3800 **Possible ICCU Glitch**

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Something odd happened on my way to work this morning. I was scanning my car (as always) and saw 9 deg of KR as I stabbed the gas pedal. Holy $hit - I screamed. I thought my IC pump went out again, so I took it relatively easy the rest of the way to work. Just to test a little more, I would step on it and see KR right away. Not good.

I get to the parking lot and open the hood. I can see the coolant is flowing, so the IC pump is working OK. Now I'm worried.

Back in the car, I transfer the log to Excel. Then I saw it - my ICCU IAT commaded temperature was 55deg - which correlates to 11 deg timing advance! (If I understand it right - thats what it was doing.)

I did NOT program the ICCU with +11 timing. It is set to 0 timing advance. Throughout most of the log, the IAT ICCU temp was 55deg. It did have some times where it was 144deg which is 0 timing advance.

I'm looking for an explanation! Please help me understand.

J.E.T.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I was just so pissed off at the whole thing that I didnt want to deal with it :ph34r: :( . I'm generally like that with life. Not good I guess.

I have to monitor my car every time I drive it and I have discovered that if you set the ICCU timing to all zeros (0 - no timing adv) the problem WILL occur intermittenly. BUT if you put any number on the 4500RPM entry, then it doesnt try to blow your engine.

I'll try and contact Ken. DigitalKen, right?

J.E.T.

D

Digital Ken

Originally posted by beyerch@Dec 7 2004, 01:36 AM
ken is/was aware of this and it shoudl be corrected by now.  contact him directly to see if he has the fix available.
[snapback]62848[/snapback]​

Charles,

The only changes made to how timing is done was that the cold start feature was added to the newest revision. The ICCU is a microcontroller and it makes decisions based on A. What you set and B. What it reads as inputs. From there it decides what its going to output. If it is not setting the right timing (temperature to the IAT). The possible reasons are.

A. Incorrectly wired
B. Wrong settings
C. Not getting or getting bad input signals
D. Solder or board problem.

Your ICCU should be sent back to ZZPerformance for evaluation.

I have a test bench that simulates RPM, MAF signal, IAT input to PCM etc. I can test all functions and simulate any inputs.

-DK

On another note.. I thought I registered to this forum before but today in order to log in I had to make a new registration. Does it "time out" after a while or do you IL guys just hate me so much you deleted my SN? :eek:

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
On another note.. I thought I registered to this forum before but today in order to log in I had to make a new registration. Does it "time out" after a while or do you IL guys just hate me so much you deleted my SN?

After a month of no activity your account gets deleted, or at least thats how it was before we upgraded. We dont hate you :D . Sometimes it would be nice to have the big guys around to assist with some questions. :)

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
KEn,

The issue i am referring to IS the cold start issue. I saw JET's car in person so I know he has that issue.

Anyone else having trouble should keep tablse on the IAT temp that is being set. As long as the ICCU is setting the proper IAT temp for what you have dialed in, then the problem is NOT in the ICCU.

The cold start issue was causing the ICCU to not properly set the IAT temp when the car was first started up under certain conditions.

Charles

Originally posted by Digital Ken+Dec 7 2004, 10:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-beyerch
@Dec 7 2004, 01:36 AM
ken is/was aware of this and it shoudl be corrected by now.  contact him directly to see if he has the fix available.
[snapback]62848[/snapback]​

Charles,

The only changes made to how timing is done was that the cold start feature was added to the newest revision. The ICCU is a microcontroller and it makes decisions based on A. What you set and B. What it reads as inputs. From there it decides what its going to output. If it is not setting the right timing (temperature to the IAT). The possible reasons are.

A. Incorrectly wired
B. Wrong settings
C. Not getting or getting bad input signals
D. Solder or board problem.

Your ICCU should be sent back to ZZPerformance for evaluation.

I have a test bench that simulates RPM, MAF signal, IAT input to PCM etc. I can test all functions and simulate any inputs.

-DK

On another note.. I thought I registered to this forum before but today in order to log in I had to make a new registration. Does it "time out" after a while or do you IL guys just hate me so much you deleted my SN? :eek:
[snapback]62904[/snapback]​
[/b]

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I thought J.E.T had the firmware v1.7D (Which is the latest as far as I know), will this affect all ICCU's with this firmware?

Currently my DHP is at ZZP to get it flashed for the timing control, so just curious if this will affect me also. Guess I'll need to whip out the scanner for the first week I get it and scan, scan, and scan!

Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info