đź”– Deals Plasma Cutter

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
yea like 24 hour deal, I don't have 220 in my garage (even though this plasma cutter says 110/220, videos out there say GO 220). Going to try and run a 20am 110 (for other stuff) and a 220 circuit in the next couple days but now to sit and wait for deals on welders/plasma cutters.

Then to try and go through SOME sort of training or crash course for safety reasons :rofl:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Plasma cutters are the fucking bidniz. I want to get one, bad.

I agree! I have been wanting one so badly! I do have access to my friend's CNC plasma cutter, but it sure would be nice to have my own in-house!

yea like 24 hour deal, I don't have 220 in my garage (even though this plasma cutter says 110/220, videos out there say GO 220). Going to try and run a 20am 110 (for other stuff) and a 220 circuit in the next couple days but now to sit and wait for deals on welders/plasma cutters.

Then to try and go through SOME sort of training or crash course for safety reasons :rofl:

Just a possible suggestion, but depending on how many circuits you plan to need to run, at what voltages and amperages, it may simplify things to run a subpanel to your garage from your main panel. Of course, this is excepted if your main is already located in the garage, like many are. I ended up doing a sub-panel for my old garage from my basement when I wired the circuitry for my 220v TIG welder. For me it made more sense so that I could have a circuit capable of supporting a much higher amperage, whether it be 110v or 220v, since garage tools can pull some power!

I have access to a laser at work. Oh the things that can be made haha

I haven't had the pleasure of using a laser cutter yet, but I sure would like to! The tolerance to which things can be cut is insane! Just out of sheer curiosity, how many axes is that laser that you use capable of cutting on? Is it just XYZ or can it do a fourth axis for angled cuts?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Anyone know any good deals on a mig? Like 5/700 range?

I bought my Lincoln Electric Powermig 140C for somewhere around that price brand new about 8 years ago. It is a 110volt machine, which some people will tell you isn't enough, but they usually have no clue what they are talking about or buy a machine on a stretched budget with capabilities way beyond what they will ever use the machine for. I also own a very expensive 220v Lincoln TIG machine, but I rarely need its power because the 140C can take care of 99% of what needs to be done in the home fabrication workshop. It's also more convenient for most folks to not have to run a 220v circuit in their garage.

Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart are some of the better quality brands for welding machines. With welders, in my experience, you do get what you pay for.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
I haven't had the pleasure of using a laser cutter yet, but I sure would like to! The tolerance to which things can be cut is insane! Just out of sheer curiosity, how many axes is that laser that you use capable of cutting on? Is it just XYZ or can it do a fourth axis for angled cuts?

Only XYZ. We have a 2000 watt fiber optic laser. It's pretty awesome to watch it go

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I had a big response typed out but it didn't go through.
Miller and lincoln welders are overpriced crap. Hobart is the best of them all. The import market has been doing VERY well with transformer migs. I have yet to find an inverter mig that impresses me. I've doing sales,service,repair and more for welding machines for the past 2 years.
If I needed a 110v mig welder I would go eastwood, lotos, ahp, norstar, longevity. All the 135-140 models come from the same factory and work REALLY damn well especially for the price. The only thing miller and lincoln have going for them resale value. The cheaper imports will out perform those miller/lincoln.
Hobart is good stuff though. Their handler 140 is probably the best one 110v on the market, but it's also got a steeper price tag (around $500)
These are just my opinions

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I had a big response typed out but it didn't go through.
Miller and lincoln welders are overpriced crap. Hobart is the best of them all. The import market has been doing VERY well with transformer migs. I have yet to find an inverter mig that impresses me. I've doing sales,service,repair and more for welding machines for the past 2 years.
If I needed a 110v mig welder I would go eastwood, lotos, ahp, norstar, longevity. All the 135-140 models come from the same factory and work REALLY damn well especially for the price. The only thing miller and lincoln have going for them resale value. The cheaper imports will out perform those miller/lincoln.
Hobart is good stuff though. Their handler 140 is probably the best one 110v on the market, but it's also got a steeper price tag (around $500)
These are just my opinions

Could you please be more specific regarding the technical reasoning behind your low opinion of the Lincoln and Miller equipment? Which company do you do sales for, by the way?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I no longer do sales anymore. I did and you won't hear me speak of them ever.
I just don't care for the performance from the higher brand name machines. I also don't care for the way some of their drive roll assemblies are setup or how their terminals are or the locations.
I did a job and borrowed a places millermatic 251 or 252 (can't remember off the top of my head) didn't even come close to the duty cycle but as soon as the welder got warm it welded like complete crap. Inconsistent wire feed speeds and such.
Lots of people will take a lincoln over a miller for a mig as the miller has too 'harsh' of an arc. I tend to agree, the Lincoln is smoother.
on the flip side, the import machines are good but the accessories are crap. Such as the ground cable and gun as as cheap as humanly possible as well as the regulator. But you can upgrade those for less than you would have into a bigger name unit.
Like I said though this is just my personal opinion and others may see it differently than i. I have owned more welders than I can remember. Mainly tig welders, then mig then plasma cutters.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info