NVIDIA 8300GS
Guest Room HTPC: Acer Aspire 5570 1.73ghz CoreDuo, 2 gigs DDR2, 80gb
Randomness: Dual 867ghz G4 Powermac, 1.5 gigs DDR, 80gb

The HTPCs are all running Win7, my laptop is running XP (the DHP works!), the Macbook is running 10.6, and the Powermac is running 10.5!

Nothing cutting edge, but they all do what they're supposed to do!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
been helping the old man with the new computers
fuckin HUGE monolith sized bitches lol... calling em TMA-1 and TMA-2 ...yes we are scifi geeks :rofl:
i did all the cutting and grinding and shit to make everything fit, he did the assembly
still waiting on the liquid cooled ati video cards and a couple other pieces to button this one up and start putting the other one together
AMD 8 core, 16gb ram, 250gb ssd bootdrive, 4 1tb drives, aquaputer/resevoir/cooler system, etc etc
the old comps go into my room for network storage as if i dont have enough fans whirring away :roflpicard:
IMG_1506.jpg

the radiator/fans on the left is actually the top of the case, fans barely run even when its chomping on seti and einstein data.
one reason he went to water cooled was to get rid of the fan noise in the "office"
IMG_1508.jpg

coolant res, aquaputer control system, multiswitch in the front, sorry its not quite in focus
IMG_1507.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Curious, where did I say anything about apple? You know apple makes PC's right? Not just phones and iPods. Even if u mistook the term pc for meaning windows pc, I still never claimed macs don't get viruses..... In fact I never had a virus problem with my dell for like 5 years, no antivirus software. Its all about not being a dumbass when you use it

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'm done with gaming rigs. Huge time suck that I just don't care to have around anymore. I'll stick to my i5 IBM laptop and two 23" external monitors. :dunno:

Somebody here can post pics of my old rig :rofl:

most my old man plays is solitare :rofl:
this is mostly for less noise and for more seti@home and einstein@home crunching power.
the williams family has a thing for "overkill" haha

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
1a5b16ac.jpg

63098e53.jpg

Moved my setup to our new place and the mess of cables was insane. I wish i had a before picture. Used 17 of these velcro ties from Monoprice. Don't think it looks to bad considering i have wires for the PC, Monitor, 5.1 surround system, modem, router, mouse, keyboard, and an external HDD crammed into that tiny space.

Thread Info