Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

Technology has changed how our automobiles operate, but it's also changed how we design and build them. Innovations like 3D-printing have exploded within the automotive industry as automakers, suppliers, and aftermarket tuners master the technology's full capability. Porsche is pushing the technology ahead with its new process to produce pistons for the 911 GT2 RS.

It's the first time the GT2 RS uses 3D-printed pistons with several innovations the conventional manufacturing process wouldn't have allowed. Porsche was able to reduce the weight of each piston by 10 percent while also integrating a closed cooling duct for improved efficiency, which wasn't possible on the standard pistons. The new pistons also feature a design optimized for the loads it experiences in the cylinder.

The new, lighter pistons allow for increased engine speed and lower temperature loads, leading to a 30-horsepower (22-kilowatt) increase. That takes the car's already potent 3.8-liter flat-six from an eye-watering 690 hp (514 kW) to 720 hp (536 kW). Porsche makes no mention of an increase in the car's 553 pound-feet (749 Newton-meters) of torque. The car is already quick, too, running from zero to 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in 2.6 seconds.

Porsche manufactures the GT2 RS's pistons using the laser metal fusion process that heats and melts high-purity metal powder surfaces into shape, partnering with Mahle and Trumpf on the endeavor. This isn't the only part Porsche uses 3D-printing to produce. Back in May, parts of Porsche's 911 and 718's bucket seats were partially produced using 3D-printing. Porsche Classic also uses the technique to create parts no longer in production, like the release lever for the clutch of the Porsche 959.

3D-printing is slowly showing its relevance to the automotive industry. Other automakers are using the technology long before a car hits the production line, rapidly producing and prototyping new parts during the design and engineering process. This helps reduce development time. Expect to see the technology's continued utilization.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Can they do that coating over the ceramics?

Good question. The temperature and pressure of which the apply the coating may be an issue. They spray the coating at supersonic speeds.

The pads were specially developed for this surface. So it might take years for other pads to be available. The aftermarket might not even bother to start on a project for such a specialized pad. So Carbon Ceramic brakes still seem useful for weight savings, high temp braking, and choice of pad compounds.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Good question. The temperature and pressure of which the apply the coating may be an issue. They spray the coating at supersonic speeds.

The pads were specially developed for this surface. So it might take years for other pads to be available. The aftermarket might not even bother to start on a project for such a specialized pad. So Carbon Ceramic brakes still seem useful for weight savings, high temp braking, and choice of pad compounds.

i think most track people don't actually use these cuz the price is bonkers

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
i think most track people don't actually use these cuz the price is bonkers

The carbon ceramic brakes are what people would want for track use. They have a bigger diameter rotor. So they stop better, manage heat better, have a better pedal feel, and are lighter. Plus the rotors last much longer than a standard steel rotor would. So the carbon ceramics are what guys want for track days.

But you also have guys that want the carbon ceramics to show off. They want the look and bragging rights. But then swap to a steel rotor for HPDE use. Which I find really odd. But to each their own. lol

Now the surface coated brakes are meant to be a mid-level brake. I think a lot of guys who would buy the carbon ceramics would go for these instead. To save a lot of money, have better road braking when cool, and the benefit of very low brake dust. The brake dust alone would be why I could see people upgrading to the surface coated brakes. At $3K it seems like a reasonable upgrade. Finding out how they are on track will be the question some people have. If they perform just as good as the steel rotors with more consistent pedal effort, I see these as being a big win.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The carbon ceramic brakes are what people would want for track use. They have a bigger diameter rotor. So they stop better, manage heat better, have a better pedal feel, and are lighter. Plus the rotors last much longer than a standard steel rotor would. So the carbon ceramics are what guys want for track days.

But you also have guys that want the carbon ceramics to show off. They want the look and bragging rights. But then swap to a steel rotor for HPDE use. Which I find really odd. But to each their own. lol

this is what i've heard people do as the run rate is so much cheaper. those carbon ceramics would have to last a hell of a lot longer and more track days to make the $ worth it. i assume they worked out the math in excel or something. i've certainly seen both at track days.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I watched a video of a Porsche engineer and they were talking about the durability testing. As well as what their race teams were getting out of the rotors. I forget what he said it translated to in street driving miles. But it was like 100K-120K. Possibly more. I know people who said they have the original rotor on the car with over 100K. Depending on the track and driver, you may get 25-40 track days out of those rotors.

There is no doubt they are expensive. Just depends on what you are looking to do. Some people think it's worth having. I think used cars are where people are afraid to buy carbon-ceramic cars due to the chance of an expensive brake job. I know I wasn't looking for Carbon Ceramics due to the cost. haha

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I know there were companies that were cutting like 5-10 percent of the rotor. That would get rid of wear and imperfections. Then they would x-ray them to ensure they were safe to use. Then assemble.

There are also some aftermarket carbon ceramic discs available for some applications. I think a set of the cheaper ones was like $12K-$15K for these. And they could be rebuilt for $500 a rotor. Which isn't bad at all. But I just looked at RacingBrake as they were one of the cheaper kits. But I don't seem them on their website. Alcoa, Brembo and others sold replacement ceramic rotors as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info