• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Portable air compressor

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I’m the market for a new air compressor as my old one has died which was like 1000 years old.

just basic use one could say, Car tires bike tires, football, basketballs etc, some inflatable pool junk, and throw in a inflatable mattress from time to time.

Seen a few that look like a handheld drill which looks decent And seems everything on the market has a nice digital read out and setting to auto shut off at a certain psi which is nice.

power source would be nice to have plug in over a cigarette lighter option but they have converters I believe.

just looking to see what you have and use.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have this for topping off tires but also have a full line of Ryobi stuff. It does great for that.

for off-roading and airing back up tires I carry an mv50 but it has clamps to go right on a battery.

Reactions: frank and Yaj Yak

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I used to buy a couple a year for my power washing biz. They would get ripped off periodically from work locations so I would buy the cheap $60-$70 1 gallon tank compressors which were not well built but they were usually stolen before they broke.

If you don't have to worry about people walking off with them, there are a lot of choices. The "pancake" compressors are around $100 and easy to carry. The $40 little ones with no tank will do the jobs you mention but they'll take a lot longer.

Reactions: frank

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
At our Elgin house,I have the Rigid pancake compressor from Home Depot. It is 150 psi max IIRC correctly and is nice for typical home and auto stuff such as filling tires, using the blow nozzles to clean things like lawn mowers, etc. Being a smaller tank, it obviously runs a lot in order to keep up with what you're doing. So if you're filling up truck tires, it may take several run cycles to get them up to proper inflation levels. But for basic car 35 - 40 psi levels, it works great.

Before this, I had one of the Home Depot little compressor with the fancy digital readout and all the gizmos, but quickly burned it out.

At the WeGo house, I have a Puma 20 gallon, vertical splash oiler rated at 150 psi. This is what I use to run the safety air locks on the lift, my air powered frame lift, and air tools.

So both ends of the spectrum. I have been toying with the idea of getting another splash oiler for the Elgin house because i am using the air power a lot more than expected and the pancake compressor is constantly running and it's very loud by comparison.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I have this one I use around home. It's good for small stuff.

I've been thinking about this for the track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info