Pneumatic Talk

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 15 gallon upright for the garage. I am going to be running a variety of tools, nothing greater than a 1/2" impact.

What size hose and fittings should I be running? The biggest tool uses 4.4 CFM and my compressor will flow 5.0 CFM at 100 PSI.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
Are you hard lining multiple fixed outlets? In my old house I ran lines on both sides with quick connects off the walls and a retractable line in the middle from the ceiling.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Are you hard lining multiple fixed outlets? In my old house I ran lines on both sides with quick connects off the walls and a retractable line in the middle from the ceiling.

Nope, just going to run a 25' hose. It is not my place, not looking to get real fancy lol!

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
I would just buy a craftsman hose but I will tell you don't go cheap on impacts. I have a craftsman and spent the money and upgraded to a Snap On and well worth the money! Breaks bolts loose without issue. When I had to take the driveshaft bolts off my 88 notch and they had never been loosened and it was the year 2008 they zipped right out. My 1/4 in Snap On is stronger than the 1/2" Craftsman.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have all Proto stuff, it is like the Snap On for industrial. It is good shit.

What size hose and fittings are you running?

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
The hose is professional series where it's less likely to stretch under pressure it's supposed to keep better line pressure.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a PVC hose before the rubber one I have now. That sucked as it always wanted to stay coiled, especially before the garage was heated.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
So we seem to keep glossing over NPT fittings and it is confusing me. I just looked on my compressor and it has a quick connect coupler that is 1/4" coming out of the unit.

If I run 1/4" coupler out of the compressor, 1/4" coupler at the end of the hose, and 1/4" quick connect on the tool....won't it choke the tool out assuming I am running 1/2" line?

Intel

Reaction score
Never had a problem with the basic fittings from home depot with my IR2135 etc. When I redid my setup though I went with the Milton Hi Flo fittings. Wasn't a need more of a want. The impact goes a little bit better but I haven't challenged it too much. This is all with 3/8 hose though. Don't see a need to go 1/2 inch until you get to the bigger 3/4 or 1 inch impacts.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with the basic fittings from home depot with my IR2135 etc. When I redid my setup though I went with the Milton Hi Flo fittings. Wasn't a need more of a want. The impact goes a little bit better but I haven't challenged it too much. This is all with 3/8 hose though. Don't see a need to go 1/2 inch until you get to the bigger 3/4 or 1 inch impacts.
When you say "basic fittings" are you referring to 1/4" NPT fittings? I have a 3/4" & 1" impacts, but that is overkill for anything I will be doing.

Good to know that your 1/2" IR runs off of that setup though. Thanks!

Intel

Reaction score
When you say "basic fittings" are you referring to 1/4" NPT fittings? I have a 3/4" & 1" impacts, but that is overkill for anything I will be doing.

Good to know that your 1/2" IR runs off of that setup though. Thanks!
People on garagejournal claim it will run better on 1/2 but I haven't run into anything even honda crank bolts that have stopped it without snapping first. No reason in my book to lug around 1/2 but that is my garage wrenching opinon.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well I should be all set.....Ordered up a Goodyear 3/8" 50' rubber hose, all new Milton Hi-Flo 1/4" fittings, air chuck, and blow gun. The Hi-Flow fittings/couplers are nice upgrade over what came installed on the compressor. Looking forward to testing everything out!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom