Ported blower issues

nickl16

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a used Steigmeier stage 5+ ported blower and took my car up to Mr Norms and had Tim Barth tune the car with some not so good results. The car made 459rwhp and 436rwtq, my car has a 2.76 pulley, JLT high boost intake, UPR off road x-pipe, magnaflow cat back. With my stock blower I made 452rwhp and 484rwtq and I am at a loss for what is wrong with the car. It seems that I am definitely not making full boost as I am only getting 12 lbs of boost as well. I am just wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what the issue may be.

blck10th

Reaction score
I made 467hp/477tq on the same setup as you. I only say 12-13 psi

if you want more put a lower on the car. the port is useless without it. most stock blower 2.67 pulley cars make that power. you would see belt slip on the dyno sheet.

nickl16

Reaction score
It just seems very weird to me to loose that much torque with a ported blower.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Tim didn't have any suggestions?

nickl16

Reaction score
He said the blower might have been over ported. I have never really heard of that though.

blck10th

Reaction score
Think of it like this. You opened up the blower to force more air into it. Yet your not. So you need to spin it harder and push some more boost into it. Yet you have a good exhaust to allow it out. Put a 4lb lower on it and a boost a pump and 60's you will be in the 500 range on both hp n tq

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
your boost pressure will go down because that pressure is really just measuring the resistance. How much boost were you seeing with the stock blower?

nickl16

Reaction score
I was running about 14-14.5 with the stock blower. The only changes made were the ported blower, 60 lb injectors, upgraded fpdm, SVT focus pumps, mafia, and head cooling mod.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
Your making almost the same power on 2 pounds less boost. Sounds like an increase to me.

nickl16

Reaction score
That's what it is sounding like, just seems weird that most other cars run 500 rwhp or at least near it with ported upper pulley cars.

blck10th

Reaction score
That's what it is sounding like, just seems weird that most other cars run 500 rwhp or at least near it with ported upper pulley cars.
Most of those I have seen had a lower to get there.

Kurgan tuned my ported blower car and he told me get a lower because of the power I had made an I was not ecstatic with having a ported blower and making what many had made with just the stock blower and a 2.76 pulley.

I know if I were to put headers on my car I may lose a couple lbs of boost but make the same power/ small gain

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
4lb lower and a 2.93 upper is the sweet spot on a port. Torque will be there for sure. I ran 2.76 upper and 4lb lower and made 515hp/505tq on Steggy stage 4 through the stock throttle body

nickl16

Reaction score
I will have to start looking into picking up a lower... I would love to see that 500 mark

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
If you get a lower make sure to get a new alternator pulley.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
Were the numbers from the same dyno? Maybe the run on your old set up was on a dyno that read a little high. The #'s sound right for what you have. How does the car feel? Do you feel the torque loss?

Marko

Reaction score
I wouldn't even want a ported blower. Right now i just have a 2.76 pulley and supporting mods

If I ever want more power I'll up grade to a twin screw blower. I know they're more expensive though

nickl16

Reaction score
The runs both were on the same dyno and the numbers after the ported blower it was 69 degrees in the dyno room where it was 85 for the unported numbers. The car definitely pulls harder up top but doesnt seem to have that strong bottom end that it used to

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
Reaction score
The stage 5 and up are not known for the best build. People have had issues. Not sure if that is the one with the plates. I would pull the blower off and take a look to see if the plate is broken near the welds.

The stage 4 is the shit. Have it on my car and it performs time and time again without issue. No one has had issue with the 4's.

If 4lb lower car should be over 500hp and 500tq. My car with 2.93 upper and 4lb lower on stage 4 is making 17 psi.

blck10th

Reaction score
I was waiting for you Johnny. I can't remember if I had a stage 4 or stage 5. That was so long ago

nickl16

Reaction score
Before i got the blower it was sent out to be rebuilt and have the torque plate removed luckily. I definitely heard problems with that but hopefully sometime through the winter i will pick up a lower and get the car retuned. Thanks for everyones suggestions though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom