💻 Post your computer setup

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well thats just lovely. Finally got enough ambition to install my new AIO cooler today. Ripped the old one out, got the new one in and mounted, all loosely wired up based off Corsairs extremely vague online only instructions, and BEFORE i started zip tying cables together and buttoning everything up, decided to plug everything in and fire the computer up to check it. Booted up, everything lit up, the fans started spinning, the lcd screen came on, was showing the coolant temp and I got into windows, and the icue program gave me a message it had updated something so I had to restart my computer. Clicked restart and, computer turned off.............and then would not turn back on.

kept pressing the power button and nothing was happening, the board was getting power, because the one little RGB thing on it was lit up like it usually is when there's power going to it. Eventually I got it turned on, and here's where things get really weird. The AIO was no longer powering up, and once it did its POST it kept giving me a CPU fan error, and would not go any further. I tried restarting it again, but again the power button was unresponsive, and as I started messing around w/ thing and looking at cables, I discovered that if I tap on the side of the power supply.......it will turn on.....w/out pressing the power button. But the AIO still will not power up.

So I don't know if my power supply just suddenly decided in this moment that it has grown tired of living, or what the hell is going on. It's like something is shorting out somewhere or something. I just hope it didnt take my brand new AIO with it. I do have a brand new power supply that came bundled w/ something I bought a few years ago, so if it comes down to it, which it probably will, I can try and swap that one in and see if everything goes back to normal. Its not as nice as the PS i have in there now, but if it works, I can at least temporarily use that one while I shop for a new PS.

But I have run out of time and patience today to mess with it further, so now it will sit, probably for the rest of the week, until I feel like banging my head against a wall next weekend.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Know what doesnt need as much power and cools almost as good?

😈🤡

ace-ventura-mad-slamming-door-7i5yk82xxjopdfwu.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Fish

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Stupid question, you using the CPU fan header for fans and pump header for the pump? Or is it a mobo that only has a CPU header so the pump runs off that header and the AIO provides power to the fans? My B550-A Pro has both a CPU fan and pump header, in which I have the EK pump on pump header, and EK fans for the radiator daisychained to the CPU fan header. My old X97 mobo ONLY has a CPU header and the Corsair AIO pump is plugged into that with another pigtail off the pump that provides fan power.

Can you get into BIOS and see if the header that has the pump shows RPM/voltage? Could it possibly have been reset to 0 across the board/that header somehow got disabled?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Stupid question, you using the CPU fan header for fans and pump header for the pump? Or is it a mobo that only has a CPU header so the pump runs off that header and the AIO provides power to the fans? My B550-A Pro has both a CPU fan and pump header, in which I have the EK pump on pump header, and EK fans for the radiator daisychained to the CPU fan header. My old X97 mobo ONLY has a CPU header and the Corsair AIO pump is plugged into that with another pigtail off the pump that provides fan power.

Can you get into BIOS and see if the header that has the pump shows RPM/voltage? Could it possibly have been reset to 0 across the board/that header somehow got disabled?

i'll get back to you on that one :ROFLMAO:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Velcro is IMO a superior solution in most cases. There are some where it's not, but they're fairly uncommon. Especially outside of the chassis.
I have Velcro on outdoor antenna setups, holding coax and other wires to towers/masts. Some of them have been up for almost a decade, and other than being sightly faded, they're still in excellent conditions. In most cases, so much easier to undo the Velcro to make a change, than have to snip zip-ties and redo them all.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
So I mentioned I rebuilt my old 4790K build and wanted to burn in the thermal paste and just do some typical stress testing and other performance tests for the venerable Devils Canyon. Corsair H100i AIO and 3 total case fans.

Passmark has a max CPU temp test and this bitch hit 100*C at a locked 4.4Ghz. That’s the stock boost clock out of the box, now it’s just locked at 4.4 all the time. Max temp errors galore, around 100 in 3 minutes. Started wondering why the AIO pump was only at 1100RPM and the rad fans were barely spinning. TL;DR is at some point, I locked both into quiet mode with Corsair’s iCUE software (talking YEARS ago, I JUST redownloaded the software for this to check). Put the pump and fan to extreme profile and with the same test at 4.4, it doesn’t get above 65*. It isn’t any louder at twice/triple the RPM it used to be but far better cooling. Not sure why I did that, or if it was set like that at default and I just never fucked with it.

That would explain the weird temp issues I had with my Ryzen. Oh well, now I have spare parts galore. :rofl: Regardless of what AIO I kept or went with, I needed a new case as the 7800XT was not fitting in my old case with the radiator in the recommended location.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp i "loosely" wired up my spare power supply tonight :ROFLMAO: Aaaaaaaand, everything powered up immediately and w/out any drama just like its supposed to. So.........guess when I blew all old dust out of my old PS it did not take kindly to it.

nsSV3Et.jpg

so I guess thats it then. I knew this spare PS would come in handy some day! I will have to double check, but i THINK this will still be adequate for my power usage, even tho this one is a 700W and my bad one is a 750W. So if that all checks out, I guess i'll be pulling everything out tomorrow and and rewiring EVERYTHING again. Just my favorite thing to do!!!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Welp i "loosely" wired up my spare power supply tonight :ROFLMAO: Aaaaaaaand, everything powered up immediately and w/out any drama just like its supposed to. So.........guess when I blew all old dust out of my old PS it did not take kindly to it.

nsSV3Et.jpg

so I guess thats it then. I knew this spare PS would come in handy some day! I will have to double check, but i THINK this will still be adequate for my power usage, even tho this one is a 700W and my bad one is a 750W. So if that all checks out, I guess i'll be pulling everything out tomorrow and and rewiring EVERYTHING again. Just my favorite thing to do!!!
This does not look like Formula 1 qualifying. :rickroll:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Alright, got the spare PS in and wired up and cabling all tidied up and everything is back together and powered up and running. We'll see for how long :ROFLMAO:

My rear exhaust fan had a bit of a struggle spinning up at first, but its going now, so that ones probably not long for this earth anymore

now to go thru the icue program and make sure the cooler fans aren't set to quiet :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

nsSV3Et.jpg

I always keep a spare PSU around for this reason specifically. They either die all at once, or just start acting fucking weird and you are pulling your hair out wondering WTF is going on. My last one would just turn off for no apparent reason at a completely random interval. It wasn't until I decided to upgrade and put in all new hardware and it still happened when I realized the culprit was a flaky PSU.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I already spent a shit ton on a car. It’s a little extra for a new access point to replace my really old dLink access point.

Picked up a new ubiquity Wi-Fi 7 Pro access point

Thread Info