Polar Vortex HVAC Thread

lastls1

Reaction score
Figured I would start the thread now for HVAC tips and tricks for this upcoming historic cold. Also a thread to possibly discuss issues that have came out during this weather.

As well as posting how much your furnace ran throughout the day etc.

Winter is coming!

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
my dads induced draft motor took a shit yesterday morning. luckily we were able to get her patched back together... but the new one wont be here until thursday.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Our fire department issued a suggestion of keeping your thermostat up 2-4 degrees higher than normal today as our homes will struggle to keep temperature when it drops to -20. Also suggested replacing your filter if not done recently, and limiting how many times you open doors to the house.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
whats the 2-4 degrees higher going to do?
the system will just struggle to maintain that temp instead of "normal"

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Leaving mine at 70
Stocking up on beer immediately after work

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Right....if you usually keep at 68 degrees, and set to 70...struggling to hold 70 will likely end up holding 68. But I don't know shit about HVAC so who knows.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just changed my filter, I was due anyway. Letting Ecobee do what it always does.

Only difference is am closing all my blinds drapes etc at night. I usually on close the necessary ones for privacy.

lastls1

Reaction score
Normally we are 64 at night. I will prob bump it to 66.... however I am not expecting the unit to struggle to keep temps.

We have a brand new 2 stage variable speed furnace. I expect it to run a ton, but I do not see an issue with the house never getting to a set temp.

House has newer windows and a new sliding door as well this past year. Not much more I could do to prepare unless I put plastic over the windows.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
T-stat set @ 68. Will keep it there.
I'm the middle Townhouse, so it should keep temps okay.

I watched the clock on Sunday, The furnace would go on every 17 minutes.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I run my blower all the time to keep the heat more even so I don’t really know when I kicks on and off, the furnace is new the house is new, it has closed cell foam in the walls and 2’ of blow in in the attic I hope it’s good, but the house really should be dual zoned and it’s not so we shal see how it does

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just changed my filter, I was due anyway. Letting Ecobee do what it always does.

Only difference is am closing all my blinds drapes etc at night. I usually on close the necessary ones for privacy.
Got my alert the other day too, gonna pick up some today

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the HVAC guys around here have been dropping their call-out rates and doing reduced cleaning/inspections. It makes me happy
Residential work is all about sales. They want to get in your house to sell you bullshit you only kind of need or is “recommended”. You’d be better served paying someone more to actually get a proper cleaning and inspection done. No way in hell they can even pay the tech to be there for $99.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Our new furnace at work stopped working the other day. When the HVAC guy came out he said these newer units are very sensitive to flow rates. The filter was 6 months old and filthy. Because we have a dusty warehouse & office he said to change them every 3 months. Of buy the cheap 1" wide filters and replace them every month.

He said for a clean home, and a family without allergies, to use the cheap fiberglass filters that are pretty open. To trade off filtration efficiency for higher flow. It will circulate the air better and take less time for the furnace to exchange the volume of air in the house quicker. I hope I am making sense.

Not sure if he is correct or not. But it seems to make sense to me. haha

House has newer windows and a new sliding door as well this past year. Not much more I could do to prepare unless I put plastic over the windows.
I replaced my old single pane, aluminum frame, windows for some triple pane, windows. HUGE difference. Even this morning I couldn't feel the cold when I held my hand up to the windows. But reading about closing the blinds and draped would be a good idea as well

I open the closet door that leads to some water pipes throughout the house. As well as the vanity in the basement and cabinets under the kitchen sink. Freezing water pipes scare me more than anything with these temps.

radioguy6

Reaction score
New filter, turned off the schedule and bumped to 70. Normally its set to 68 day and 65 at night. Cycling about 3x an hour.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
cranking up the radiant boiler and removing my furnace filter for a day or so..

making a beer run too :rofl:

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Nah, every 3 months
I went to hours because we have seasons that we don't run much and then times like now when it runs like crazy. My filters are white and after 200 they are already greyed out. Admittedly I don't change them exactly on time but I get close.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I went to hours because we have seasons that we don't run much and then times like now when it runs like crazy. My filters are white and after 200 they are already greyed out. Admittedly I don't change them exactly on time but I get close.
With all the animals even during summer i have it cycling just the fan. Pet hair really clogs it up

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom