NEW RIDE Possibly acquiring a 91 Hilux that’s 2TLE-powered

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Blue
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hey TCG, I found a possible trade I’m looking at seriously.

A right hand drive 91 Hilux with 67k on the clock, that of course has the 2TLE Turbo Diesel engine. The internet says these engines are prone to cyl head cracks. This truck has yet to experience that… but all the “2LTE engines suck” warnings out there are almost scaring me off the trade.

Anyone have thoughts? Bob Kazamakis Bob Kazamakis DEEZUZ DEEZUZ ?

I’m just looking to cruise this thing, level it out, get it to take 31x10.5s and pretty much call it a day. It’s not like I’m going to wheel it - I’ve got a sxs.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Blue
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Sounds like many of these engines had their fuel turned up, made a bit more power and immediately blow the head and/or gasket.

Non-abusive folks seem to say that if you leave it at factory spec it likely won’t have problems as any heads that might have had (common) defect issues have long since been sorted out.

DEEZUZ

Pronouns
TCG Blue
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I have absolutely not a clue on any of these, Im sorry.

There is always the choice of repower if you do experience that type of failure and parts are hard to come by.

I'm assuming it's a pump line nozzle fuel system that's IDI...

post any tech articles and I'll gladly read through them.

Reactions: Eagle

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Blue
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Hey TCG, I found a possible trade I’m looking at seriously.

A right hand drive 91 Hilux with 67k on the clock, that of course has the 2TLE Turbo Diesel engine. The internet says these engines are prone to cyl head cracks. This truck has yet to experience that… but all the “2LTE engines suck” warnings out there are almost scaring me off the trade.

Anyone have thoughts? Bob Kazamakis Bob Kazamakis DEEZUZ DEEZUZ ?

I’m just looking to cruise this thing, level it out, get it to take 31x10.5s and pretty much call it a day. It’s not like I’m going to wheel it - I’ve got a sxs.
What are you trading for this ?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Blue
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I didn’t use the Fox but 1 time to run for beer last year. It’s just taking up space in the garage. I won’t drive it but in the summer, so its pretty useless as an extra vehicle.

Is it cool and nostalgic? Sure. Might it be worth more $ one day? Sure - BUT its had its entire drivetrain swapped so its not the sought after unmolested vehicle that usually drives higher values.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Blue
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Stop saving the pussy for the next guy man. Drive it ffs.

If you get a nice hilux you're going to do the exact same shit. All "I'm not going to wheel it or anything" to me says that you're committed to not driving it.

Not saying drive it now in the salt or anything but it's a fucking car. Get that fox to 200-250K, it's what it was meant to do.

There are days I am glad I don't have a nice car. I mean my shit isn't always running but I sure as hell drive it when it does.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Blue
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Current and previous owner have never had issues on the Hilux at all. They’ve never turned it up, but that’s a good thing!

I think I’m going to do it. Cuz why not. I think I’m just bored. Might regret it later…. But I actually think the Yota is back to my roots in my first real vehicle build, which was the K5. Might be fun to play with it a bit. :dunno:

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Blue
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Current and previous owner have never had issues on the Hilux at all. They’ve never turned it up, but that’s a good thing!

I think I’m going to do it. Cuz why not. I think I’m just bored. Might regret it later…. But I actually think the Yota is back to my roots in my first real vehicle build, which was the K5. Might be fun to play with it a bit. :dunno:
They boring as Fck to drive and not great highway cruiser in my opinion. No idea you plans for it though. I think they are cool and have had a cruiser with the turbo diesel. Enjoy man!! Where the Fckn photos dough ???

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Blue
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
received_2761949627269184.jpeg

Only non FB picture I've got so far.